PDA

View Full Version : Other Favorite Cartoons

Mr. Marshmallow
09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Obviously everyone on here loves Foster's, and it's at least in your top 5 otherwise you wouldn't really be on this board :bloocross:. Anyways, my question is what are your other favorite cartoons?

Old ones, new ones, current ones? Any cartoon you love today or the ones you grew up with as a child and are waiting ANGRILY for the DVD company to pump them out on seasonal DVD sets.

So other then Foster's, what other cartoon shows do you love?

Cassini90125
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Bugs Bunny / Road Runner etc.
Scooby Doo
Sailor Moon
Fat Albert
South Park
Drawn Together
Family Guy
Beavis and Butt-Head
The Maxx

koosie
09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow! What a question!
In no particular order:

Daffy Duck
Mr Rossi
Dexter's Laboratory
Powerpuff Girls
Wattoo-Wattoo
Beavis and Butthead
The Simpsons
Futurama
Duckman
King of the hill
Family Guy
American Dad
Chilly Willy
Grim & Evil / Billy & Mandy
Chorlton and the wheelies (plasticine)
Samurai Jack
Star Wars- Clone Wars
South Park
Bugs Bunny
Pepe Le Pew
Anything by Bill Plympton
Felix the cat

And I'll wager there's loads more I've forgotten !

Voxxyn
09-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Looney Tunes
The Simpsons
Futurama
South Park
Robot Chicken
Invader ZIM
SpongeBob SquarePants
Hey Arnold
Dexter's Laboratory
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Sheep in the Big City
Evil Con Carne
Time Squad
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: Clone Wars

Mr. Marshmallow
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
And now for my "legendary" list, legendary in the sense is that's how important these cartoons have been to my life:

Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles
Bonkers
Animaniacs
Tale Spin
Biker Mice from Mars
The Tick
X-men (90's version)
Spider-man
Batman: AS
Batman Beyond
Twisted tales of Felix the Cat
Bump in the Night
Sonic the Hedgehog (SATam)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Beast Wars
Godzilla: The Series
The Mighty Ducks
Mad Jack the pirate
Oggy and the Cockroaches
Tiny Toons
The Critic
Family Guy
Drawn Together
Teen Titans
Ben 10
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Stickin' Around
Chip N'Dale Rescue Rangers
Freakazoid!
Earthworm Jim
Extreme Ghostbusters
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butt-head
Kim Possible

And last but CERTAINLY not least....

Captain Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars!!!

Kzinistzerg
09-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I think my otehr faves were Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, Pinky and the Brain, and Ren& Stimpy.

billytheskink
09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
My top 5 all-time would include DuckTales (all-time favorite), Foster's, Animaniacs, Histeria!, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the first series).

Elsewhere, there's almost too many to count... So I'll list the shows I REALLY like.

Among older shows: The Flintstones, Freakazoid, Talespin, Recess, Doug (on Nickelodeon), Speed Racer, Super Friends, Rocko's Modern Life,

Among newer shows: Funky Cops, Family Guy, Perfect Hair Forever, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dora the Explorer, Gerald McBoing Boing, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Arthur.

I'll watch most any cartoon (at least give 'em a chance). I've watched everything from Johnny Test to Clutch Cargo, so I don't limit myself to what I've listed.
I've stomached some bad shows in the process, though.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Perfect Hair Forever
I'll watch most any cartoon (at least give 'em a chance). I've watched everything from Johnny Test to Clutch Cargo, so I don't limit myself to what I've listed.
I've stomached some bad shows in the process, though.

I'm the EXACT same way and thank you for reminding me of Perfect Hair, that show is funny as hell and I am SO mad they're not making anymore new episodes for it. I too have been much more flexible in the toons that I've watched.

Originally I just watched Teen Titans and only briefly glanced at shows like Powerpuff Girls, and Codename: Kids Next Door. But after trying out a few toons, I find I am impressed at how dam good they can be. Some of my newer favorite shows have come from this.

I got into Kim Possible, Foster's, Brandy and Mr. Whiskers,Totally Spies and other shows like this. At this moment, I'm finding myself oddly drawn into watching W.I.T.C.H which I totally wrote off as a sappy girl hero show.

But I'm finding some really good elements in the show and I'm starting to get sucked into it a bit. Of course, there are still some toon shows that I just can't bring myself to watch and can't find anything really likeable about them.

Shows like My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Ed Edd and Eddie, Billy and Mandy, and Squirrel Boy are not my cup of tea.

Voxxyn
09-05-2006, 05:49 AM
I definitely understand what you mean by that last sentence. I used to be a big EE&E fan, but the show became so evil and hurtful that I stopped watching. Billy & Mandy is fine once in a while, but the crude humor is a really huge turn off for me--and I just plain don't like how Mandy, instead of Frankie, is considered by the mainstream media and most animation fans as Grey DeLisle's 'trademark' character.

My Gym Partner's A Monkey, no comment needed here.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-05-2006, 02:06 PM
The only thing I find funny about Billy and Mandy is the fact what the Grim Reaper has a jamaican accent, and that's just funny in and of itself. But other then that I don't really care for the show. Gym Partner just sucks if you ask me, I honestly couldn't find anything to really like about the show.

But what REALLY bugs me is that half of my favorite toons were canned to make way for some of these stupid toons. Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited were cancelled to make way for more "cartoony cartoons" as Cartoon Network put it. They felt the DC toons were taking em in a wrong direction.

Which upsets me because you don't have to have a toony cartoon show to be a good network. CN already had Foster's home as one of their primary shows, and it's obviously their biggest seller so far otherwise they wouldn't be parading the show so much in the ads and the commercial breaks.

They didn't even mention Teen Titans or JL's "new episodes" in the commercials, they would only air them SECONDS before the actual episode comes on. Where as Nartuo they remind you 50 times that a new episode is coming up every day of the week.

billytheskink
09-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm the EXACT same way and thank you for reminding me of Perfect Hair, that show is funny as hell and I am SO mad they're not making anymore new episodes for it.

