PDA

View Full Version : What a Fat Pig!

Invader Bloo
05-26-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/weirdnews/ci_5987937

MONTGOMERY, Ala.- Hogzilla is being made into a horror movie. But the sequel may be even bigger: Meet Monster Pig. An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4, from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.
If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.
Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet long. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.
Regardless of the comparison, Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig.
Click link for pics.
Holy crud! How do pigs get that big!?:eek:

Cassini90125
05-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I keep thinking about the world's largest ham sandwich... ;D

Invader Bloo
05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Your really like X-mas dinner don't you? 8D

emperor26
05-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Whoa! That is one BIG pig! :wiltshock:

pitbulllady
05-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, hogs DO get that big, though this is obviously a domestic hog gone wild, rather than a true wild boar, since real wild hogs do not have floppy ears. Nonetheless, feral domesticated hogs can be just as dangerous. This one is probably a "barrow", a male hog that's been neutered, since these will get a lot bigger and heavier than an intact boar, and I noticed that this hog does not have tusks. Barrows do not grow tusks, which is one of the reasons that most male hogs are "fixed", that and the meat is much more edible. I used to hunt wild hogs with dogs(this is what Catahoula Leopard Dogs were specifically bred to hunt and CATCH, so if you happen to drive up in someone's yard and they have a Catahoula, think about that before you decide to get out of your car) and a knife. I've killed hogs myself that weighed over 500 pounds, and we didn't think too much about it. I don't know whether to call that kid incredibly brave or incredibly stupid for going after this thing with a PISTOL and no dogs, since dogs can at least keep it distracted and buy you a few second to get to a tree if the thing charges(and they usually DO)! I'm surprised a pistol even hurt it, since I've seen high-powered rifle bullets just flatten out against that layer of gristle just under the skin, which literally acts like bullet-proof armor!
At least this kid's family is going to eat the hog, and not bury it to try to keep its real weight from being discovered so that they can make outrageous claims, like the guy who shot "Hogzilla" did. 800 pounds is not the least bit unusually for a domesticated boar hog, and "Hogzilla" probably was also a domesticated hog that had escaped and gone wild. It's hard to even imagine what 500 pounds of sausage would look like, though. Maybe they'll do what most hog hunters do when the freezer get filled up, and donate it to homeless charities and such.

pitbulllady

Partymember
05-26-2007, 08:12 PM
i just saw this elsewhere on the net. My fist thought was what the hell kind of .50 caliber revolver holds 8 shots, my second thought was he must have reloaded, and my third thought was holy crap, he was reloading his gun after shooting 1000 pounds of adrenaline-filled muscle.

Then i thought about what you would hnt one of these beasts with, .308 is probably too wimpy, 30-06 is probably even a bit small. These animals are immense, they make a strong case for Remington to design a 10-shot semi-auto 45-70 carbine.

its funny to think of a little kid blasting this thing with a revolver while his dad is covering him with some ridiculous gun like a .338 Lapua.

I used to hunt wild hogs with dogs(this is what Catahoula Leopard Dogs were specifically bred to hunt and CATCH, so if you happen to drive up in someone's yard and they have a Catahoula, think about that before you decide to get out of your car) and a knife.

pitbulllady

you hunted these things with a KNIFE?

You're braver than i am, PBL! 8D

i wouldn't feel safe with anything under .45 caliber, LOL.

Carlaz
05-26-2007, 09:43 PM

Definitely braver than me as well Pitbulllady! You live an exciting life! :D

Partymember
05-26-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah, and i was talking Long Colt, not ACP!

knife...wow.

I'm going to have to come down and hunt with you some time 8D

pitbulllady
05-27-2007, 08:21 AM
i just saw this elsewhere on the net. My fist thought was what the hell kind of .50 caliber revolver holds 8 shots, my second thought was he must have reloaded, and my third thought was holy crap, he was reloading his gun after shooting 1000 pounds of adrenaline-filled muscle.

Then i thought about what you would hnt one of these beasts with, .308 is probably too wimpy, 30-06 is probably even a bit small. These animals are immense, they make a strong case for Remington to design a 10-shot semi-auto 45-70 carbine.

its funny to think of a little kid blasting this thing with a revolver while his dad is covering him with some ridiculous gun like a .338 Lapua.

