PDA

View Full Version : Episode Discussion - "The Little Peas" (11/22/07)

bloonuggets
11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, as announced in the Thanksgiving marathon thread, the new episode "The Little Peas" will air Thanksgiving Day (November 22 in the USA) at 6:30 PM and repeated afterwards around 8 PM.

I'm personally looking forward to this episode...and what about you?

Cassini90125
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
The first thing we will discuss is the part of the Forum Rules that discusses starting "Subject-only" threads, specifically the part that says don't do it:

Do not start subject-only threads. That means, no topic called "Madame Foster" containing the message "Everyone talk about Madame Foster." If you want people to talk about Madame Foster, launch the discussion yourself. It's not fair to ask everyone else to talk about something if you're not willing to start the discussion. Also, nothing like "Who's your favorite character?" without you actually stating who your favorite character is. If you're going to start a thread, your first post must contribute something to the conversation.

(13 days later...)

Okay, go for it. :)

emperor26
11-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I never expect "The Little Pea" to actually be one of those episodes where it is told by another perspective.

That one was a complete surprise.

Other than that, I say it was moderate. A 7 out of 10.

Nem
11-22-2007, 03:04 PM
What an odd episode :[

Though the scene with Jackie Khones and Fluffer Nutter was freaking hilarious XD!

Off topic, but I have to mention it. The commercial with Chowder made me die, especially the part where Chowder is all "Pepper spray? That sounds delicious! Aghh I was wrong, horribly wrong!"

XD

BabyCharmander
11-22-2007, 03:07 PM
(I'm guessing we'll do the ep discussion in this topic...?)

That was, er... interesting.

At first I thought it WAS The Big Cheese, but then I noticed the pea character. When I saw him following Jackie Khones and Fluffer Nutter around I thought "Oh, this ep must be focusing on the minor characters or something. Cool!" Too bad I was wrong... :(

Honestly I didn't like this ep much. I didn't like The Big Cheese very well in the first place so this ep was nothing great to me.

Only part I liked was the stuff with Jackie Khones and Fluffer Nutter. My little sis' asked what the heck Fluffer was doing with Khones, and I was thinking "She must have a crush on him or something." Then when they got to the rooftop apparently started making out I yelled "I KNEW IT!" and started cracking up. XD

...but, that was about it. Though I did laugh a bit when Peas said something along the lines of "I can't even get CRUSHED right."

...Is it just me, or was Cheese a lighter color in this ep?

EDIT: WHOOPS, there's already an ep discussion topic. Oo; Eheh...

Cassini90125
11-22-2007, 03:12 PM
I liked this episode (most of it, anyway) until the end. Finding out that what we thought was Frankie turning things around in The Big Cheese was just her following the directions of Peas was a real letdown. Nor did I like seeing her sitting there on the front steps, feeling dejected and defeated. I think this was a kick in the teeth for Frankie fans. It wasn't a bad episode otherwise, but that ending... it left a bad taste in my mouth. :sad:

The Huntsman
11-22-2007, 03:19 PM
It makes me wonder just what Khones did on the roof to make Nutter angry. Seems Foster’s resident all-around-cool-guy played his hand a bit too quickly. She wanted to be with him at first, and the scene implied that they were both responsible for what happened on the roof, but she was rather angry. Perhaps she was merely angry due to the order to go outside, but why would Khones need to apologize for that?

Perhaps he tried to steal a base.

One Radical Dude
11-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Shame on some of you guys for posting on the wrong thread. :nono:

Hee hee, it's all good, though.

Eh, I thought it was okay, but it was far from being a favorite. I thought it was neat that the crew decided to do an identical episode from another perspective, but I hope they don't do anymore of these. Once is enough. :P C+ episode.

Nem
11-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Shame on some of you guys for posting on the wrong thread. :nono:

Hee hee, it's all good, though.

Eh, I thought it was okay, but it was far from being a favorite. I thought it was neat that the crew decided to do an identical episode from another perspective, but I hope they don't do anymore of these. Once is enough. :P C+ episode.

I'm sorry XD I didn't want to post in this topic since it was kind of ignored, and I saw other people posting in the marathon topic and yea XD

I do wish if they do another identical episode but from another perspective, they at least do it from a perspective of a character we've at least seen before, be it background or otherwise. Unless I'm blind and Peas has been seen before in the background of another episode =P

pitbulllady
11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I liked this episode (most of it, anyway) until the end. Finding out that what we thought was Frankie turning things around in The Big Cheese was just her following the directions of Peas was a real letdown. Nor did I like seeing her sitting there on the front steps, feeling dejected and defeated. I think this was a kick in the teeth for Frankie fans. It wasn't a bad episode otherwise, but that ending... it left a bad taste in my mouth. :sad:

I feel exactly the same way, Cassini. I might not be a Frankie fan on the same level that you are, obviously, being female, but I certainly do relate to her and admire her. The only real saving grace of "The Big Cheese" for me, aside from Wilt trying to dislodge Cheese from his hand, was how Frankie turned the snide reporter's "dirty laundry" scoop to her-and to Foster's-advantage. I found it really belittling to HER and to her intelligence and resourcefullness to put the credit on this unknown character. I was lukewarm about the character, "Peas", to begin with; I mean, even Wilt isn't THAT overly optimistic! The whole thing with overcoming obstacles seemed to become too "preachy" this time, rather than inspiring. It wasn't a bad episode, and I certainly liked it better than "Ticket to Rod", but it was nothing to write home about, either. The only really big highlight for me was the scene with the killer dust mites lurking in the shag carpet, and that scene with Jackie and Fluffer Nutter-who KNEW? I guess that alone certainly leaves no doubt that Imaginary Friends, whether created by children or not, are certainly capable of some very adult feelings and behavior. Still, the ending was a let-down, a total "cop out" as folks used to say in the '70's.

pitbulllady

BabyCharmander
11-22-2007, 04:03 PM
I was wondering why Jackie Khones and Fluffer Nutter were on the roof together on the Foster's float in the parade today... I wonder if that was meant to be a hint at what happened in today's ep?

fosters-fan
11-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh, c'mon! It wasn't THAT bad. Peas was a hero!

If Peas hadn't come in in the end, Frankie wouldn't have gotten an idea to turn the whole bad news story around! So I liked this episode, because Peas really turned up in the nick of time to help Frankie! ^_^

Shuvcat
11-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I was tricked by this ep too, thought they were showing the same one over. I think it was a clever idea (ala Back to the Future 2, showing the same film from a different POV), but I think it suffered from being the "alternate version" of an ep that wasn't that good to begin with. (I call The Big Cheese the "Let's make as much noise as possible" ep. And I like Cheese. Honest.)

Then again, sometimes when they decide to experiment this way with a well-loved ep, it backfires even worse. I give them an A for effort and E for execution. I was scared for Peas more than I was rooting for him. (Was anyone else reminded of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids"?)

Cassini90125
11-22-2007, 05:45 PM

If Peas hadn't come in in the end, Frankie wouldn't have gotten an idea to turn the whole bad news story around! So I liked this episode, because Peas really turned up in the nick of time to help Frankie! ^_^

That isn't the point. When The Big Cheese aired, Frankie turned everything around on her own. Now, with this rewriting of history, they've taken that triumph away from her. What next? Will we be told that Madame Foster rigged the election in Setting A President? It was so unecessary to do this to her. She deserves better.

taranchula
11-22-2007, 05:55 PM
What next? Will we be told that Madame Foster rigged the election in Setting A President?

Yeah, she hired a bloke by the name of Rhett Conn to monkey around with vote tabulating machine.

A cookie to anyone who gets that sly little joke. ;)

Sparky
11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Okay, now I've seen the ep and I can say I didn't like it. I agree with Cass and pbl. This ep was either a way to try to rehash the popularity of The Big Cheese with Cheese fans, OR it was their way of trying to show us that there was more than Cheese to that episode. Which is a nice enough sentiment but I just didn't care for the end result. Sorry. :(

Crash-N-Cortex
11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
The episode is okay. For me, the episode seemed to be at the borderline between good or bad. This episode seems to explain how Frankie turn things around. Peas is a cool character, but its hard to help anyone since he's small. He's smaller than Grey Matter from "Ben 10". The thing I liked is how Peas tries to help Frankie. That's the only thing I probably like about this episode.