According to the folks at actionhotdoggo.com, Perfect Hair Forever may wind up back in production, but only to air on the Fix (or whatever the web broadcast is called).
Hope it's true, I want to see Tuna Mountain up close.

CN has their hits and misses with their original cartoons. Billy and Mandy and Gym Partner are in the category of cartoons I can stomach. If they are all that is on and I really want to see a cartoon, then I might watch.
I like the way Kid's Next Door is drawn (reminiscent of Pepper-Ann) and I like the concept, it's often poorly executed though.

and I just plain don't like how Mandy, instead of Frankie, is considered by the mainstream media and most animation fans as Grey DeLisle's 'trademark' character.
Not a fan of that mentality either, but I can see why it exists. Mandy is a headline character, pretty much in every episode of the series (a series that has run longer than Foster's).
First show outside of Foster's that I think of when I hear Grey Delisle's name is Clifford the Big Red Dog.

Matchsticks
09-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I am just going to do my top 5's (because I love A LOT of Cartoons cartoons)

American:
Gargoyles
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Ed Edd 'n' Eddy
Batman: The Animated Series
Animaniacs

Anime:
Ranma 1/2
One Piece
Serial Expriements Lain
FullMetal Alchemist (I got a tattoo from that series)
Tenchi Muyo

taranchula
09-11-2006, 04:50 AM
I like the way Kid's Next Door is drawn (reminiscent of Pepper-Ann) and I like the concept, it's often poorly executed though.

Well, the creator of KND "Mr. Warburton" was the lead character designer for Pepper-Ann. So that makes perfect sense.

But you probabaly already knew that.

billytheskink
09-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, the creator of KND "Mr. Warburton" was the lead character designer for Pepper-Ann. So that makes perfect sense.

But you probabaly already knew that.
I did.
But I never mind a reminder.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I never liked that animation style to be honest, I'm less much of a fan towards Pepper Ann then I am to Kids Next Door. One of the main reasons is that it's thanks to shows like Pepper Ann that all of my fav. disney toons got canned.

Shows like Recess, Doug, and Pepper Ann kicked out the likes of Mighty Ducks, Darkwing Duck, and pretty much all the good old disney afternoon toons and shows before them.

SkittleMonkey
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Heeey... I like Recess AND Doug. Only, the version of Doug you're probably talking about is that crappy new series they came out with after Doug's First Movie. The older version was on Nick for a veeery long time. Recess, however, I have no excuses for. I just like it, 'nuff said.

Cassini90125
09-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as Disney cartoons go, the only one I watched on a regular basis was "Kim Possible", and I really, really miss that show. :bloosad:

BlooCheese
09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't get to watch a lot of TV. But I do watch Foster's whenever I come across a TV with Cartoon Network, and on Fridays, I watch South Park, and during dinner, I watch The Simpsons. So I guess those are my favorite cartoons.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but as far as Disney cartoons go, the only one I watched on a regular basis was "Kim Possible", and I really, really miss that show. :bloosad:

I too watched and DEARLY loved Kim Possible, it was the only modern day Disney Toon I watched since all of the good ones from the Afternoon show were scrapped to make way for shows like Recess, doug, and Pepper Ann.

I heard a while ago that actually Kim Possible had gotten a renewal in their contract, and that they already have plans for the series to continue. It was stated also however that it would take time.

Cassini90125
09-11-2006, 05:53 PM
That would make me extremely happy. Did you see either of the KP movies? I thought they were fantastic; so much so that I eventually went out and bought the DVD's. :)

billytheskink
09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I never liked that animation style to be honest, I'm less much of a fan towards Pepper Ann then I am to Kids Next Door. One of the main reasons is that it's thanks to shows like Pepper Ann that all of my fav. disney toons got canned.

Shows like Recess, Doug, and Pepper Ann kicked out the likes of Mighty Ducks, Darkwing Duck, and pretty much all the good old disney afternoon toons and shows before them.

Cartoons can't stay in production forever. Most shows from the Disney Afternoon were out of production before Pepper Ann, Recess, Disney's poorly-done Doug were even on the drawing board; airing on the Disney Afteroon long after their creators emptied their inkwells.
(largely thanks to Disney policy that limited animated shows to 56 episodes)
The addition of shows based off of Disney films (Aladdin, 101 Dalmations) took the place of most of the TDA's early favorites (Talespin, DuckTales, Darkwing) in the block's later years.
The Disney Afternoon and its shows had a good run, though. 9 years. There has not been anything much like it since, I guess it just didn't make money for the networks.

Now I love the old Disney Afternoon shows, and I love the old pre-Disney ABC saturday morning lineup (Bump in the Night, ReBoot) and I was sad to see them removed from the air. But the shows that replaced them deserve to be judged on their own merit. I liked Recess, I liked Pepper-Ann. Disney's Doug was a huge dissapointment (after the Nicktoon had been a favorite of mine). I tried to watch those shows with an open mind, and found myself enyoying some of them in spite of the shows that were lost in their wake.
But what goes around comes around. Pepper Ann, Doug, and even Recess vanished in the wake of Kim Possible, reruns of Disney Channel live action garb, etc. It's a life cycle.

Similarly, I wasn't happy to see Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, Freakazoid, Histeria!, etc. leave KidsWB only to be replaced by Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Yu-Gi-Oh, Batman Begins, and Detention.
I gave all those a chance, and I liked some of them (like the Zeta Project, or more recently, Xiolin Showdown), hated others. I miss the old shows, but they can't last forever, and the new shows aren't at fault for the change (as much as I'd love to blame anime).

Or in other words, blame Michael Eisner, not his lackeys (or their work)...

