PDA

View Full Version : Teen Titans

One Radical Dude
08-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Is there anyone else, other than myself, that watched this show? Before watching Foster's, Teen Titans was one of my favorites. Some folks criticize the show for having an anime-esque look. I enjoyed this series quite a bit, and for a show that has a lot of light-hearted episodes, there many of them that are quite dark and can be tough to watch. The music is quite good, as well as the acting. This was one of the few DC shows that I actually was interested in.

Mr. Marshmallow
08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Absolutely!

I'm a DIE HARD Titans fan and I totally loved that show, in fact, losing Teen Titans was what brought me to Foster's in the first place. Titans was the only show I REALLY enjoyed on CN, I was so into the show I couldn't stop recording the episodes and stuff.

I actually liked the "anime" look to it and I think the show did a great job of interacting adults with kids/teens into the DC universe. Even though they needed to drop the stupid "destroy me" crap and just say kill/die for once. Titans also has some of the best villains I've seen in a long time.

Guys like Control Freak, Killer Moth, Slade, ahhhh the good old days :).

DoubleLatte
09-01-2006, 12:42 AM
It's been a while since I stopped watching, but I loved the series. Blackfire is still my absolute favorite character, but I was a little disappointed when she was brought back in the episode where she takes over Tamaran. They made her look like a rookie.

Even though they needed to drop the stupid "destroy me" crap and just say kill/die for once.

Yep. There's already enough violence in the cartoon. Do they really think "destroy" softens it?

Imaginary Light
09-01-2006, 12:12 PM
I love this show. It's really too bad about it being canceled.

Bloo2daMacs
09-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I like this show... a lot.

I made a drawing of the Foster's cast as Teen Titans, but I need a scanner or a WORKING web cam to show it here.

InsaneFan
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Ya know, I've actually avoided Teen Titans up until about a week or so ago, simply because I don't like anime.
But I've been watching it lately, because I've decided not to hate it before I've even given it a shot. Against my first judgement of the show, I've become interested in it.
I've only watched maybe 5-6 episodes, though.

Cassini90125
09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
It's not a bad show, really. It's not something that I seek out, but I don't automatically change the channel while it's on, either.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
It's not a bad show, really. It's not something that I seek out, but I don't automatically change the channel while it's on, either.

It's funny you say that because I felt the exact SAME way about Foster's when I first started watching it.

GrimTheLost
09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
I usually hate anything DC, but this one was okay. I loved Raven and Beast .Boy

Chaos Wielder
09-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I like this show a lot. It's a shame that the latest season was canceled, though. Sure, it has an anime-esque look to it, but I was able to look past that and see it for what it really is, which is a good show that usually has an in-depth plot, good humor and light-hearted moments and characters that have a good amount of depth to them. ;) When I first started watching it Cyborg was my favorite but now Beast Boy has become my favorite character because of his slightly goofy nature. :)

By the way, has anyone heard anything about the TT TV movie that's supposed to air soon? (Isn't it during next weeks showing of Fridays?)

One Radical Dude
09-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes, the TV movie is coming up Friday. I haven't seen it, even though they premiered it at Comic-Con.

Chaos Wielder
09-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Oh, ok. ;) That's what I thought but I couldn't remember for sure. I guess they're making that to tie everything up to end the series. :( It's a shame that it has to go out that way, though. I wonder what (possibly) bad cartoon will end up "replacing" this show now? :(

But either way, can't wait until it comes on. Hopefully it will be a good one. ;)

Mr. Marshmallow
09-09-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm a little worried about it. I hope they plan on releasing the DVD of the movie soon, because there releasing it on TV first it may cause some shift in the dates. The same thing kind of happened when they released "Brainiac Attacks".

The new villain looks kinda interesting even though I know Tokyo is going to have alot of interesting opportunities for the Titans. But like I said before, something is still bugging me about it: it's Cyborg's voice actor.

The commercials advertising Trouble in Tokyo have Cyborg speaking, and judging from the way the commercial sounds, it sounds like a new guy. It doesn't sound like Khary Paton at all which pisses me off because this could be a big problem.

New voice actors can really screw things up if you don't have enough time to get used to them.

Chaos Wielder
09-09-2006, 02:02 PM
The commercials advertising Trouble in Tokyo have Cyborg speaking, and judging from the way the commercial sounds, it sounds like a new guy. It doesn't sound like Khary Paton at all which pisses me off because this could be a big problem.

New voice actors can really screw things up if you don't have enough time to get used to them.

Oh, really? I didn't even notice! I think I had the sound on my TV turned down when I saw CN advertising it, though, so that might be why. You're right, though, sometimes new VAs can screw everything up and throw people off.