One Radical Dude
11-22-2007, 06:21 PM
If this was a way of trying to boost the popularity of Cheese, then I felt like they didn't get the job done (they could have done a lot more). Then again, I did not have high expectations for the episode, as I figured it would have to do with TBC episode. As I've stated before, they can't all be winners, but this one was pretty low. Hopefully, they won't do anymore episodes like this one.

antgirl1
11-22-2007, 06:37 PM
"I thought shag went out in the 70's!"

8D

pitbulllady
11-22-2007, 06:49 PM
The episode is okay. For me, the episode seemed to be at the borderline between good or bad. This episode seems to explain how Frankie turn things around. Peas is a cool character, but its hard to help anyone since he's small. He's smaller than Grey Matter from "Ben 10". The thing I liked is how Peas tries to help Frankie. That's the only thing I probably like about this episode.

It's not the point that Peas tried to help Frankie, but the fact that Frankie IS perfectly capable of thinking up a way to turn her bad luck around herself, without any help from anyone. This episode made it seem that Frankie is simply one who gives up, sits down and wallows in self-pity, and that without Peas whispering in her ear, would have never found a way to turn that negative news report to her favor. THAT's what most of us have an issue with. Next thing you know, they'll have a version of Good Wilt Hunting from Peas' perspective, with Peas whispering in Wilt's ear telling him to get up off the bedroom floor, and do what he's gotta do to go and challenge Foul Larry, and Peas whispering in Mac's ear to tell him that Wilt's creator is really Jordan Michaels, to make us think that Wilt never would have had the courage to face his old nemesis without Peas' support, or Mac would not have had the intellect to equate Wilt's facial expressions while playing basketball with Jordan's facial expressions, without some hints from Peas.

My only hope is that Peas is rather like Bloo, and tends to "toot his own horn", to paraphrase Eduardo, and give himself credit for things he never did to compensate for his size(or lack thereof). In telling HIS version of what happened, he made himself out to be the larger-than-life hero, when he probably never got off of that one waxed linoleum block on the foyer floor!

pitbulllady

Lynnie
11-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Can't comment too much on this eppie since it came on WHILE we were sitting down to our Thanksgiving dinner. I did however see the scene on the roof with Fluffer Nutter and Jackie and woah!! Romance is officially in the show! :slybendy: That is, where it's a mutual atraction, not just a crush (or obsession) by only one of the parties, and a step further than a mutual interest. I found it hilarious! That scene and the one toward the end where Peas is telling Frankie what to say to the news anchor woman. I see it has few fans already. I likely will be among them, seeing it was indeed "TBC" all over again despite my hope and even expectation that the two episodes would have little to do with eachother, or maybe just a mistake in writing the synopsis. But I need to see it in the whole before really coming up with an opinion of it.

pitbulllady
11-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Can't comment too much on this eppie since it came on WHILE we were sitting down to our Thanksgiving dinner. I did however see the scene on the roof with Fluffer Nutter and Jackie and woah!! Romance is officially in the show! :slybendy: That is, where it's a mutual atraction, not just a crush (or obsession) by only one of the parties, and a step further than a mutual interest. I found it hilarious! That scene and the one toward the end where Peas is telling Frankie what to say to the news anchor woman. I see it has few fans already. I likely will be among them, seeing it was indeed "TBC" all over again despite my hope and even expectation that the two episodes would have little to do with eachother, or maybe just a mistake in writing the synopsis. But I need to see it in the whole before really coming up with an opinion of it.

THAT scene with Jackie and Fluffer Nutters was probably the best thing in the episode, along with the killer dust mites(sorta reminded me of the spiders in The Ant Bully); those things really have it in for me, too, though in a different way. Like Wilt, I can't be too far from my asthma inhaler on account of those things, among others. BUT, I digress...yes, it does appear that romance, or at least relationships based on mutual attraction, IS no longer taboo. Rather than a one-sided crush that the crushee has no clue of, it's two individuals this time, and apparently one tried to go a bit too far(whatdya expect from a guy who dresses like a pimp for Halloween, and sings like Isaac Hayes in the end credits of "Schlock Star"?). Pretty much all of the taboos that were once outlined on TV.com a couple of years ago have been breached, except for the actual death of a major character, and that's one I really hope they keep taboo.

pitbulllady

Bloo2daMacs
11-22-2007, 07:34 PM
"Curse you and your long legs!" 8D

This episode wasn't great. But it wasn't a TOTAL letdown for me. I liked the scene with Khones and Fluffer Nutter. o_o

Personally I though "Imposter's Home was a better episode, but then again, that's not much of an insult coming from me. I liked "Imposter's Home", hence my avatar.

Nyo
11-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I didn't see this ep yet (darn dinner >_>) but I might not bother seeing it's bascially a TBC retelling as everyone says it is. Any saving graces?

I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I heard about Jackie/Fluffer making out. I freakin' want to see that NOW XDDD

Cassini90125
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I truly wish they'd left that out. :P

The dust mites in the rug were funny but that's the only real high point; the episode was almost entirely focused on Peas and his efforts to get to Frankie, first to tell her that Cheese was in the house, then to unlock the door. It was a retelling of TBC but focused on a previously unknown character.

Nyo
11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah I see, I actually find retells of a story interesting, so I may catch it soon. :) Is Peas annoying in anyway? I heard he has a Mickey Mouse-ish voice.

(But I mainly want to see the make-out *bricked*)

Cassini90125
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM
There's no "make-out" to see, thank the stars; it was only implied. >:(

I thought Peas's voice resembled a cross between Mickey Mouse and Mr. Hankey. Seriously.

Nyo
11-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Oh OK, thanks for clearing that up. FHFIF is just one of those cartoons where romance is kinda random.

Mr. Hankey-ish voice? Haha, can't wait to see this ep.

bloonuggets
11-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Was that Keith doing a Mickey Mouse impression in that episode?

Shelltoon
11-22-2007, 09:17 PM
This episode was... strange. I almost feel like taking it as non-canon, and take it for what it is; an alternate version of an already aired episode. I NEVER want to see Frankie like that ever again. I've always thought of her as a girl with a can-do attitude, and I was amazed that she saved the house at the end of TBC. After seeing this though, it makes it look like Frankie has a tendency to give up no matter what. Somebody mentioned Cheese looking brighter/paler before, and in the 5th season of this show, they've been using a different shade of yellow for one reason or another. A strange character, awesome moment between Jackie and Fluffernutter, and a really sour ending...

Somewhere between a C- and D+

Mr. Marshmallow
11-22-2007, 09:20 PM
That isn't the point. When The Big Cheese aired, Frankie turned everything around on her own. Now, with this rewriting of history, they've taken that triumph away from her. What next? Will we be told that Madame Foster rigged the election in Setting A President? It was so unecessary to do this to her. She deserves better.

I totally agree Cass. I just got finished watching the episode that i timer taped and I have to say, I was sorrowfully disappointed. For an episode that used so many novel and unique approaches to an episode, it ultimately fell flat on its face....several times. The concept of an episode within an episode is genius.

BUT it turned to stupidity the minute I realized the only person we got to watch was this annoying, pint sized, stupid little Mickey Mouse wanna be green guy who was not interesting, funny, entertaining or even creative. Had they paired him up with another character, might have been different, but it was JUST him.

Focusing an entire episode on one character is only good IF the character is interesting enough, and that was the whole problem with this episode: IT WASN'T INTERESTING. It was boring, virtually everything in this episode was pointless and useless outside from 2 things, one being the other creative thing they did, the other a BAD thing.

Jackie and Fluffer Nutter kissing or whatever they were doing (I don't think making out is too hard to ignore considering the sounds) was the best part. The fact imaginary friends actually held romantic feelings for each other was something we really haven't seen in a while and I mean GENUINE romance.

I mean granted its not love but its a hell of a lot purer then their past IF love experiences: Berry's psychotic obsession with Bloo and Coco going nuts over that Rooster guy with that green duck IF (forget her name) from "Partying is such sweet soirée". But the real issue here is the BAD thing I mentioned: Frankie.

This wasn't a deliberate attack on her but it was still a painful blow to her as a character. Its not saying Frankie isn't smart enough to think up her own plan to switch the situation around, no, its saying that she GAVE UP and that she needed that dinky little imp to actually tell her what to do and convince her to salvage the news report.

What does that say about Frankie? That she can't honestly do, or say things without having some green guy telling her what to do? I mean what was the problem with just saying Frankie did it HERSELF, what does saying Peas gave her the idea accomplish other then he told her?