Mr. Marshmallow
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't blame shows for leaving, I was never upset for Animaniacs or Tale Spin, Reboot, etc. They all had a very good run and had enough time to do what they wanted to do. But alot of those good shows were cut down in their prime.

Freakazoid and Earthworm Jim for examples were very adultish, modern day toons that were never really given the chance to shine for very long. Darkwing Duck pisses me off the most because it was doing well, they even had a 4th season planned for the show a very BIG 4th season.

That's what upsets me, that show had enough potential and popularity to go on longer. And it's not so much as me being upset the toons got cancelled, but more or less WHY they got cancelled. Freakazoid was too early (Family Guy styled) type comedy to be understood by kids, and I understand that.

But most of those Disney Afternoon shows were canned simply because disney was going in a "new direction" with Eisener and Recess and etc. The shows were not that great if you ask me, particuarly Recess. But it's more or less on the reasons why they got canned that bothers me.

What makes a good cartoon is one that can apply to everyone, and this mostly lies in the dialouge and script work. Kim Possible, Foster's, and even Ying Yang Yoi have fresh, original, and downright crazy dialouge that works on a much more adult level. I especially saw this in Kim Possible.

The way Ron Stoppable spoke like a true teen, using slangs for everything, even slangs that didn't exist. Or Dr. Drakken, who in and of himself is a brilliant cartoon villain, he had some AMAZING lines. I remember there was a Christmas episode and he was getting off track during one of his bad guy speeches..

Drakken: "Soon the world will be mine and all the money, and riches, and those who flangers and who trumplets and"

Shego: "Doctor D, you've stopped using real words"

billytheskink
09-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Darkwing Duck was out of production long before Recess and Pepper Ann were in production. The last new episode of Darkwing Duck aired in late 1992, Pepper Ann and Recess debuted in late 1997.
If anything replaced Darkwing Duck production in Disney's studios, it'd be Goof Troop, Bonkers, and/or Aladdin; which all were released within 3 years of the last DD.

Now, the Mighty Ducks may have died in favor of Recess, Doug, and Pepper Ann and that is unfortunate. But it isn't unprecedented and certainly isn't the fault of those who created the new shows.
Networks move in new directions all the time. It's just TV business.

Now, I thought Recess was applicable to most folks(even to me), Recess is something that most American kids have experienced. Reminded me of all the fun I had with my friends on the elementary school playground with all sorts of silly, quirky, and exaggerated things thrown in.
There was made up slang in Recess as well... For what that's worth.

Fomalhaut
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I kinda like Totally Spies; on CN I watch only Foster's. There's only 1 anime I watch, but only if I have the time: Shaman King. I think it's a cool and funny show, and it's not all about fighting like Dragonball and other garbage.

taranchula
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Cartoons can't stay in production forever.

Try telling that to Fox and Matt Groening. 8D

OpenYourMind
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I'll just post my favourite shows as I see the discussion is getting more specific. I absolutely adore cartoons and my favourites are Courage TCD, Ed, Edd and Eddie, Grim and Mandy (though I've seen a few of those), PPG and Simpsons I guess but the old ones.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Darkwing Duck was still being planned to release more stuff, every where I've looked a 4th season is constantly referred to and even episode titles and plans for certain characters to return. Plus the ending of one of the episodes in the 3rd season clearly sets it up.

Just because businesses go in "new directions" that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be one everyone likes. Pepper Ann and those shows were of an entirely different breed of cartoon then the likes of Bonkers, Goof Troop, and the others. Which is one of the reasons I dislike Eisner.

Neither Darkwing nor any of those afternoon shows had any bad ratings, Darkwing wouldn't have been preparing a 4th season if the ratings said they were bad. Disney's toons are nothing like they used to be, everyone knows that cartoons of today don't match up as good as the toons from back then.

And by today I am referring to "majority" of new toons.

kageri
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Actually, I can't stand KND's animation (the enormous, balloonish hands and feet and impossibly skinny limbs, I think), but I'm just weird.

vinny
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
kageri is rite.

billytheskink
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Darkwing Duck was still being planned to release more stuff, every where I've looked a 4th season is constantly referred to and even episode titles and plans for certain characters to return. Plus the ending of one of the episodes in the 3rd season clearly sets it up.

Just because businesses go in "new directions" that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be one everyone likes. Pepper Ann and those shows were of an entirely different breed of cartoon then the likes of Bonkers, Goof Troop, and the others. Which is one of the reasons I dislike Eisner.

Neither Darkwing nor any of those afternoon shows had any bad ratings, Darkwing wouldn't have been preparing a 4th season if the ratings said they were bad. Disney's toons are nothing like they used to be, everyone knows that cartoons of today don't match up as good as the toons from back then.

And by today I am referring to "majority" of new toons.
Not saying you have to like the shows that replaced your old favorites; I'm just saying that disliking them simply because they replaced an old favorite is silly. Let them stand on their own merits.

Disliking the folks who made the decision to kill the Disney Afternoon (etc.) I can understand. Of course, Eisner was also in charge back when the Disney Afternoon was born.

Today's cartoons vs. yesteryear's cartoons is rarely an objective debate. There's folks who don't undertand why we like that old 1990's junk. There's folks who'll say that cartoons have gone downhill since production of Silly Symphonies stopped. There's folks who have no idea how you can watch anything not drawn in Japan.
Not "everyone knows" that cartoons of today can't compare to cartoons of the past.
I've found that most folks (regardless of age) seem to believe that the "golden age" of cartoons occured during the era in which they grew up. Makes sense...

Mr. Marshmallow
09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
It's a generalization, not a literal term. It's just something a person can not only hear from others but also see with expierence, the more shows you see the more you compare as you live through the years and think about things as they go by. Things were different back with older cartoons.

I'm not talking Japanese or other culture, I'm talking about the toons we saw and felt back then and how we see and feel them now. It's amazing to think how much older cartoons were capable of getting away with and saying and doing. How sometimes the smallest things can be the most important when you realize there taken away.

