PDA

View Full Version : Some Wilt-Related Stuff...Of Course

pitbulllady
04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
First up...I debated whether this was pure "fan art" or not, but since it's large(about eight feet long)and partly includes a background made and cut out by students, I put it here. It's a "mural" of sorts, made from cut paper(and a simulated jellyfish made of a balled-up clear plastic trash bag) and crayons and markers, that adorns the wall between the two doors to my classroom at one of my schools, the one with the younger grades. Some of the teachers got together and thought it would be neat to have a school-wide mural that would sort of "tie" the various rooms and halls together, and they figured that an undersea theme would be cute. So, they set about making hundreds of copies of one same little fish, having their homeroom students color them and cut them out, and then taped them to strips of blue bulletin board paper. Now, being the ART teacher, I couldn't go with the same-old, same-old, so here's MINE:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Fanart/DSCF6117.jpg

Yes, Wilt is wearing a swim fin on his stump of a left arm. I got that idea from a "Shark Week" program on the Discovery Channel, in which they interviewed some 80-year-old guy who is a world-champion long-distance swimmer, in spite of having had his left arm bitten off, at about the same place that Wilt's has been amputated, by a Bull shark. He refused to let that make him afraid of swimming, and he wears a modified swim fin strapped to the stump of his arm, and yes, he's still competing. Did I mention he was 80 years old?

Next up is a Wilt keychain I made today while doing the laundry, because I was bored, and I wanted to try out this Sculpey Bendable Clay I'd bought over a year ago and never done much with. Unfortunately, the flash washed it out a bit, making it hard to see his eyes, but they're there. This stuff seems pretty tough and sturdy, though I found out earlier with an experimental piece that if you actually cook it for as long as the directions recommend, and at the temperatures they recommend, it will scorch and turn black!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Fanart/DSCF6158.jpg

pitbulllady

Sparky
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
:clap: That's awesome. And the keychain is better than that beaded Wilt head I made a while back, lol. ;)

pitbulllady
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
It waits to be seen how well that Sculpey Bendable Clay will hold up, though, riding around in my pants pocket all day, or inside my purse, and getting dropped...still, most of the Sculpey products I've used are really durable and tough, so this should be, as well.

pitbulllady

Lynnie
04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Oooh, the mural is adorible. That's a cool idea about wearing a fin on the stump. Animals learn to evolve to where they get by, imaginary friends certainly can too!

And the keychain is right on the mark, awesome. I hope it holds up too. :D

jekylljuice
04-21-2008, 05:46 AM
That's some mighty fine custom-made Wilt stuff you have there, PBL. Hope you have fun with that new keychain of yours. :D

WiltsAKGirl17
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry for just noticing this a month later... Heh heh. :-[

I like the mural. I wish they did stuff like this at my high school, besides the lame hall decorating contest the grades have at Christmas. (Not that it really matters, since I've graduated.)

The keychain rocks my socks. It's amazing what you can do with sculpting clay, free time and some boredom, huh? ;) I wish they sold stuff like that comercially-- I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Mac-a-lacka
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
The mural is really nice.:bloosmirk:
But that keychain is awesome!:D

Ub3rD4n
05-23-2008, 02:41 AM
That was an awesome mural. I especially liked the mask

pitbulllady
05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
The mural is really nice.:bloosmirk:
But that keychain is awesome!:D

Thank you; it's holding up really well, even getting hauled around in my pocket and dropped a couple of times! I didn't know how this particular material would hold up, but I'm quite impressed with it. It's very light-weight, too, unlike Super Sculpey, so it's not a problem for car keys. I learned the hard way that the best way to totally wreck your car's ignition switch is to have too heavy a set of keys! Ignition switches for modern cars are expensive and a pain to install, requiring a trip to a dealer, unlike the older stuff.

pitbulllady

BluebottleFlyer
05-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Both the mural and keyring are great pieces of work, PBL. I don't believe Wilt's been seen scuba-diving before that, so it's something different, definitely. As is the keyring.:D

KazooBloo
12-26-2016, 03:33 AM
Looking at Wilt swim is hilarious. He's got basketball flippers. 8D