It just seemed so pointless, and sadly ironically, Peas is so insignificant and unnoticed and yet he remains the only one who actually understands Frankie's hard work. This episode had a neat concept but it was totally ruined by a totally uninteresting and (eventually) annoying character who ultimately ends up stepping over Frankie's toes.

The fact "Big Cheese" ended with Frankie coming up with the idea to tell the news crew had nothing wrong with it, so why the creators felt the need to reveal it was Peas who said it is beyond me. Aside from some wasted creative concepts, and a cute kissy kissy scene, this episode was exactly like Peas: Forgettable.

One Radical Dude
11-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Was that Keith doing a Mickey Mouse impression in that episode?

It could be anyone. I guessed it was Phil LaMarr, but you never know.

Shelltoon
11-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Considering Lauren Faust had written TBC, I would have expected Lauren to be the one to write this, but instead we got Darrick Bachmann. Sort of makes you wonder if he knows what he's doing... remember what happened with Ticket to Rod?

One Radical Dude
11-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Considering Lauren Faust had written TBC, I would have expected Lauren to be the one to write this, but instead we got Darrick Bachmann. Sort of makes you wonder if he knows what he's doing... remember what happened with Ticket to Rod?

As I've stated, not all episodes are winners. He's written a lot of solid episodes, in my book. This is the first one written by him that's really disappointed me. I think if Bachman is able to write some solid episodes, then I believe he knows what he's doing. Ay-yai-yai...it's almost like when people were very negative towards Craig Lewis. :P *shrug*

BluebottleFlyer
11-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Haven't seen said episode, so I can't really comment. But from the sounds of it, a lot of corners have been cut to try and make this episode. If it were a track on an album, it would definitely be one of the fillers.

ptps
11-23-2007, 05:44 AM
This episode was a HUGE waste of time. It wasn't funny, the entire episode revolved around a character that wasn't interesting, uniquely designed nor endearing, and who WASN'T any of the main characters - not to mention it made Frankie look really really useless. Heck, I had no problems with The Big Cheese - I always believed that all the stress of the situation just led to Frankie completely "losing" it and trying to use the situation - as bad as it was - to her advantage, and I thought it was a pretty smart move.

But then they take this Mickey Mouse voice ripoff (was he voiced by Tom Kenny? I was slightly miffed at the fact that Scrappy sounded like a baby Bugs Bunny) and... engage him in a fairly uninteresting story that didn't even showcase Bloo and Mac for more than five seconds. And they almost completely reused an old episode.

Urgh. Do not like this episode. Do not approve. and what is up with Jackie Khones suddenly being amped up to the "Important Side Characters" list? He actually has a ROLE in most of the Season 5 episodes. I'm not complaining, I love Khones, but... it's just weird, to see the amount of screentime he's suddenly getting. ._.;

Speaking of Khones, I know some people in this forum are probably rejoicing over the fact that yes, there has been canon proof of Friends being able to show affection and possibly love towards each other (JACKIE KHONES COURTING FLUFFER NUTTER WHUT?) but it was just kind of really weird, especially when they came out afterwards with F.N looking fairly upset. My mind went... straight to the gutter. >___>;;;;;;; Or it could be just me. And they appeared in the Macy's parade together too, didn't they?

Oh, edit, I know they appeared together in Funny Bunny, where Khones was telling F.N a joke, so I can understand why they might be pretty good friends, but ROMANCE?! POW. My face while watching Little Peas: O____________O

I just... did not get the point of this episode. WHY another take on The Big Cheese? WHY the random character? Was this just written to appease the Frankie fans and those who secretly ship Khones/F.N? Whut?!

Cassini90125
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
If it was written to appease Frankie's fans then the writers do not understand Frankie's fans at all. I agree, this episode was a complete waste of time and I'm ranking it down there with that other classic, the one with the guy with the trunk. :frankiemad:

cartman414
11-23-2007, 10:21 AM

I think that's a bit much. Frankie may be highly capable and tenacious, but she's also human. We all reach our breaking points. This might have been hers.

I personally thought Peas was cute.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I think that's a bit much. Frankie may be highly capable and tenacious, but she's also human. We all reach our breaking points. This might have been hers.

I personally thought Peas was cute.

That's true, but the problem is Frankie DIDN'T reach her breaking point in fact we weren't aware she reached it at all until this episode said she did. This episode basically altered an event by having someone else claiming credit for something we all thought Frankie did.

This is like Cass said, it takes credit away from Frankie and gives it some annoying, pee wee IF we never heard or saw before (and in my humble opinion) don't care if we never see or hear from again. It's not just the fact its robbing Frankie of her own good ideas, but through this formula, anyone can be robbed.

The only thing this episode essentially was saying that Frankie's moment to turn the news mess around was not her idea at all, that's all we learned other then Fluffy and Jackie smacking lips. This episode was a waste of time and it was upsetting because it ruined a moment that Frankie did so well.

The thing is we believed Frankie actually came up with the idea to switch the mess around, but now we learned instead of being smart she BROKE DOWN. She gave up and was going to let everything go to waste and it took an irritating little green guy to convince her and basically feed her the idea.

It's not a total assault on Frankie but it is kind of a serious downer to take the credit away from someone by creating some unique scenario and one time character plot device to change our understanding of how "The Big Cheese" went down.

pitbulllady
11-23-2007, 01:03 PM
This episode was a HUGE waste of time. It wasn't funny, the entire episode revolved around a character that wasn't interesting, uniquely designed nor endearing, and who WASN'T any of the main characters - not to mention it made Frankie look really really useless. Heck, I had no problems with The Big Cheese - I always believed that all the stress of the situation just led to Frankie completely "losing" it and trying to use the situation - as bad as it was - to her advantage, and I thought it was a pretty smart move.

But then they take this Mickey Mouse voice ripoff (was he voiced by Tom Kenny? I was slightly miffed at the fact that Scrappy sounded like a baby Bugs Bunny) and... engage him in a fairly uninteresting story that didn't even showcase Bloo and Mac for more than five seconds. And they almost completely reused an old episode.

Urgh. Do not like this episode. Do not approve. and what is up with Jackie Khones suddenly being amped up to the "Important Side Characters" list? He actually has a ROLE in most of the Season 5 episodes. I'm not complaining, I love Khones, but... it's just weird, to see the amount of screentime he's suddenly getting. ._.;

Speaking of Khones, I know some people in this forum are probably rejoicing over the fact that yes, there has been canon proof of Friends being able to show affection and possibly love towards each other (JACKIE KHONES COURTING FLUFFER NUTTER WHUT?) but it was just kind of really weird, especially when they came out afterwards with F.N looking fairly upset. My mind went... straight to the gutter. >___>;;;;;;; Or it could be just me. And they appeared in the Macy's parade together too, didn't they?

Oh, edit, I know they appeared together in Funny Bunny, where Khones was telling F.N a joke, so I can understand why they might be pretty good friends, but ROMANCE?! POW. My face while watching Little Peas: O____________O

I just... did not get the point of this episode. WHY another take on The Big Cheese? WHY the random character? Was this just written to appease the Frankie fans and those who secretly ship Khones/F.N? Whut?!

This ep DEFINATELY was NOT written to appease Frankie's fans! It made Frankie look like a loser, a quitter-someone who easily caves under pressure and can't figure out how to get herself out of a tough spot without help from some "little voice", and that's not how Frankie is at all! It also made it seem as though Peas is the only one in the house who appreciates Frankie's hard work, or ever tells her(or at least tries to), and that he's the only one who feels real pride in the place, and voluntarily helps Frankie whenever he can without being told to do so. It's like they're trying to make Peas "the new Wilt", more or less. It's not just demeaning to Frankie, but to Wilt as well, who has always been more than willing to help her out in any way possible around the house, whether she tells him to do so or not, and has always been very proud of Foster's. To have this random, insignificant and HOPEFULLY one-shot character just show up and try to make both Wilt and Frankie, two of the major characters from the start, seem trivial and obsolete is just wrong.

I don't have a problem with Jackie and FN's relationship, whatever it might be, or with romance on the show. I've long maintained that Imaginary Friends are capable of the same feelings and behaviors that humans are, including adult humans, so it really doesn't come as a shock other than romance was once one of the "taboo" subjects, as per CN's orders, because it meant having to show re-runs in a particular order. Given how many of the latest episodes, and even many Season Four eps, make references to previous episodes, though, that really isn't a valid point anymore. Still, referencing a previous episode and actually just re-making it are two very different ballgames.