Eisner may have been here since Afternoon, but one thing that is a fact is his outcome with Disney was not a good one, nor with the general public mostly. I don't hate the new toons because I like the old ones, I hate simply the basis on why it's removed. Like with Teen Titans and and Justice League, perfect example.

Teen Titans was not a poorly rated show and it (along with JL) was cancelled when Cartoon Network stated they wanted more "cartoon" cartoons. If a show is doing good and it is not sagging in the ratings, no matter how business ethnic related or reasonable it sounds, canning them for different "directions" isn't fair to the fans.

Putting a show on TV and having people create a fan base, favorite characters, and grow so attached to them, it's a terrible feeling to hear that there being pushed out simply because of a difference in directional approaches. To them, it's a show, it's a product that they sell and distribute.

But people live off these cartoons and it matters alot to them, some more then even I can describe. Alot of the things and expierences in my life have been through TV shows and cartoons, and knowing the impact they have on you can make you feel crummy knowing that may have been dumped over such an issue as direction.

I never liked Pepper Ann or Recess, but that has nothing to do with how they came about, I dislike them because I watched them and I didn't get hooked, fair and simple. I just get mad at how sometimes shows are dumped and I have to wonder, do they really realize the effect this will have on some people?

billytheskink
09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
It's a generalization, not a literal term. It's just something a person can not only hear from others but also see with expierence, the more shows you see the more you compare as you live through the years and think about things as they go by. Things were different back with older cartoons.
It's not a fair generalization though. Opinions vary among people, such a broad generalization doesn't account for that.

I don't hate the new toons because I like the old ones, I hate simply the basis on why it's removed.
Fair enough, but that wasn't what you first said in regards to Pepper Ann.

I never liked Pepper Ann or Recess, but that has nothing to do with how they came about, I dislike them because I watched them and I didn't get hooked, fair and simple. I just get mad at how sometimes shows are dumped and I have to wonder, do they really realize the effect this will have on some people?
Fair enough (again). It's unfortunate that shows leave production when they still have so much potential (Perfect Hair Forever...). I too get frustrated with the actions of the networks and I let them know it. Their actions are often justified, not to me perhaps but at least to their shareholders.
Nevertheless, I have better things to do than stay dissapointed, there is plenty of animation out there to enjoy. It's better that our favorites existed in the first place than if they hadn't existed at all.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
It's not a fair generalization though. Opinions vary among people, such a broad generalization doesn't account for that.

That wasn't meant to come off as sounding unfair, so please don't take it that way. When I like a cartoon or even when I'm just plain bored, I look up into the extra details about shows and find out about dumped plot ideas or scrapped seasons or extra stuff no one really knows about.

That's how I found out about the 4th season for Darkwing Duck and even a possible crossover between him and Rescue Rangers. It's in those areas of information I find fans of the show sharing similar feelings of anger that they see what shows are replacing them. I simply refer to people I have talked with.

Fair enough, but that wasn't what you first said in regards to Pepper Ann.

What I said about Pepper Ann was a mistake if it came off me hating the show in and of itself just for being a "replacement". I never liked the animation style from the get go, but I don't knock something unless I have at least tried it to some extent.

Their actions are often justified, not to me perhaps but at least to their shareholders. Nevertheless, I have better things to do than stay dissapointed, there is plenty of animation out there to enjoy. It's better that our favorites existed in the first place than if they hadn't existed at all.

I know it's a business first and foremost but it's the kind of business that others can get attached to, and that's where the fans come first in my opinion, simply because you are making something that carries signifigance to them. A good cartoon show is far more valuable then any paystub if you ask me.

Money comes and goes, quality TV that sticks with you the rest of your life is hard to come by. And I never said stay disappointed, but disappointment doesn't hurt to be expressed even if it was a long while ago. Recent events or situations can always stir up memories you never thought you'd bring up again.

I am glad that they existed. But being a writer and someone who constantly can't help but imagine about the possibilities of any person, TV show, band, movie, comic book etc. One can't help but wonder if the thing or person you lost might have been capable of so much more then you expierenced.

I'm not saying let it consume you, and I'm not saying dread and mope about it the rest of your life, I'm just saying it's worth thinking about what could have been.

billytheskink
09-13-2006, 07:16 PM
All good thoughts. Seems we're argueing (if you can call it that, eh?) over my misinterpretation of what you said, or your saying something you didn't mean. Maybe a little of both.

Then the discussion just grows from there. But that's why I like talking with you...

Darkwing and Rescue Rangers crossover? Interesting. You have any more info on that? I'd love to read up on it.

DuckTales and Talespin were my favorites in the TDA lineup, though. I remember watching Talespin with my grandfather, he enjoyed it because he was a pilot.
There's a cartoon you won't see anything like anymore. Guns are pretty much taboo in kid's cartoons (even war-related ones, like Liberty's Kids, draw their scenes around the violence).
The occasional appearance of Lorenzo Music or Hal Smith's voicework in Talespin nearly brings a tear to my eye. I'd trade the life of any cartoon to have those guys back...

Guess I got off track there, but hey, it's fun.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
No see, it's that kind of classic stuff that I miss. I mean consider this: Disney actually allowed use of characters dying, guns, bullets, Satan, AND actually saying the word "dead" on their shows. They get away with more stuff then Teen Titans did in their entire run.

No laser guns, no "destroy me" crap, these shows were quality made with clever, adult linted humor and voice actors that are irreplacable. From Baloo to Scrooge Mcduck to even the Gummi Bears, these shows had quality voice actors that made an ever lasting impression with these roles, or at least i felt so.

I wouldn't consider this an argument actually billy, compared to the other discussions I've had this would be considered preschool stuff. I've been in some HEATED and HELLISH arguments before. In regards to the Rescue Rangers thing, here's what I found out: There was an episode that more or less set this crossover idea up.