One Radical Dude
09-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Actually, I doubt what you heard was really Cyborg's voice (which definitely wasn't Khary Payton's). It's probably to throw people off, or to make the ad funny. I heard that Cyborg's voice is fine at the Comic-Con premiere.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I pray to god it isn't, because if it is then it's going to be a big letdown because I have high expectations off this movie. The tokyo idea is a genius one and the clips they are showing look REALLY REALLY interesting.

Plus I heard that the whole "question" of whether Starfire and Robin's relationship is anything serious will finally going to be answered in this movie, and being a big Star/Robin fan, I hope it's going where I think it's going :).

The other reason this movie has to be good is that this will more or less be the last time we see the Titans in anything new. All DC toons are gone with the exception of The Batman and the new upcoming Legion of Superheroes show.

Shows usally "end" with movies, Batman:AS was the only show to get like 3 movies and I've heard crappy things from Superman's movie "Brainiac Attacks". However, The Batman's movie "Batman vs. Dracula" was AMAZING!

If they can make a DC toon movie that good, I'm hoping the same can go for Titans: Trouble in Tokyo.

Medikor
09-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow. I sence alot of hostillity to anime hear. I'm not a fan of the show myself. And the wannabe anime look is a let down, but the show was good. My main gripe with cartoon's these day's is how thaey all try to jump on the anime bandwagon to get noticed. I hate anything made by Marathon (Martin Mystery, Totaly Spie's ect) because they have no soul, if you know what I mean. Avatar is differant. I love that show. It's not a shallow wannabe, and has alot of heart to it. Remember: There is a big differance between imitation and inspiration.
I love a good anime. My #1 anime right now is Naruto. Full Metal Alchenist and Inuyasha are the other two I watch religously. And Bleach was an absolute surprise!:D But I really dislike how western animation is trying to mimic anime. We're loseing our culture in a way. I love Foster's because it show's how great our cartoons can be, and anime free to boot!:D

Mr. Marshmallow
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't believe were losing our culture because cartoons are still being made using non anime styles, it's just a matter of companies preferences and styles. Plus don't forget, other countries import our stuff and styles and etc to their programming to.

We import more stuff from other countries in terms of programming (movies, TV shows etc) then probably anyone else, so it's no surprise that someone would mimic a style if it became hot. Personally, I love anime and I don't see anything really wrong with using an anime style in terms of appearance.

Depth is another issue. Totally Spies and Martin Mystery are shallow shows, but I find them good to watch if there's nothing else on. But like I said, a show is as good as it's depth, not it's appearance. If the show has good story, humor, characters, the animation style won't bother me in the least bit.

Medikor
09-19-2006, 02:54 PM
You're absolutly right! Sorry if sounded kinda harsh, I didan't inrend too. But I think that things will have gone a little too far if Disney try's to make it's own anime, and not just import them. ;)

Mr. Marshmallow
09-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Nah not at all. But come to think of it, I thought Disney kinda did when they made that "Super robot hyper monkey force" show.

Jetix their programming block of shows similar to that program actually contains some animes like Digimon and Mon Colle Knights.

But honestly, I don't think every toon we make will end up being animeized. Squirrel boy came after all these anime shows and there pretty original.

Even though i kinda hate that show ::).

Back to Titans, one of the things i LOVE about this show is their wacky ass villains. Guys as ridiculous as Control Freak, Killer Moth, Dr. Light, Mumbo Jumbo, they're just too fun not to like.

Not to mention Slade is a PERFECT reason to love the show initself.

InsaneFan
09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Since I last posted on this thread, I've kinda...Fallen in love with it.

THERE, I said it.

I'm not even going to hide the fact that I went and bought the first two DVDs. So ha.

Mr. Marshmallow
09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with liking it or loving it Insane Fan.

I myself am gonna buy the freaking Trouble in Tokyo movie on DVD even though I taped it off the TV.

It's a good show and there's NOTHING to be ashamed of for liking it.

InsaneFan
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I know, it's just that I come from a place where you're a freak if you watch anime.

But it's all cool now, because I'm such a trendsetter for my sisters and friends. They all like it now.

Plus, I bought the third DVD and the video game. The game ROCKED HARD. Me and my friend started it at 7:30 PM and played it nonstop until we beat it at 5:00 AM. Then we started it again on medium and played for another two hours. We were planning to stay up all night(and we had da 'Dew ready), but then I remembered I had a Martial Arts class that day, and I didn't wanna be dead for it.
Haha, I made her play as Mad Mod after we unlocked him as a player for the battle arenas, just so I could beat his virtual booty into next year. I HATE. HIM.

I've made some TT fanarts, if anyone wants to see them...

Mr. Marshmallow
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Teen Titans was probably the most succesful "anime" styled cartoon made. I actually know alot of people that accept it then most cartoon shows, and while I'm a firm believer in loving what you love, I still am nervous talking bout it.