I really hope we've seen the last of Peas, personally, and I don't think anyone's feelings on this board would be hurt if he never shows up again. I'd rather see Bendy return, or that nasty little girl from the pilot, that Peas anytime. What's sad is that this is probably the last episode of Season Five, and I hate that it has to end on this note.

pitbulllady

One Radical Dude
11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
What's sad is that this is probably the last episode of Season Five, and I hate that it has to end on this note.

pitbulllady

I'm betting that this was indeed the final episode of Season Five, and this was a pretty sorry way to end a solid season. It's probably one of my least favorite episodes, since "Bloooo". The next ep. will probably air in 2008.

Crash-N-Cortex
11-23-2007, 02:05 PM
If this episode is the season finale for Season Five, then the fifth season of Foster's wouldn't be my favorite, judging on the episodes which started this season and ended. I doubt that I may see this episode again. The episode left me sad in the inside after watching it.

swarlock
11-23-2007, 05:46 PM

I agree. I liked the little guy. His contribution was "small" but it made a big difference in one way or another.

It was different and that's what I liked about it.

Cassini90125
11-23-2007, 05:54 PM
His "contribution" was nothing more than a rewrite of history that took something away from Frankie. I would truly like to know why the show's writers felt it was necessary to do this to her.

Lynnie
11-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok, I saw the ep in its whole, and yeah, it just wasn't that funny. Ok, wasn't really funny at all. I liked Peas ok, though. He was just trying to help, but what can such a little pea do? But to sum it up, the ep was kind of lame, imho. My favorite part is still Jackie and Fluffer Nutter on the roof while Peas is walking away, he turns around for a moment and says "Oh gross!" 8D I felt like crying when I heard Frankie sob. Why must we watch her live through that horrid day again?? God Forbid they do something like this to "Cheese a Go-Go"! :madwilt:

Mr. Marshmallow
11-23-2007, 06:33 PM
God Forbid they do something like this to "Cheese a Go-Go"! :madwilt:

Your worried about THAT episode? Hell no, I'd be more worried if they find some way to bring back that jack ass Goofball and redo the "Imposter's" episode.

Now THAT is a horrible day for Frankie I do not want to revisit. In fact the only thing that saved Frankie's bad day in "Big Cheese" WAS her idea with the news crew but since now they took that away, well.

ptps
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
To have this random, insignificant and HOPEFULLY one-shot character

HE HAD BETTER BE A ONE-SHOT. I'M GOING TO START AN ANTI-PEAS COMMUNITY OR SOMETHING IF THIS BUGGER SHOWS UP AGAIN. :frankiemad:

I'd rather see Bendy return, or that nasty little girl from the pilot, that Peas anytime. What's sad is that this is probably the last episode of Season Five, and I hate that it has to end on this note.

Heck, I'd rather have that pimple-faced trunk-nosed loser from Imposter's return after seeing this episode. At least wew hated him for a reason. Peas was... just dull beyond anything existing in the world. And I really, really, dislike his Mickey Mouse accent. :( Arrrrgh. Okay I'm going to go off and doodle some Khones/Fluffer stuff to keep my mind off this issue and to keep me from hating this episode anymore before someone bans me for being a nuisance. >__>;;

Cassini90125
11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Heck, I'd rather have that pimple-faced trunk-nosed loser from Imposter's return after seeing this episode. At least wew hated him for a reason.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. Peas, though annoying, was at least trying to help. Goofball serves no purpose.

Partymember
11-23-2007, 07:10 PM
im really glad i didn't get to see the last 20 minutes of this episode, but im also really glad i got to see the Jackie Khones/Fluffernutter bit 8D

that was pretty gosh darn funny 8D

Lynnie
11-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Your worried about THAT episode? Hell no, I'd be more worried if they find some way to bring back that jack ass Goofball and redo the "Imposter's" episode.
True, certainly don't want to see her relive that day either. Goofball is a...ugh, best leave it for another thread. But at least in "Imposters" she didn't tumble down a hill, get all scratched up and bruised, have to get the bus out of impoundment, lose a shoe, get drenched in butter flavoring, and get a possum stuck to her back- all for nothing. :wiltshock: "CaGG" was both physically and emotionally draining for her. It's hard enough seeing her emotionally on the edge like in "Imposters" and "TBC" (and sadly others), but even harder to see her in physical pain as well. Just MHO.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
True, certainly don't want to see her relive that day either. Goofball is a...ugh, best leave it for another thread. But at least in "Imposters" she didn't tumble down a hill, get all scratched up and bruised, have to get the bus out of impoundment, lose a shoe, get drenched in butter flavoring, and get a possum stuck to her back- all for nothing. :wiltshock: "CaGG" was both physically and emotionally draining for her. It's hard enough seeing her emotionally on the edge like in "Imposters" and "TBC" (and sadly others), but even harder to see her in physical pain as well. Just MHO.

I enjoyed "Cheese a go-go" despite the suffering Frankie went through, I know that might sound hippocritical but I was happy to see that Frankie got over everything in the end of the episode.

The "Imposters" episode to me was horrible because Frankie was physically, mentally, emotionally humiliated, she lost all her money, all her respect from EVERYONE and in the end she was proved wrong despite Goofball being a total a**hole to her.

Plus, everything I saw in "Cheese a go-go" pales in comparison to the scrubbing scene in "Imposters". That scene alone was hard enough to take.

some guy you dont know
11-23-2007, 09:53 PM
i liked this episode. i thought peas was kinda cool (or at least brave :D)

although, yeah i can see why everyone is complaning about what they did to frankie. that ticks me off, too. and i didnt really get why there was that part with with khones and FN. but they cant all be winners.

Shelltoon
11-24-2007, 12:12 AM
The end credits gag is Peas making a valiant effort to descend a flight of stairs... with little results. Peas is indeed voiced by Phil LaMarr. Now this is something really subtle and obscure, but Peas is actually just Goo's head without hair, ears and a nose, and with a thimble, arms and legs attached to it. This is really noticeable when you see both characters from the side.

Mulch
11-24-2007, 01:59 AM
A pointless episode with a never before seen character who gets annoying after about four minutes (in my opinion) and destroys the ending of TBC.
On an uplifting note, look at the number of episodes in each season. S1 had 11 episodes and one movie which amounts to three eps. That makes fourteen eppies.
S2 has 15 episodes, while S3 has 14 (A Lost Claus included). S4 has 11 episodes and a movie that amounts to two eps, which makes 13 eppies.
If you aren't following this off-topic post, I'll explain: Season Five has only had 12 episodes so far. It's very likely that it'll have at least one more ep, which hopefully will leave us on a better note than this one (apologies to those who liked it).

Subzeroace
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Mmm... Ok episode, I don't seem to hate it as much as you guys do >> I kinda like Peas, he really did care for and defend Frankie. I don't like how they changed the end, but Peas defending her honour was very sweet of him.

...I just made a awful pun there didn't I ._.;

Anyway, Peas was cute. I wouldn't mind him appearing again, but only as a short cameo.

...It's hard to NOT make puns with him ._.;;;

fosters home fan
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
zzzzz, OH, um, This episode wasn't anything new. :P

pitbulllady
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Mmm... Ok episode, I don't seem to hate it as much as you guys do >> I kinda like Peas, he really did care for and defend Frankie. I don't like how they changed the end, but Peas defending her honour was very sweet of him.

Anyway, Peas was cute. I wouldn't mind him appearing again, but only as a short cameo.

Frankie is perfectly capable of defending her OWN honor, and doesn't need some pint-sized veggie IF to do it for her. He's certainly not the only character on the show who has ever jumped in to help her, either. That's one of the things that most of us hate so much about the episode. If they wanted an episode about another character helping Frankie out of a tough situation, why not have it be one of the established main characters we've all come to know and love, and create an entirely NEW, never-before-seen episode around that scenario, instead of re-hashing an older episode with this character we've never even heard of before, trying to make it seem like that character has been the only one in the house who ever does anything for Frankie? Two of the show's main characters, including one that is very, very popular(and I'm not just saying that because *I* happen to like him a lot, either), have really been shoved aside this season, mostly by Bloo, but it's worse to see them pushed aside by a character nobody ever heard of.

pitbulllady

One Radical Dude
11-24-2007, 05:22 PM

I didn't have a problem with the character at all. I thought he was pretty cool. You have a point that Peas did care for Frankie. I don't believe it lessens the pain that some endured watching this episode. One should look on the bright side, and I believe there is. It could've been a lot worse, and I'm not even going to say how. :P

Cassini90125
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
It could've been a lot worse, and I'm not even going to say how. :P

I can think of a few ways. Regardless, it's difficult to find a bright side to this episode.