In an episode called "Twitching Channels" Darkwing and Megavolt are zapped into "Our world". Meaning humans, RL, where Darkwing's life runs on a TV show and the guy that owns his show in this world is this pompus, blonde haired rich type snob. He reveals this invention called an "idea helmet".

A device that was supposed to inspire people, but when he used it he got zapped and started receiving radio transmission from Darkwing's world. He uses the knowledge of the transmissions to create the episodes in the RL world, Darkwing eventually realizes he and Megavolt can get back through the helmet.

At the end, they are zapped back and the company president thinks he's ruined. But when one of his assitants puts his ear to the fried helmet, they receive transmissions from Rescue Rangers including ACTUAL dialouge from the likes of Chip, Dale, and Monterary Jack.

The guy hears them say Rescue rangers away and then he says "Rescue Rangers, hey, now there's a cartoon show!". Darkwing's season 4 was planning on doing a crossover with Darkwing after they had successfully brought over not only Launchpad from Duck Tales, but also Gizmo Duck and FOWL.

FOWL (Fiendish organization for world larceny) was a Duck Tales villain syndicate that was transferred over to Darkwing. Other season 4 plans included tying up the loose ends with the newly resurrected cyborg Taraus Bulba (from the pilot) and bringing back 2 other villains for future plans.

Those villains included the "original" Negaduck that was Darkwing's negative side made out of living energy, and Paddywhack (voiced by Phil Hartman) a skeletal clown like duck ghoul that lived inside a jack in the box and possesed Quackerjack's inanimate stuffed toy, Mr. Banana Brain.

All these were issues they would have covered in season 4, and they were obvious plans laid out for it in the show, watch the episode "The Steerminator" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

billytheskink
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Fascinating stuff Mr. M. It's a shame that such a crossover never came to be.
Makes me want to resume my search for the Darkwing Duck video game, it's not easy to find...

Cartoons today seem to be able to get away with a lot more than they used to (like adult swim or some of those Japanese shows), or not nearly as much as they used to (most any kid's show). There's not much middle ground, even with cartoons aimed at folks between childhood and adulthood.
I wonder if that is the reason Toon Disney thrusts older shows into the wee morning...

Mr. Marshmallow
09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Adult Swim's cartoons are designed to shock and awe us, there here to use adult related humor to make us laugh. They were created for that purpose alone. What shocked me about toons like from Disney was that being designed for children, it's amazing at what was so "dark" about some of their content.

Tale Spin had a character actually lined up for a firing squad, Darkwing Duck has someone sell his soul to a an animated version of Satan, hell in Pokemon the main character DIED and was a ghost during an episode and Pokemon is about as tame as anime as you can get.

The trouble is older cartoons were able to get away with more due to their child like nature thanks to the fact we didn't have so many anal restrictions and guidelines. The cartoon "The Tick" was about as adult as you can get, half the jokes in there are more along the lines of Family Guy level weird humor then kiddie friendly.

Alot of toons are adapting anime-esque styles into their shows like Witch, Totally Spies, Teen Titans, and even The Batman. What's nice about Foster's is that it not only is incporating an entirely new way of making a TV series, an original storyline (something I still haven't seen for a long ass time).

But most importantly it has SHARP writing, it has powerful enough dialouge, and vareity in humor. Very few modern day toons that I have seen have been truly original and witty in their designs of the story, characters, and dialouge. The only ones that have come to mind are Foster's and Kim Possible.

billytheskink
09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Yes, that sharp writing is one of the big things I love about Foster's. It's original, it's witty, it's ENTERTAINING. Whether it's Bloo drawing a straw or the occasional Star Wars parody quote, Foster's uses a broad range of humor and I love that. Dry, childish, simple, absurd, random... It all works so well.

Now, I love the Animaniacs (and Pinky and the Brain and Histeria!) for it's dry, sarcastic humor. I have yet to see a show match it (the Tick and Freakazoid were close, The Fairly Odd Parents has the very occasional moment where it nears such sarcastic brilliance). Those shows got some of the adults I knew out of bed early on saturday mornings and watching TV, they loved them.
Watching those shows now is great, kind of like watching them for the first time. Realizing the Pinky and the Brain episode "Meet John Brain" is a biting parody of Ross Perot's 1992 presidential campaign is just refreshing for some reason (maybe because I always liked that election in history class).

I really enjoy the simple humor of cartoons aimed at small children, not sure why. Sometimes I just like to laugh at the silly things in them (Dora the Explorer had an episode where she asks the viewers to help her boat jump over some sharks, I get it!), or I just really appreciate a simple joke.

But yeah, good writing and good humor is not in abundance these days, on all of television really. Nothing new, I guess.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Simple humor is hard for me to enjoy in a kid's show like seeing someone flattened or blown up, it's lost it's edge a bit as I've grown older. But stupid things still make me laugh. Practically everything said and done on Family Guy, Freakazoid, and Robot Chicken requires little brain power.

Other times it's the remarks and the lines the characters say that make them so enjoyable. I remember one time in Darkwing Duck he was trying to teach his daughter, Gosalyn, the difference between real life and what happens in cartoons (their cartoons anyway).

And he got smacked by this bad guy and flattened like a pancake and I'll never forget what he said, as he groaned in pain:

"Normally a cartoon character would spring back and say yahoo, yipee, or something like that....I on the other hand am expierencing pain like you wouldn't believe".

I just loved that line. Which reminds me of a REAL good cartoon, a fine example of physical comedy in toons that I did laugh at: Super Dave. Thet old cartoon show about the stunt man who was bashed, beaten, broken, bruised or blown up every 5 seconds and everything he said was pain related.

