PDA

View Full Version : Great Mouse Detective

lucyrocks73
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Alright, who has seen this movie?

The first use of CGI in an animated cartoon, yet it's very unappreciated for a Disney movie.

I first saw it at age seven. My mother always bought me a "Back-to-school" present, and the newly re-released VHS tape just happened to be that present. Basil was my (*remembers Wilt's line in pilot about unoriginal friends*) imaginary friend and lived in my pocket for the first two weeks of second grade (*snorts*- that's what.

So a few weeks ago I stumbled upon the GMD section on ff.net. I search on Google for fansites so I can check out the fandom... All fandoms are different, I've found through the years. You've got your welcoming ones (such as Foster's), your by the canon, by the book ones, your insanely unorganized ones, your "we were the original fans and no one else is allowed to say they like the [insert fandom here]", your abandoned over time ones... and many others, including mixtures of them all.

GMD is interesting, because some of it is by canon and fanon, and some of it is completely abandoned- but only within the last few months.

The original VHS tape I had when I was little probably was rather worn out, but I lost track of it around the time my grandparents moved when I was eleven (it always stayed at their house for some reason). So today was Father's Day, and after everyone went to their specific corners (umm... my likes to argue), I went through boxes and boxes attempting to find it. Sure enough, I come upstairs to watch TV with my little brother, and without me saying anything, he tells me how much he wished he knew where that "movie with the mouse detective and the rat who thought he was a mouse" got to.

I laughed.

And looked for it when I got home, to find that the tape was STILL MIA.

Ugh.

Did I mention that we no longer have a VHS player? I think I need to invest in the DVD, which I saw in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart last week.

And I have no clue WHY I'm freaking out over a movie I haven't seen in years.

Great movie, if I remember correctly- the title character always fascinated me with all of his faults and characteristics, and frankly the fact that he doesn't have much of a back story (at least not in the movie; I never read the Eve Titus books) makes him an extremely fun character to write.

-Marty :goo:

montitech
06-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I just saw this a few months ago, I was very good. I was surprised that this movie was not more popular because it was that good.

Monty:-/

Ccook50
06-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Saw it when it first came out (in 1986, as I recall), and it was quite disarming and charming little picture. Vincent Price's character, Rattigan, chews up scenery like moths to a sweater, and little Olivia Flaversham was truly adorable.

I think Disney was still trying to find its step after the comparative disappointment of The Black Cauldron, and really couldn't come up with a tangible star for audiences to identify with until the 1990s "Disney Princess" era came into being with the Little Mermaid, Belle, Jasmine, et al. Too bad, because The Great Mouse Detective was an entertaining little film.

lucyrocks73
06-18-2007, 03:43 AM
I think Disney was still trying to find its step after the comparative disappointment of The Black Cauldron, and really couldn't come up with a tangible star for audiences to identify with until the 1990s "Disney Princess" era came into being with the Little Mermaid, Belle, Jasmine, et al. Too bad, because The Great Mouse Detective was an entertaining little film.

It IS sad. I don't mind the Black Cauldron much either, but GMD is great. The really awkward thing is, it apparently did fantastic in theaters... But there's no merchandising, no nothing.

Disney princesses... how I used to love them...

Partymember
06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
i liked the Black Cauldron...:(

GMD i haven't seen in yeeeeeeeeeears. Good movie iirc.

Medikor
06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
GMD is one of my dads favorite movies. I haven't seen it in ages, though. Didn't it have a basset hound in it?

lucyrocks73
06-19-2007, 08:05 AM
GMD is one of my dads favorite movies. I haven't seen it in ages, though. Didn't it have a basset hound in it?

Why yes it did... Toby. Here's a (really bad) pic:

http://www.animationartgallery.com/images/WDC/WDCDB1.gif

Medikor
06-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks Luckyrocks! I love bassets because I used to have one. It's nice to see one get a meaty role in a film.8D I'm really going to have to watch this movie again someday.