The Huntsman
11-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I can totally understand how people feel, with how Frankie was robbed of her triumph, but aren’t we all outside of the show’s target demographic? I’m guessing that, unless a hoard of children protest and decry the episode’s ending, I don’t believe the Foster’s Crew is going to change how they handle future episodes.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I can totally understand how people feel, with how Frankie was robbed of her triumph, but aren?t we all outside of the show?s target demographic? I?m guessing that, unless a hoard of children protest and decry the episode?s ending, I don?t believe the Foster?s Crew is going to change how they handle future episodes.

There is no show in existence that doesn't attract people outside of its target audience, and naturally as adults or young adults, we apply rationale and logic to what we see and while we may over analyze things its not unheard of. People over analyze cartoons long before Foster's, look at a Teen Titans forum sometime.

I agree with what Pitbull and Radical said. No one is complaining that Peas genuinely supports Frankie, in fact that's the ONLY thing I found remotely likable about him. The problem we find it a little insulting that this annoying one shot character appears out of the blue and robs one of Frankie's few star episode moments away from her.

This was an unnecessary and unneeded change to a small moment of triumph we were happy to see Frankie accept but she was more or less "robbed" of it. Frankie's smart plan was removed through a plot device by having Peas be so micro sized and whisper into her ear, it was a cheap (but clever) means of working him into the story.

Yet that still doesn't change the fact his little ear pep talk taints the victory Frankie rightfully earned all by her cute self by having some walking talking micro machine IF take it away from her. The fact he supports her doesn't really change what he essentially did to her character as part of the show.

Normally I prefer to stay KNEE deep in the show and talk about the characters as their own actions (I do the same thing with movies) and not just say "Oh the writers made him/her do/say that". But this was just plain sneaky and most importantly, not needed nor was it necessary. It was fine just the way it was before.

Nyo
11-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks to Sparky I managed to watch this via MegaUpload and all I have to say is:

OMGNO. >_<

Peas...I really hope he's a oneshot. His voice is extremely annoying, although I admit he has funny lines ("CURSE YOU AND YOUR LONG LEGS!" and "VIVA FOSTER'S!") during the episode, but eh. Not exactly all that fond of him, but I do like how he defends Frankie during the whole Jackie/FN scene.

But taking one of Frankie's star moments away? No. What I hate about this ep is that it makes Frankie look like someone who gives up easily and doesn't both to try and find a way out of a mess, or make it work to her advantage, like she did in TBC.

Me personally? C+/B-.

pitbulllady
11-25-2007, 04:51 AM
While we're on the topic of the show's demographic target audience, it's obvious that CN DOES realize and acknowledge that Foster's has a LOT of older fans, in their teens and those who are adults, otherwise why give Hot Topic the sole rights to distribute the Foster's merchandise, like clothing and keychains, outside of CN's own website? I can't recall every having seen any 4-10 year-old children in a Hot Topic store, and a lot of the younger ones in that demographic would probably be scared of the people who work there!

It also makes me wonder if CN isn't dictating that "preachy" episodes like Peas be made in concession to the show's creators being able to include things like romantic plot-lines, etc., things which CN originally said they didn't want, because it would make the show "too much like a soap opera".

If you've watched any soaps lately, you'll know that Foster's is LIGHT YEARS ahead of them in character developement and intelligent writing.

pitbulllady

Cassini90125
11-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Medikor posted another possible interpretation of this episode which, if you haven't seen it, really deserves a look:

http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65250#post65250

ptps
11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm gonna copy paste Medikor's response here for those too lazy to click on the link XD Thanks Cass, for the heads-up.

I just gave Peas a watch and something struck me very early on in the episode. I believe Peas is actually a representation of us Frankie fans. Peas was pleading to the other friends about how ungrateful they are about everything she does for them and the house but his words, much like ours, fell on deaf ears.
Like us, Peas truly appreciated Frankie yet was unable to let her know or cheer her on when she needed it. But what really intrigued me was that he did eventually manage to help her out. I may be grasping at strings here, but I really feel that the people behind Fosters made this episode as a nod to us. Yes it was hard to see Frankie actually be hard on herself, but I honestly feel that it was us that helped her pick herself back up and help her out when she needed it most.:frankiesmile:

That is indeed an extremely valid point. Hmm. Okay, Peas is forgiven. ...Not. Not entirely, no.

Just rewatched Imposter's to refresh my memory and I take my words back. Imposter's is an episode I NEVER want brought back. Urgh.

Ridureyu
11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
That's the idea I got, too.

FamoKrishina
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Finally saw the ep...meh, it was okay. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Peas' Mickey Mouse voice was really annoying. >_O And I didn't like how he stole Frankie's triumph. The "Peas representing Frankie's fans" thing sounds plausible, and does make Peas look better, but even if the theory is true, I still think they could have conveyed it better. >>;

I did like how Peas stood up for Frankie, though. I liked the Fluffer Nutter and Jackie scene too. XD

So overall, I'll just say that it was a medicore episode. Nothing to really hate, but nothing to really love either.

Howard
11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
I will have to say the episode was marginal at best. I could take it or leave it; nothing really impressive other than the theory of the pea representing all the Frankie fans (me included). I think that would be really nice.:frankiesmile:

Ub3rD4n
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Jeez, I hope this isn't the last of Season 5, I thought they were building up to something awesome.

Okay, first of all, I'll make it clear: I didn't like The Big Cheese. Others loved it, I thought it sucked. I have since revised my opinion to: It was okay, by Fosters standards, which is pretty good. But of all the episodes to feature a "show the episode from a different perspective" (yeah, it has been done before) this one would not have been my pick. I would have preffered it be, say, Say It Isn't Sew (but that's a fanfic for another day).

So, it got off to a bad start for me, which was only compounded by using a lot of old footage which just made me scream mentally "Budgeting Shortcuts!!" Peas was a nice character but not a cool character, I'm afraid I too have to claim he was "dull". The funniest part of it was in fact, the moment I saw Peas. It cracked me up how they inserted him in there.

But the ep was unfunny (not boring, however. Somehow Peas had the strange ability to hold my attention). Like, no real jokes the entire ep. By Foster's standards, this bombs.

I for one, did NOT like the Jackie/Fluffer Nutter part. I just get uncomfortable around people doing that sort of thing, and this crossed over to my viewing experience. Especially how they had gone to the roof to be alone. I felt as if I was intruding.

If this one was for Cheese fans, it was a dissappointment. Cheese barely featured, he just stood there and walked around. I have a like for Cheese, despite his annoyingness, and this was his most dull outing so far.

Then there's what seems to be the sticking point for most people, the big ending. I also disliked it. I wasn't the travesty that people seem to be making it out to be (and I'm sure you don't mean to sound that way, but the interwebs distort), but it was annoying, and pointless, and anticlimactic.

It's not all bad news, though. I was rooting for Peas, despite not actually liking him much, and actually felt sad when he got all dejected. I thought to myself "How could he possibly get a happy ending? We know his goal is unreachable!" and I would have loved his moment in the sun if not for it blocking out Frankie's.

So, not a bad episode per se, but not good by any standards, and certainly not funny. I'm sorry, I don't like trashing Fosters, but it is how it is.:(

koosie
11-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Ok I watched the ep (Thaaaaanks Sparky!) and read the reviews. I feel like I've got to go watch it again now. With a few exceptions, it looks to me like you was all watching a different episode or at least watched it with blinkers on. Poor old Peas!

He may be whiney and annoying and it's a bit odd the way he likes Frankie but I really liked him. The way he's made makes him totally useless in the world but he trys his best and is rooting for Frankie all the way. As for him taking the credit for her turning around 'The Big Cheese' , she'd inspired him to do that, to be her only friend when all was lost thanks to the idiocy of others (she's the only one in the ep who ever notices him too). When he was totally defeated I loved that bit, nobody had heard him or even knew he was there. Wanting to do good, to help those he admired got him through. Clinging to a stupid idea....

Crackers made an appearance too.

As for the Jackie Khones, Fluffer Nutter situation, I thought that was brilliant.Jackie might be pretty cool, but Fluffer Nutter is one classy lady. You gotta treat her right. She'd be better off with the tall guy.

Yeh this episode didn't dissappoint me a bit. Not too Cheesy and pretty damn funny. Give the little guy a chance.