"Okay kids, count how many of my fingers aren't broken"

That show was ;D great.

billytheskink
09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
By simple humor I also meant puns and visual gags that even toodlers can laugh at. I love that stuff.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
By simple humor I also meant puns and visual gags that even toodlers can laugh at. I love that stuff.

I think that's what I meant referred to it, but anyways, I see what you mean.

billytheskink
09-15-2006, 05:39 PM
well, more than flattening and blowing up.

Stuff like Bloo "drawing" a straw. I suppose that could be classified as stupid humor...

Nyo
09-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Ah, yes, other 'toons I like. Let me think 'bout it for a second...

Warning: This list is super long.

Cartoons Currently On The Air:

CN:

Camp Lazlo
Billy and Mandy
Ed, Edd n' Eddy

Nick:

SpongeBob
Catscratch

Canned/Ended Cartoons:

CN:

Johnny Bravo
Powerpuff Girls (episodes before the movie)
Cow and Chicken
I Am Weasel
Sheep In The Big City
Whatever Happened to Robot Jones?
Dexter's Lab

Nick:

Doug
Hey Arnold!
Ren and Stimpy (Spumo episodes)
Rugrats (pre-Dil and Kimi episodes)
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Fairly OddParents
Jimmy Neutron
Rocko's Modern Life
Angry Beavers

MTV:

Beavis and Butthead

------------------------

Yes, I was easy to please back in the 90's.

Emma
09-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Nyo! You make a list of 90's cartoons and fail to mention Angry Beavers! *is shocked* ;)

Gosh, there's no way I could list all the cartoons I like...let's just leave it at a lot.

Nyo
09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
OMG! I'll edit it. *is stupid*

That's every single cartoon I watched in my childhood. :D

kageri
09-17-2006, 11:05 AM
That's why I love Foster's as well. Family Guy has random cutaway gags that the basis of the humor is entirely based upon; Foster's has everything. (Note to animators: if you're going to use the stupid-but-lovable-dad/sexy wife/smart kid/dumb kid/smart baby thing, simply adding a talking dog isn't really enough.)

Nyo
10-01-2006, 11:42 AM
*Agrees with kageri*

Invader Bloo
10-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Spongebob
Fairly odd Parents
Camp Lazlo
Simpsons
Family Guy
South park
American Dad
Ed,Edd n' Eddy
Gym Partner's a Monkey
Invader Zim
Ren & Stimpy
Angry Beavers
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats (Season 2- Rugrats In Paris)

Bloo2daMacs
10-01-2006, 12:10 PM
in no particular order:

The Simpsons
The Fairly Odd Parents
Ed, Edd, n Eddy
(occasionaly) The Grim Adventures of billy and Mandy
Spongebob Squarepants
Teen Titans
Catscratch
Invader Zim
Rocko's modern life

there's probably more but my mind is somewhat blank right now, so this is all I'll name right now.

donna323
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi, guys ...

After a long period of time when there was absolute garbage on tv for cartoons, let's give the Cartoon Network and huge "HOORAY!" I mean, thank god they even exist.

Obviously, Foster's is a huge favorite of mine, but it is followed very closely by Ed, Edd & Eddy. I am absolutely in love with Edd and think he is a real cool dude. Other people in my house have a thing for Billy & Mandy, although I don't see it.

Last ... my daughter is a die hard Pokemon fan (I am, too) and she's into "My Gym Partner's a Monkey" and "Camp Lazlo" ... I like the elephant on that one. She also likes "Xiolin Showdown". She's 9, by the way.

Last but certainly not least, I really like "Animaniacs" and have a thing for the "Good Feathers".

As for classic cartoons, we like "Tom & Jerry" and "Garfield" -- the one with Orson and the farm and everything. We don't like Orson or the farm, but it's that time period.

That's it.

~D~

Voxxyn
10-04-2006, 09:07 PM
That's why I love Foster's as well. Family Guy has random cutaway gags that the basis of the humor is entirely based upon; Foster's has everything. (Note to animators: if you're going to use the stupid-but-lovable-dad/sexy wife/smart kid/dumb kid/smart baby thing, simply adding a talking dog isn't really enough.)

I agree with this, not just about Family Guy, but "adult" animation in general. Adult cartoons pride themselves as being edgy and unique--but it seems like that they've become so blatant in their pop culture references and lowbrow humor that all creativity is lost. I'm sure that kind of stuff was groundbreaking back when South Park was starting up, but now that nearly adult cartoon these days just has to have lots of "shock" humor at the expense of genuinely interesting characters and stories, it's simply become tired to me.

Every single time I tune in to Adult Swim's comedy block, I end up laughing more at the bumpers than much of the actual programming itself. EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TIME. I think that's because the bumpers are subtle and clever in their humor, in a way that I fail to see in many adult cartoons of today.

And I, for one, hope that Futurama WON'T be "upgraded" to TV-14 or TV-MA for it's return in 2008. Even from the very beginning, I appreciated that show because it didn't completely sacrifice the heart of it's characters for it's ability to do edgy humor, and was even capable of stories that were genuinely touching(like the episode with Fry's dog). If it comes back as just another clone of the typical "SHOCK" adult cartoon we see a lot these days, I'll be very sad.

Mr. Marshmallow
10-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Speaking of adult rated cartoons like Family Guy, Squidbillies, and South Park and what not.

You guys like/watch "Drawn Together"?

Because I think that show is the FUNNIEST and DIRTIEST show I have ever seen.

Cassini90125
10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
I love that show. Many times I've been watching it, my eyes popping out of my head, saying "I don't believe they did that!" It's one of the few shows on these days that I'll rearrange my schedule for.

Oh, and my favorite character is the pig, Spanky Ham. ;D

Mr. Marshmallow
10-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Mine's Captain Hero, he's the only character that actually lowers his standards more and more every time I see him. Especially after this week's episode, I can't believe who his child's mother actually is.