Yep! Once the catch-dogs had the hog immobilized, one of us would finish it off with a knife(and I'm talking a "Crocodile Dundee" sorta knife). A lot of hog hunters do not consider it ethical to shoot wild hogs, but hunt in the traditional Celtic/European tradition. I have actually shot and killed hogs with a .22 Magnum rifle, though, but you have to be a REALLY good shot(and I am, if I have to say so myself), be at close range, and know precisely where to aim. You will only make one mad if you aim for a body shot, like hitting a rhino with a BB gun. This is why I always used dogs, because a good pack of Catahoulas can keep the hog's attention off of ME. Hog hunting is not for anyone who has any physical infirmity, though, and once I seriously injured my left foot in a fall in 2001, and started having more diabetic-related foot problems, that put me out of the hog hunting loop. If you can't run and can't climb, you're toast!

pitbulllady

Partymember
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
how do the wild ones taste?

old school hog hunting sounds neat.

Bloo2daMacs
05-27-2007, 10:07 AM
WHOAH!

If I saw that thing in the woods it would FREAK THE HELL OUTTA ME! :P

Nyo
05-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Oh em gee.

That's one for the record book!

Pawbah
05-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Man, reading that made me want Ham. Ham and Bacon. :cheese:

jekylljuice
05-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Hmm...you know, pigs are actually one of my favourite animals...I am of course thinking more along the lines of the cute little Babe variety as opposed to the big hulking wild ones, but still,I think I'd probably be a lot happier if I don't check out that photo. :P

fosters home fan
05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Reminds me of Bloaty the pig (from Invader ZIM) lol. :P 8D

scary_dream
05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I've looked at the picture over the last few days but haven't commented on this thread, but omg...

Last night I had the scariest dream that I was in a tour group and we were being chased by a whole pack of wild pigs that looked exactly like that one!!! They were like, REALLY hostile and mad, extremely fast, and were ramming into people and headbutting them and trampling everyone. I think I was the only one that didn't die. They were like, demon-esque!

I'm pretty sure my dream came from two sources: 1) the picture and 2) PBL mentioning "dangerous feral hogs" 8D

I love scary dreams :D The sense of relief after waking from one is incomparable.

pitbulllady
05-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I've looked at the picture over the last few days but haven't commented on this thread, but omg...

Last night I had the scariest dream that I was in a tour group and we were being chased by a whole pack of wild pigs that looked exactly like that one!!! They were like, REALLY hostile and mad, extremely fast, and were ramming into people and headbutting them and trampling everyone. I think I was the only one that didn't die. They were like, demon-esque!

I'm pretty sure my dream came from two sources: 1) the picture and 2) PBL mentioning "dangerous feral hogs" 8D

I love scary dreams :D The sense of relief after waking from one is incomparable.

They WILL actually do just what you described, if they know the people aren't armed, since hogs are smart enough to figure that out and they know you can't hurt them if you do not have any weapons. Believe it or not, a hog that size can probably run faster than a Thoroughbred race horse, and much, much faster than a human! They do not "head butt", though-they bite with bone-crushing power and rip into their victims using a lightning-fast head-jab that puts these into use:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Misc%20photos/DSCF4744.jpg

This is from a SMALL wild boar that fell into a sinkhole on the property of Friendfield/Spring Hill Plantation near Georgetown, South Carolina, and died there. The top tusks are missing, and the bottom ones, which are the smaller set, are nearly 10 inches from the jawbone to the tip. If you lightly pull a sheet of paper across the tip of a tusk, it will slice the paper as cleanly as a X-acto knife-that's just how sharp it is! I've seen hogs rip open the sheet metal along the side of a pickup truck, like peeling back the lid to a sardine can, with these tusks. Comparing these things to "Babe" is like comparing Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies to Shirley Temple!

pitbulllady

scary_dream
05-28-2007, 03:46 PM
:wiltshock: That is REALLY scary PBL!!!!

The pigs in my dream seemed overly mean and too quick to me, but after reading what you said about them... eep!

Hope I never encounter any of them in real life!