Mac_Attack
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
The episode wasn't bad. It wasn't good, either. Peas was a very flat character, and the high-pitched voice started to get to me after a while.

I also don't understand the significance of revealing Khones' and Fluffer Nutter's relationship. Not only was it over by the episode's half-way point, it's sort of outdated: TBC was an entire season ago, and Fluffer Nutter and Khones haven't been seen near or around each other in all of Season 5 (to the best of my knowledge, anyhow).

It definately wasn't one of the best episodes I've seen... :macwor:

Shelltoon
11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Just in case anybody wants to see the title card, and a screen of the credits gag:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2320/peascardbz4.pnghttp://img100.imageshack.us/img100/802/peasgagny7.png

Sparky
11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Thank you, Shelltoon. :terrsmile: I'm going to go ahead and use the title card on the site, I hate not having one; I hope that's okay.

Shelltoon
11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Of course it's ok! I don't mind sharing at all.

Mr. Marshmallow
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Okay, I watched this episode again on tape (or bits and pieces of it) and I have to say even with that amazingly clever possible theory behind Peas, that to me doesn't change the fact this episode really was a bad, BAD, bad piece of crap. No theory will change the fact this episode was a total snore and bore fest.

Peas was more annoying then anything I've seen before because we stuck on him and ONLY him through out the entire episode. The fact he is the only true supporter of Frankie is ironic but not neat nor fun enough to make me want to sit down and watch this episode again without wanting to change channels.

If Peas really is a symbol of Frankie fans and this was a nod to us, I pray to god that it wasn't much of a nod and that it certainly wasn't a means of perception. If we look and come across as annoying as Peas does to the Fosters crew then my god we must really bug the crap out of them.

Cassini90125
11-28-2007, 11:45 PM
If Peas really is a symbol of Frankie fans and this was a nod to us, I pray to god that it wasn't much of a nod and that it certainly wasn't a means of perception. If we look and come across as annoying as Peas does to the Fosters crew then my god we must really bug the crap out of them.

If so, it's kind of insulting for another reason; why would Frankie's fans, of all people, want to be responsible for what happened? Sure, we'd all gladly support her in any way we could without even stopping to think about it, but to be associated with a revision of history that robs her of a rare moment of triumph? Not me, thank you, and I disavow any metaphorical relationship between myself and Peas for that very reason. I don't want credit for her victories; I want to see her win on her own. :frankiesmile:

koosie
11-29-2007, 01:34 AM
All we are saying is give Peas a chance.

As for robbing Frankie of her moment of triumph, she'd reached a point that all humans reach, when the sheer unfairness of it all breaks you down. That's when you need a friend, even a little one you didn't know was there. Besides, since when has begging for money constituted triumph?

Mr. Marshmallow
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
All we are saying is give Peas a chance.

As for robbing Frankie of her moment of triumph, she'd reached a point that all humans reach, when the sheer unfairness of it all breaks you down. That's when you need a friend, even a little one you didn't know was there. Besides, since when has begging for money constituted triumph?

Were not saying Frankie can't reach a point of breakdown. Everyone does, like you said. But the problem is she DID NOT have one at the episode's premiere, they changed it around just to find room for an episode like this to happen.

This wasn't one of Frankie's breakdown moments because it was changed FROM a triumphant moment TO a breakdown moment by the addition of Peas. Normally I refer to the show and characters more authentically and realistically.

But I just felt this was too upsetting a change for Frankie's personal sake to let go not pointing out.

antgirl1
11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Fluffer Nutter is one classy lady. You gotta treat her right. She'd be better off with the tall guy.

Niiiiiice. 8D

bloonuggets
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
"All we are saying is give Peas a chance."

Alton Brown from "Good Eats" on Food Network just called. He wants his bad pun back.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_9.gif

InsaneFan
12-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry I really don't post here at this forum anymore, but I just had to say this.

I think you guys have too great an image of Frankie in your heads. She's not perfect, no girl is...And y'know, I think I recall reading somewhere that you fanboys find her perfect through everything, even imperfections.

To me, this episode gave her a whole 'nother dimension. Made her seem a lot more real. I didn't like seeing her so down on herself either, but I could relate to her. Not saying I couldn't before, but it just...Yeah.

You can blame it on the writer, but I for one choose to accept it as canon.

As for Peas, well...I actually liked the little guy. His voice was kind of annoying, but I liked him.

And the Jackie-Fluffer moment...Well, it was a bit odd at first, but that "forget about it, let's just go outside" bit was pretty funny. Cx

Now, I didn't totally love the episode...It was kind of annoying that they reused so much of tBC. It gave me the impression that they were in a hurry to throw together another episode, so they just went back and grabbed the scenes as filler. The idea of tLP was pretty cool, seeing an old episode from a different perspective, but I was hoping that they weren't going to use so many old scenes.

Overall, yeah. I liked the episode. There were just some things that could stand to be changed.

Cassini90125
12-08-2007, 01:27 PM
You can blame it on the writer, but I for one choose to accept it as canon.

Canon or not it's still revisionist history. Frankie doesn't get a lot of triumphs in the show, and stealing one away from her, which is exactly what this episode did, was an unecessary slap in the face. :frankiemad:

koosie
12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Canon or not it's still revisionist history. Frankie doesn't get a lot of triumphs in the show, and stealing one away from her, which is exactly what this episode did, was an unecessary slap in the face. :frankiemad:

I don't know about 'revisionist' history as the episodes themeslves are a sort of akshantic record of what transpired at Fosters. It's not so much revising history so much as clarifying it as now you know more about what happened than you did previously. You merely assumed without all the full facts that Frankie came up with the idea of using this disaster to beg for money.

As for Frankie having few triumphs, I think being elected President by a huge margin by the whole house is more of a triumph than begging for cash after a desparate set of events. Little Peas did something nice for Frankie and you're being mean not to aknowledge that. Besides he has that darling little thimble hat. How big is he, anyhow? He does seem to change a lot, become almost microscopic at one point. I like Peas. Even if I stand alone!

Cassini90125
12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know about 'revisionist' history as the episodes themeslves are a sort of akshantic record of what transpired at Fosters. It's not so much revising history so much as clarifying it as now you know more about what happened than you did previously. You merely assumed without all the full facts that Frankie came up with the idea of using this disaster to beg for money.

It's a revision in that Peas wasn't even thought of by the writers until long after The Big Cheese had aired. By the same argument, we can't ever know if it was really Mac's plan to battle the extremeasaurus way back in the pilot episode; how do we know Peas wasn't there, whispering the plan in his ear? Or perhaps Wilt would never had made that fateful call to Foul Larry without Peas's encouragement. Did we see Peas in House Of Bloo's or Good Wilt Hunting? No. Nor did we see him in The Big Cheese. But apparently just because we didn't see him doesn't mean he wasn't there, right? No, The Little Peas is a revision, a rewrite, as surely as some of the later Star Trek series occasionally rewrote what had been canon in the original classic. But now, having aired, it's canon, and Frankie and her fans are a little poorer for it.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-08-2007, 03:33 PM

There was nothing to assume because that WAS how it happened, Frankie DID do it by herself and this episode changed it. There is nothing to clarify because nothing needed clarification unless there was something different going on, and there wasn't, because this idea came up AFTER "Big Cheese" was aired.

This wasn't like a director's cut version of the episode where you see all these little things they forgot to put in. This was a total rearrangement of an episode, changing things that were as was to something different. Nothing was cleared up, the only thing that is clear is that the episode was made to LOOK like something was cleared up.

I usually keep the subject of reality and the writers influence in a show separate, it helps become more involved with the show and become more "a part of it". However, I can't ignore that reality difference when it is used in such a blatantly and unnecessary way that robbed Frankie of one of her few spotlight moments.

Its a rare moment when I honestly say "the writers did that, NOT the character" and trust me when I tell you I HATE doing that. But like i said, this is just too obvious and too crappy an alteration to not let that reality kick me in the ass just like how this episode gave Frankie's ass a good kicking.

Cassini90125
12-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Its a rare moment when I honestly say "the writers did that, NOT the character" and trust me when I tell you I HATE doing that. But like i said, this is just too obvious and too crappy an alteration to not let that reality kick me in the ass just like how this episode gave Frankie's ass a good kicking.

Agreed 100%. I have never blamed the writers for what happened in Imposter's and I never will. This is different, though; it feels different in a way that I can't fully describe, and I don't like it. I would far rather keep the writers and the story events separate in my mind but in this one case I can't.

koosie
12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
It's a revision in that Peas wasn't even thought of by the writers until long after The Big Cheese had aired.