They go so nuts on the show, it's hysterical, every time their on I don't think they can push the content any further down into the gutter but they somehow do. I loved the episode where Foxxy was being prosecured by the Board of Education from School House rock.

The constant use of the Rancor from Star Wars, and his "secret weapon" with the pencils. It's a shame half the stuff they say can't even be repeated in most public areas 8D.

Invader Bloo
10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
More...
Billy & Mandy (YES!)
Garfield & friends
Disney Shorts
Looney Tunes
Squirel Boy (Sometimes)
Xiaolan Showdown (SP?)
Jimmy nuetron
Drawn Together
Star Wars: Clone Wars

Voxxyn
10-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I actually think Drawn Together is pretty good, at least from what little I've seen. I might catch more of it soon.

bloonuggets
05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I really didn't want to bump the thread up from a three-year hibernation, but thanks to babysitting, my current favorite show is PBS' WordGirl. It's about a ten-and-a-half-year old super hero who used volcabulary skills instead of super strength to beat her rivals. And if you listen closely, a couple of our old friends from Foster's are doing character voices.

Grey DeLisle (Frankie) plays Lady Redundant Woman, a thesarus-speaking cross between a female villain and a copy machine, and Tom Kenny (Eduardo) voices Dr. Two Brains who became evil when an albino mouse accidentally fused his brain with Dr. Boxleitner after the rodent hit the "HOLY COW! DON'T HIT THIS BUTTON!!!"

HerrimanWasHere
05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I really didn't want to bump the thread up from a three-year hibernation, but thanks to babysitting, my current favorite show is PBS' WordGirl. It's about a ten-and-a-half-year old super hero who used volcabulary skills instead of super strength to beat her rivals. And if you listen closely, a couple of our old friends from Foster's are doing character voices.

Grey DeLisle (Frankie) plays Lady Redundant Woman, a thesarus-speaking cross between a female villain and a copy machine, and Tom Kenny (Eduardo) voices Dr. Two Brains who became evil when an albino mouse accidentally fused his brain with Dr. Boxleitner after the rodent hit the "HOLY COW! DON'T HIT THIS BUTTON!!!"

Haha! I love WordGirl! I actually forget that it's an educational program when I watch it. And didn't it win an award for its writting?

frankie_fan
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Here's my two cents worth 8D:

Foster's (obviously)
Avatar: The Last Airbender (kick-ass finale!)
Kim Possible
My Life as a Teenage Robot
Wallace & Gromit
Xiaolin Showdown
Family Guy
Robot Chicken
Histeria!
Ben 10
Danny Phantom
Teen Titans (possibly the only DC show I'll ever watch!)
Ed, Edd n' Eddy
The Powerpuff Girls
Inspector Gadget
Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
Atomic Betty
Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
Victor & Hugo: Bunglers in Crime
Dave the Barbarian
Pokemon
Steel Angel Kurumi
Burn Up Excess
Cardcaptor Sakura
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

Most recently, Phineas and Ferb has become one of my favourites after seeing the episode Put That Putter Away. I was surprised at how funny it is. I especially loved the music in this show, especially the main song, which was (in this case) The Disco Minature Golfing Queen. I found myself singing along to it. And yes, Dr. Doofenshmirtz was hilarious!

taranchula
05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Haha! I love WordGirl! I actually forget that it's an educational program when I watch it. And didn't it win an award for its writting?

I really didn't want to bump the thread up from a three-year hibernation, but thanks to babysitting, my current favorite show is PBS' WordGirl. It's about a ten-and-a-half-year old super hero who used volcabulary skills instead of super strength to beat her rivals.

I'll too admit that Wordgirl is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine, and it's one of the few educational shows that actually presents the subject matter in a fun and creative way. Of course this is from the same studio that brought us such shows as Dr. Katz, Home Movies and Science Court. (So they know something about creativity.)

I'll also admit that if I go totally insane and get a pet monkey I am soooo calling him "Captain Huggy Face."

iceberg210
05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers
Animaniacs
Tiny Toons
Pinky and the Brain
Rocky and Bullwinkle
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Secret of NIMH
Last Unicorn
Balto
Looney Tunes
Rock and Rule
Cats Don't Dance
Invader ZIM!

There may be others but that's all I can think of currently

Lynnie
05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm delighted to see WordGirl brought up so many times! I've quickly fallen in love with that show, too. It's cute, it's funny, and entertaining, even for us older folks.

Among others, I've always loved another PBS animation- Arthur. Been a fan since it's debut in '95 I think it was. I've got to mention Pepper Ann again. And Sabrina the Animated Series. Man I miss those shows. Three's also Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. I miss them too. There's also PBS's Maya and Miguel, Curious George, and Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat, and Angalina Ballerina. Of other CN shows there's Chowder of course, Codename- Kids Next Door, and I enjoyed Teen Titans as well.

Man, all but Arthur, Curious George and WordGirl are hard to come by now days. :bloosad:

bloonuggets
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
"I'll also admit that if I go totally insane and get a pet monkey I am soooo calling him 'Captain Huggy Face.'"

And you also know him well as "Bob"?

Mr_Bloo_Veins
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Chowder
South Park
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Space Ghost Coast to Coast (I guess it could count as a cartoon, right?)
Home Movies
Beavis and Butt-Head
Ren and Stimpy
Futurama
Rocko's Modern Life
Flapjack
Simpsons (old eps)

fosters home fan
05-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Dexter's Laboratory (original, not the "revived" version)
Futurama
Tom and Jerry (originals from 1940 to 1969 or so)
A couple of those late 80's Disney cartoons
Looney Tunes
SpongeBob (yeah yeah, whatever, lol)
South Park (first 7 seasons, ones past that are crap, mostly)
Invader ZIM
Camp Lazlo
The Marvelous Misadvenures of FlapJack
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
and most classic cartoons, really.