Medikor
06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I love wild boars! They're one of my favorite animals and the animal that I feel I would likely turn into if we lived in a fantasy world. I find that they are very regal, powerful and respectable animals.
I've seen that story on CNN and I found it really interesting. And I found your information and stories of hog hunting equally interesting, Pittbully.:D

pitbulllady
06-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I love wild boars! They're one of my favorite animals and the animal that I feel I would likely turn into if we lived in a fantasy world. I find that they are very regal, powerful and respectable animals.
I've seen that story on CNN and I found it really interesting. And I found your information and stories of hog hunting equally interesting, Pittbully.:D

They are indeed VERY respectable, as well as very fast and smart...and extremely dangerous. They's why it was a right of passage for Celtic youth, both male and female, to kill a wild boar armed only with a knife, and why today many hog hunters absolutely refuse to use a gun to kill a wild boar-respect for both the animal and tradition. Anyone can shoot an animal from a distance or the safety of a tree stand, but to meet it one-on-one, armed basically with the same weapon it uses, just made of a different material, is something considered more worthy. Trust me, a LOT of hunters have been severely injured or even killed by these animals, so they're no joke.

pitbulllady

Partymember
06-01-2007, 08:21 PM
They WILL actually do just what you described, if they know the people aren't armed, since hogs are smart enough to figure that out and they know you can't hurt them if you do not have any weapons. Believe it or not, a hog that size can probably run faster than a Thoroughbred race horse, and much, much faster than a human! They do not "head butt", though-they bite with bone-crushing power and rip into their victims using a lightning-fast head-jab that puts these into use:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Misc%20photos/DSCF4744.jpg

This is from a SMALL wild boar that fell into a sinkhole on the property of Friendfield/Spring Hill Plantation near Georgetown, South Carolina, and died there. The top tusks are missing, and the bottom ones, which are the smaller set, are nearly 10 inches from the jawbone to the tip. If you lightly pull a sheet of paper across the tip of a tusk, it will slice the paper as cleanly as a X-acto knife-that's just how sharp it is! I've seen hogs rip open the sheet metal along the side of a pickup truck, like peeling back the lid to a sardine can, with these tusks. Comparing these things to "Babe" is like comparing Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies to Shirley Temple!

pitbulllady

Note to self: carry 12 gauge with slugs if i ever go to South Carolina.

Medikor
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Trust me, a LOT of hunters have been severely injured or even killed by these animals, so they're no joke.pitbulllady

I wouldn't doubt it. Those things are solid! Like tanks with stubby legs.

Invader Bloo
06-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I heard this isn't a wild pig, it's a pet that must of died.:o

pitbulllady
06-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I heard this isn't a wild pig, it's a pet that must of died.:o

No, it was no pet, and it had definately been shot and killed...dead things do not bleed if you shoot 'em. It was NOT a true wild boar, though, but a feral hog, which is a domesticated hog that has escaped or been intentionally released and reverted back to a wild state. Hogs do this very readily; they do not need humans to care for them at all, and feral hogs are actually MORE dangerous than purebred wild boars, since they get a lot bigger and have far less natural fear of humans. This is what the old folks back in the hills used to call a "razorback", because in those days, before wide-spread agriculture and fish farms and such made fattening food readily available for wild hogs to eat, food was scarce, and they would often be very thin with their backbones showing, in contrast to a pen-kept hog. This particular hog had caused a lot of trouble in the area by tearing up livestock fences to get at the food put out for cattle and horses, and by literally knocking over large trash dumpsters to eat what was inside. This hog actually originated at a hog farm, and it had been sold to a hunting preserve to be released as breeding stock(so it was not castrated, as I originally figured due to its size), which is the only legal way to replenish wild boar stock now that it is illegal to release true wild, or "Russian" boars. The original owner sold it because it killed his other hogs, tore up fences and property, and was very aggressive towards humans, but later regretted it because he realized that even when released, the hog would still present a threat.

pitbulllady

Mr. Marshmallow
06-04-2007, 11:18 AM
This is off topic but everytime I read this thread title, I swear, the first thing that comes to mind is Alec Baldwin yelling at his daughter.

"You are a BEEP rude, thoughtless little pig!" :cheesegrin:

I just had to tell someone that.