Prove it.

The writers themselves might not have known Peas was there, he is very small. Maybe he was in all those other situations but on the available information, we'd have to conclude not.
You've got to trust that the creators of this show like Frankie too or else you might as well stop watching it because it'll just keep upsetting you. Ugh I'm getting tied in logical knots now but in the end me and Frankie both like Peas. Sorry you're not along for the ride.

Cassini90125
12-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Prove it.

The writers themselves might not have known Peas was there, he is very small. Maybe he was in all those other situations but on the available information, we'd have to conclude not.

Oh, give me a break. Peas, and every other aspect of the show, isn't something that the writers discover; it's something that they create. If he wasn't there before, it's because he didn't exist, not because the writers overlooked him. ::)

Mr. Marshmallow
12-08-2007, 04:14 PM
I have to agree with Cass, this sort of "future planning" stuff is not really reserved for such things like this show. Only shows like Buffy the vampire slayer, or Heroes would incorporate such long advance story preparations because they have complex and intricate story lines that require thinking and preparing ahead of time.

Nothing about Peas or this episode is anything that would require additional thinking or planning over, its a one shot concept with a one shot character. None of the other one shot IF characters had this much time devoted to them, that's because they were not the SOUL point of the episode, like Peas was here.

There was nothing in this episode or about Peas himself that would make me think or say the creators planned this out from the very moment they started writing "The Big Cheese". All this Peas thing was a "open door" for the creators to slide a new episode, in fact, this is as close to a "cheap" episode as you can get.

Nothing happened here that would make ANYONE want to think about it well in advance. This felt like a last minute idea to scrap up an episode without doing anything too complicated, so they stick us with an episode which we already saw with a character we never saw before and take away something we already knew before and wiped their asses with it.

BabyCharmander
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
While I am just a touch disappointed that Peas was the one who told Frankie how to turn the situation in her favor (albeit in a rather desperate way), it is canon now and there ain't a lot we can do about it.

And I don't see it being such a big deal that she was robbed of one of her few spotlight moments, since every Foster's character... really doesn't have many spotlight moments, anyway. I mean, how many times do we see Bloo get foiled? Things usually turn out pretty bad for Wilt, too. (I mean, how many times has he gotten in jail?) There are more, of course. I'm sure Frankie's still about even with all the other characters in the times she actually HAS succeeded, even with this loss, here.

antgirl1
12-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I mean, how many times has he [Wilt] gotten in jail?

----ANSWER STARTS HERE----
4 times, not counting the voluntary I'll-Go-To-Jail-Cause-I-Stood-On-Rugs-And-Stood-Within-100FT-Of-A-Lamp time. It won't count, since he did it to himself, as an act of self-punishment.

1 time where he actually MIGHT'VE deserved it, and that's a pretty big MIGHT. He didn't know those people were robbing some person's home. He possibly thought of them as moving truck people. (I did too until the cops showed up) (GWH)

2 times where he was actually innocent and didn't deserve it (and believe it or not, these two were in the same episode). He didn't even deserve the second time, either, because he's not at fault for the first time, so escaping from jail (while innocent) couldn't BE a crime. (Where There's a Wilt There's a Way)

And the last one...What the HELL did he do? (Cheese a Go-Go)

Gee, who would've thought that Bloo was right about the "Life of Crime" thing. For a nice guy, Wilt sure knows how to get into jail, even if he didn't actually do anything wrong.
----ANSWER ENDS HERE----

Sorry, couldn't help but answer it.

Be lucky Frankie's never been to jail, or at least as much as Wilt. Don't kill me.

bloonuggets
12-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, antgirl1, you're right.

However, Wilt was Madame Foster's lawyer IIRC in "Cheese A Go-Go" and was being jailed for contempt of court in the sandwich case of Jackie Khones vs. Madame Foster.

BabyCharmander
12-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks Antgirl. %D

However, Wilt was Madame Foster's lawyer IIRC in "Cheese A Go-Go" and was being jailed for contempt of court in the sandwich case of Jackie Khones vs. Madame Foster.

Was THAT it!? Thanks, that has been bugging me for FOREVER because I couldn't figure it out. x__x

InsaneFan
12-09-2007, 10:33 AM
While I am just a touch disappointed that Peas was the one who told Frankie how to turn the situation in her favor (albeit in a rather desperate way), it is canon now and there ain't a lot we can do about it.

And I don't see it being such a big deal that she was robbed of one of her few spotlight moments, since every Foster's character... really doesn't have many spotlight moments, anyway. I mean, how many times do we see Bloo get foiled? Things usually turn out pretty bad for Wilt, too. (I mean, how many times has he gotten in jail?) There are more, of course. I'm sure Frankie's still about even with all the other characters in the times she actually HAS succeeded, even with this loss, here.

This is how I felt about the whole thing. I know how they feel, I like to see Frankie win sometimes too, have a triumphant moment, and it kinda sucked to see one taken away from her.
But really, the episode happened, and there's not much you can do to change it. So, I got over it. I think I'm a bit healthier for it, too. I don't need any extra anger or stress in my life, and as awesome as this show is, it really shouldn't make that huge an impact in my life.

I know it's hard to help it sometimes, but just let it go.

AerostarMonk
12-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Well it is possible for such an episode to be ejected from canon. If you adopt the concept of fanon where you only take into account episodes that you feel fit with the rest of the series as a whole. Also there have been times when fanon has been accepted as true canon. One major example is Batman the Animated Series. An episode that was reviled by many a fan was rejected from canon by the producers themselves.

However I don't think that it's warranted for this particular episode, I was just saying.

Cassini90125
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
As much as I dislike the episode I don't favor the idea of ejecting it from canon; that just opens the door for anyone who didn't like a given episode to say it doesn't count.

AerostarMonk
12-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Like I said, it takes a whole heap of people for that sorta thing to happen. It's a rare occurrence. Also if you adopt the idea of fanon, it's out of your own personal canon. An idea that is used quite a bit among fans in every genre. Doesn't mean it doesn't count for real, but for you the events are nonexistent.

Cassini90125
12-10-2007, 06:35 AM
In that case I am declaring that Gooftard, Peas, and every Cheese episode after Mac Daddy no longer exists. Oh, and Dylan Lee got run over by a garbage truck. :bendy: 8D

Shelltoon
12-10-2007, 02:22 PM
After watching this episode again, I'm actually developing a new found appreciation for Imposter's, at least that episode had its moments.

Ridureyu
12-10-2007, 02:59 PM
In that case I am declaring that Gooftard, Peas, and every Cheese episode after Mac Daddy no longer exists. Oh, and Dylan Lee got run over by a garbage truck. :bendy: 8D

They've Started Fanon?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Sorry, Harry Potter war scars.

Ditchy McAbandonpants
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hmmm... I gotta tell you, the whole "fanon" concept has always left me feeling a little uneasy. :macwor: Naturally, I have no problem with fans isolating, separating and reinterpreting individual parts of a show to suit their personal tastes; that's all part and parcel of how to enjoy a creative work. What I've always been wary of is this perception (so rife amongst the hardcore fanfic-writing/"shipping" community) that the fans' interpretations and ideas are as important/more important than that of the creators themselves, and that it's up to them to influence the creators to produce work that better fits these interpretations. Not only does this suggest to me that said fans have lost track of what they were fans of in the first place, it's a dangerous form of power without responsibility, and it always saddens me when a creator does bow to this kind of pressure, because they always emerge with creative coherence and integrity diminished; the films Spider-Man 3, Star Wars Episode II and the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are three examples of projects that I feel ended up compromised by their attempts to "give fans what they want", rather than sticking to their own creative guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding up "The Little Peas" as a bastion of artistic purity that must protected and cherished; more that I think it best that those who were dissatisfied with the episode deal with it in their own way, rather than starting a pressure movement to have it scrubbed from existence. Because that way lies madness. :weirded:

As for the episode itself: I must say, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm something of a freak, because not only am I a Cheese-sceptic who thinks "The Big Cheese" was by far the best Cheese episode, but I'm also a Frankie fan who rather liked "The Little Peas". :bloocross: What can I say? I thought it was an original, fresh concept that was executed creditably. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that visually and design-wise, it was one of the most interesting episodes to date; reinterpreting everything in the house from the perspective of one so small completely changes its feel, and the episode had fun imaginatively transforming bits of scenery as familiar and innocuous as doorframes, elevators and carpets into terrifying chasms and lethal, intimidating deathtraps. As for Peas himself, I have to confess that I thought he worked. The central joke about the character - that he's a chipper, Mickey Mouse-esque do-gooder who imagines that he's inspiring those around him with his can-do attitude, but is in fact completely ignored - was sly enough to counterbalance his potential saccharinity, but without undermining him so much that his against-the-odds quest doesn't become actually a little inspiring.