Lynnie
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah, I like Lazlo, too. And another PBS cartoon, Martha Speaks, which is about a dog who ate alphabet soup and "the letters lost their way. They made it to her brain so now she's got a lot to say!" Yeah, I do watch a lot of PBS. 8D

jekylljuice
05-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Oh yeah, I like Lazlo, too. And another PBS cartoon, Martha Speaks, which is about a dog who ate alphabet soup and "the letters lost their way. They made it to her brain so now she's got a lot to say!" Yeah, I do watch a lot of PBS. 8D

Oh my, how whimsical.

Anyway, my favourite cartoons...as a kid, I always liked Garfield and Friends (I'm old enough to remember when that was a brand spankin' new TV show), and it remains one of my favourites today. Sure, there's a fair amount of nostalgia involved in that, but I also believe that the Garfield segments do actually hold up quite well, twenty years on (the US Acres segments, or Orson's Farm, as they were know internationally, don't quite have the same appeal - a little too overtly didactic in their morals, perhaps? - but I still like them). Even better are the Garfield TV specials, most of which I have on DVD (though there are a couple which were never released in Region 2 which I probably should try to import some time). I'm not satisfied with the Garfield toons of today. I didn't really care for the live action movies, and while I do keep thinking that maybe I ought to give the newer CGI animations a chance some time, a part of me can't help but automatically resent the fact that they're done in CGI (does everything nowadays have to be?), and I fear that for as long as Lorenzo Music stays dead, the spirit of the older Garfield toons will always be beyond revival.

Keeping with the comic strip incarnations, I'm also a fan of the Peanuts cartoons (the TV specials which spanned two or three decades, and the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show series from the 80s).

Then there's Roger Rabbit. I love his cartoons (all three of 'em, unless you count the one seen at the start of the movie), along with the character of Jessica Rabbit, who always cameos. It's too bad they stopped making them, after doing so little - I believe that the last one was shown theatrically with the UK release of Toy Story back in 1996. Oh sure, there have been plans for another Roger Rabbit movie ever since the first one was such a big hit back in 1988, but...if it was ever going to happen, I think it would have done so by now, while the original was still relatively fresh on people's minds.

And I will put in some support for Pepper Ann, because I always enjoyed that cartoon. It had a very quirky and likeable sense of humour, and I always found Pepper Ann herself to be a lot more relatable than most other female protagonists - animated or otherwise - of the time (though I'd probably have to describe myself as something of a cross between Nicky and Pepper Ann).

There's probably a heck of a lot more I could mention - including all the really obvious stuff, like Animaniacs, Freakazoid!, Duck Tales, the Raccoons, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and all the old Disney shorts - but I probably should get a move on with my routine in the outside world, so I'll cut it short for now.

iceberg210
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Figured I'd add a couple that I forgot and one that I just love that was a recent find...

Futurama
Simpsons
Family Guy
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
Dark Wing Duck
UP
and the one that I've recently been addicted to,

Capitol Critters...

happy80schild
08-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I think mine are:
Spongebob
Arthur
She-ra Princess of Power (mostly the memory of it as an adult they are not as great)
Jem
Powerpuff Girls
Time Squad

frankie_fan
01-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I've just recently started watching a show that I first didn't take too much notice of back in 2004, but it's now one of my favourites.

The show is called Martin Morning (also known in French as Martin Matin). It's a French animated series about a seven-year-old boy named Martin, who wakes up every morning as something/someone completely different! He could be an alien, Sherlock Holmes, an Indian Chief, a dragon, a 19th Century navel officer, even a caveman! The show deals with whatever he becomes and the situations that he finds himself with, with his friend Gromo, and his girlfriend Roxanne.

It's a kids show, but it doesn't bother me at all, and it also has a catchy theme song too.

Invader Bloo
04-06-2010, 11:52 PM
My list:
Foster's
Dexter's Lab
Johnny Bravo
Chowder
Flapjack
Spongebob (1999-2005)
Fairly Odd Parents
Invader Zim
Rocko's Modern Life
Angry Beavers
Animaniacs
Tiny Toons
Pinky & the Brain
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Batman: The Animated Series
X-Men '90s
Spider-Man '90s
Spectacular Spider-Man
Wolverine & the X-Men
Simpsons
Family Guy
Futurama
South Park
Robot Chicken
Darkwing Duck
Quack Pack
Goof Troop
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Duck Tales (Woo-ooo!)

Another Castle
05-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Even thgough I just turned 20 this last week there are still lots of cartoons I like to watch. I'll do a list later, but one show I have been revisiting lately is Disney's Recess (you can just call it Recess, but I've added 'Disney's' just in case). It was shown on Saturday mornings ten years ago and I watch it every week. I've recently been watching again on youtube, as I haven;t seen it in years, and whist some things form childhood mind not stand up well today, this show certainly isn't one of them! The animation looks a little dated, but there is certainly a timeless appeal to it, and I enjoy just as much now as I did then. Watching back I am surprised as to how articulate it is, especially Mikey's poetry or Gretchen's technical analysis'.

taranchula
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I got a new favorite toon that just debuted this past year.

Archer which is a spy spoof from the minds that brought us such Adult Swim shows as Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo.

It's basically what you would get if you threw James Bond, Arrested Development the Office and the two previously mentioned shows into a cocktail shaker and shook it up nice and quick.

Cassini90125
06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Seems that CN has decided to bring back one of my old favorites, Thundercats:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100603/tv_nm/us_thundercats_1

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. Are they going to be true to the original series or will the new show be a barely recognizable remake? :macwor:

taranchula
06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Seems that CN has decided to bring back one of my old favorites, Thundercats:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100603/tv_nm/us_thundercats_1

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. Are they going to be true to the original series or will the new show be a barely recognizable remake? :macwor:

They've got a good team behind it, so I have no reason to believe that this won't be a worthwhile remake.

Green Blockhead
09-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Pokemon, and Transformers Armada.