Some shows like Teen Titans no one cares because they can see what people like in it. Anime has almost become unviersally accpeted since CN owns like over a dozen of em, but there are still alot of shows I feel cautious admitting I like.

My brother thinks I'm weird for going to see kids films like The Ant Bully, Over the Hedge (which I LOVED) and watching Foster's. He doesn't know I like W.I.T.C.H and I know that if anyone ever found out, I'd never hear the end of it.

I'm actually dressing up as a Teen Titans villain for Comic-Con 2007, I figure since he is from the comics it would be okay anyway. It's Killer Moth my favorite Titans villain. The real Killer Moth in the comics isn't half as cool as the show's version.

InsaneFan
10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Plus, he's got a psyco daughter. 8D

xxxClaire
04-29-2007, 02:15 PM
I love Teen Titans! It was my favourite TV show before Fosters! I bought all the DVDs and I watch them all the time! (Yeah, I kind of have an obsession. XD)

frankie_fan
04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Another of my favourite animated shows!! Raven will always be my favourite titan!! :frankiesmile:

Jetbaby
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Really didn't expect to like this series as much as I did, but Glenn Murakami and crew did a great job reinterpreting this DCU with plenty of humor, anime homage and superheroic drama. So disappointed they didn't continue the series a la Justice League Unlimited.

Mr. Marshmallow
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I at first disliked this show and wrote it off as a stupid cheap kiddie knock off the Justice League type shows. But after watching it, I totally loved this show and despite some clunky dialouge in the early seasons, the show really kicked ass and I loved every minute of it.

Starfire is my favorite character, I think she's cute as can be and HOT to boot. I long support her love for Robin and i was really satisfied with their Tokyo movie airing last year. I loved those random little "super deformed" segements they randomly pop up with.

I loved their villains on the show, Ron Pearlmen was amazing as Slade and I loved their use of "comical villains", like bad guys no one would touch with a 50 foot pole. Like Killer Moth, Control Freak, and the weird ass army of Bobs and the Newfu tofu alien thing.

AerostarMonk
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I was surprised anyone would touch Ding Dong Daddy of all villains. I mean really? Ding Dong Daddy? Even in his day he was unspeakably lame. But they put him to good use and made a fun Wacky Races episode.

Pawbah
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
I Love Teen Titans. I nearly cried when it was cancelled and I rejoiced when the movie came out. Everything seemed so upsetting after Teen Titans was cancelled. I made a TT music video to cheer myself up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2a5jQNoSw

Anyway, I heard rumor of another TT movie possibly being thought about. But I don't really know. I would love another Teen Titans movie. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :D

AerostarMonk
05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
There is a Teen Titans movie in the making. Though I'm sorry to disappoint you it won't be set in the same continuity

The Judas Contract is the story of how Tara Markov infiltrates the Titans at the behest of Deathstroke the Terminator aka Slade Wilson. Sound familiar? Yep, it has been done before. But they want to do it by the book this time. Shame really, the current animated version is excellent.

frankie_fan
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
So much for explaining it for you. Thanks, AerostarMonk.

Pawbah
05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for clearing that up AerostarMonk. :D

Mr. Marshmallow
05-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I was surprised anyone would touch Ding Dong Daddy of all villains. I mean really? Ding Dong Daddy? Even in his day he was unspeakably lame. But they put him to good use and made a fun Wacky Races episode.

I actually was sorrowfully disappointed with that episode for 2 reasons. 1- The fact they didn't bother showing us what was in Robin's suitcase was a MAJOR let down. I'm sorry but it seemed a waste to derive an episode around that suitcase's innards.

And 2- The villain wacky racers were apparently mute since they didn't bother to get ANY of the voice actors back to play them. I can kind of understand why they did it here but not to bring ANY of them back for the big villain team up in "Calling all Titans" and "Titans Together"? it looked really bad.

Like all the bad guys lost their voices or something. That's one thing that bothered me with Teen Titans. The show went cheap ass on voice actors and ended up Hayden Welch and Tara Strong for characters they didn't even play sometimes and I don't see how hard it could be to get a few of the actors.

Especially considering this was the "last hurrah" for the Titans, I expected them to put some kind of effort into making a good finale by getting some voice actors other then being cheap and reusing the old ones. I mean come on, Jinx and Gizmo's ORIGINAL VA Lauren Tom gets bumped off for Strong?

I like Tara Strong and all but Lauren Tom started voicing those two and to be so cheap as to not even get Tom back (who is no stranger to voice acting considering her Futurama role of Amy Wong), it just made me mad. Sorry if I got into a rant there.

EDIT

Almost forgot, I too loved the Titans toon incarnation of the Judas storyline except for one problem. Terra had a certain line that for me, almost killed the whole "mood" of this serious storyline. She told Beast Boy to "destroy me" instead of "kill me". Sorry but politically correct or not....that just sounds stupid.