My main problem with the episode, like most people, is that ending. Unlike a lot of others, I had no big problem with Peas's initial pep talk; it seemed out of character for Frankie to just give up like she did, but it was presented in an understandable way, and I read it as being sort of sweet that Peas should give this inspirational speech to the person who has clearly inspired him to do the things he did, and as quite an endorsement of Frankie as a person. The retcon of Peas whispering her entire TV address into her ear, on the other hand, just overplays that massively, changing Peas from plucky little helper to ridiculous deus ex machina and needlessly undermining Frankie's established character qualities of resourcefulness and intelligence, making her seem like a passive and hapless beneficiary of fortuitous circumstances. :madbloo: A major misstep, for sure, and one that leaves a slightly unpleasant taste in the mouth, but in a season that I felt cruised a little too much at times, the creative effort that clearly went into "Little Peas" still prevents me from judging it too harshly...

antgirl1
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM

And was crippled for life. :D

Cassini90125
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM

And was crippled for life. :D

And smelled like garbage. 8D

Hmmm... I gotta tell you, the whole "fanon" concept has always left me feeling a little uneasy. :macwor: Naturally, I have no problem with fans isolating, separating and reinterpreting individual parts of a show to suit their personal tastes; that's all part and parcel of how to enjoy a creative work. What I've always been wary of is this perception (so rife amongst the hardcore fanfic-writing/"shipping" community) that the fans' interpretations and ideas are as important/more important than that of the creators themselves, and that it's up to them to influence the creators to produce work that better fits these interpretations. Not only does this suggest to me that said fans have lost track of what they were fans of in the first place, it's a dangerous form of power without responsibility, and it always saddens me when a creator does bow to this kind of pressure, because they always emerge with creative coherence and integrity diminished; the films Spider-Man 3, Star Wars Episode II and the game The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess are three examples of projects that I feel ended up compromised by their attempts to "give fans what they want", rather than sticking to their own creative guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding up "The Little Peas" as a bastion of artistic purity that must protected and cherished; more that I think it best that those who were dissatisfied with the episode deal with it in their own way, rather than starting a pressure movement to have it scrubbed from existence. Because that way lies madness. :weirded:

You have no idea how strongly I agree with this. :frankiemad: In any case, as far as I'm concerned The Little Peas is canon now, by virtue of the fact that it aired. I wish it hadn't, but I will have to live with it.

AerostarMonk
12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
By no means was it my intention for fanon to be used unwisely. My perception of fanon has always been you keep it to yourself, unless there's truly a reason for it to be used. Many things that have fell victim of fanon were used to rashly. The Underdwellers wasn't so terrible of an episode that justified an ejection from canon.

Also fanon has been used to rectify some mistakes that the creators have missed. Once more I point to the DCAU, where in an episode of Superman, Wonder Woman was mentioned, an impossibility for she wouldn't be seen in man's world for almost 5 years after the mention. Or the existence of two Green Lanterns in the same sector. Now I'm getting way off topic. But what I'm saying is fanon is not all bad. You just have to use it wisely.

I still think that Peas was a highly annoying character and he wasn't too funny. I did like the different perspectives and the frame by frame identical scenes that showed improvement in the animation, but the central character was nigh unwatchable. The ret-con of an ending was a total copout. But one could actually figure that he just supplied the words, Frankie had to sell it which is something else entirely. What's a speech without a speaker?

InsaneFan
12-11-2007, 07:16 AM
As for the episode itself: I must say, I'm beginning to suspect that I'm something of a freak, because not only am I a Cheese-sceptic who thinks "The Big Cheese" was by far the best Cheese episode, but I'm also a Frankie fan who rather liked "The Little Peas". :bloocross: What can I say? I thought it was an original, fresh concept that was executed creditably. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that visually and design-wise, it was one of the most interesting episodes to date; reinterpreting everything in the house from the perspective of one so small completely changes its feel, and the episode had fun imaginatively transforming bits of scenery as familiar and innocuous as doorframes, elevators and carpets into terrifying chasms and lethal, intimidating deathtraps. As for Peas himself, I have to confess that I thought he worked. The central joke about the character - that he's a chipper, Mickey Mouse-esque do-gooder who imagines that he's inspiring those around him with his can-do attitude, but is in fact completely ignored - was sly enough to counterbalance his potential saccharinity, but without undermining him so much that his against-the-odds quest doesn't become actually a little inspiring.

My main problem with the episode, like most people, is that ending. Unlike a lot of others, I had no big problem with Peas's initial pep talk; it seemed out of character for Frankie to just give up like she did, but it was presented in an understandable way, and I read it as being sort of sweet that Peas should give this inspirational speech to the person who has clearly inspired him to do the things he did, and as quite an endorsement of Frankie as a person. The retcon of Peas whispering her entire TV address into her ear, on the other hand, just overplays that massively, changing Peas from plucky little helper to ridiculous deus ex machina and needlessly undermining Frankie's established character qualities of resourcefulness and intelligence, making her seem like a passive and hapless beneficiary of fortuitous circumstances. :madbloo: A major misstep, for sure, and one that leaves a slightly unpleasant taste in the mouth, but in a season that I felt cruised a little too much at times, the creative effort that clearly went into "Little Peas" still prevents me from judging it too harshly...

Yes. I agree...Though, I liked the Big Cheese, but I don't count it as my favorite episode. If you're a freak, you're not alone. C=

bloonuggets
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I guess there ain't no good times, there ain't no bad times.

It's just you and me and we just disagree.

I kind of liken this to what they call on wrestling boards as "an alternate perspective". The same program, but from a different angle (pun intended).

CG
01-14-2008, 01:34 AM
This made me sad.

I don't know, first episode I watch since looking back into this series and... um. Wow. Mmhmm. It certain'y didn't catch me, if anything I felt kind of embarassed to watch this one. That's never happened before..!

Stupid Peas... I suddenly feel like mashing some peas into some pea mush..

pitbulllady
01-14-2008, 02:18 AM
This made me sad.

I don't know, first episode I watch since looking back into this series and... um. Wow. Mmhmm. It certain'y didn't catch me, if anything I felt kind of embarassed to watch this one. That's never happened before..!

Stupid Peas... I suddenly feel like mashing some peas into some pea mush..

Yeah, it IS sad, especially if that WAS the last ep of the season, to end on that note.
For some reason, when I think of Peas, I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in a certain old Linda Blair movie, :bendy:

pitbulllady

fosters home fan
01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, it IS sad, especially if that WAS the last ep of the season, to end on that note.
For some reason, when I think of Peas, I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in a certain old Linda Blair movie, :bendy:

pitbulllady

You mean "The Exorcist"?! HAHAHAHA! The "Pea Soup" scene. :blooxd:

Yeah, This episode was Fair. Not my favorite, though.

:jk:

Dragonrider1227
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I JUST saw this episode. I like it. I always find episodes redone from someone else's point of view amusing, it was a good Frankie episode, and what's everyone got against Peas? He's ADORABLE!! I'd want to adopt him if I wasn't so sure our cats would eat him 8D

Frankie_4_Prez
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Well... if you consider Frankie being all down in the dumpity a "good" thing, don't miss that other classic, Imposter's home for um... make 'em up pals

pitbulllady
05-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Well... if you consider Frankie being all down in the dumpity a "good" thing, don't miss that other classic, Imposter's home for um... make 'em up pals

Seriously! I may not be a Frankie fan on the same level as you guys are, but it bothered me a LOT to see her reduced to such a state, and made to look so incompetent, so dependent on a tiny little talking legume for advice, as if she could not think of anything on her own. It was just as troubling to see that claim that Peas was the only resident of the house who ever thought about her or helped her out, and that if it weren't for him, Frankie could never accomplish anything.

pitbulllady

Dragonrider1227
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Am I the only one that thought Peas giving Frankie an idea didn't take away from her moment? :jk:

KazooBloo
12-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Still gotta watch this one. I remember Peas from the dare episode when Bloo dares him to knock something off of his shoulder. But now there's an entire episode of him.