PDA

View Full Version : Made a new friend!

scary_dream
05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I made friends with a spider yesterday!

I was sitting at my friend's graduation, and something dropped down between my eyes and made me go crosseyed. I put my hand up there and got it down, and it was a tiny cute little white spider! I let it crawl on my hand for a minute (I wasn't threatening it at all so hopefully it had no reason to bite me.. in any case, it didn't) and then scooped him/her up with my program and set him/her on the seat next to me. It spun a little web so it could hang from my program. I had to go, so I let it do its thing (eventually it got bored of hanging there, so I waited until it got to the floor, then I made sure the web wasn't still on my program before I picked it up) and left.

It was a cute experience!

Partymember
05-25-2007, 06:58 PM
aww, the tiny ones are cute. Its the quivering, hairy, spindly-legged, bulbous monstrosities that have me reaching for a can of Raid.

xxxClaire
05-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Ahh, I hate spiders! I'm afraid to touch them, and I can't go to sleep knowing one's in my room. :macwor:

pitbulllady
05-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I make friends with spiders all the time, especially Jumpers, since at least they will acknowledge you, one-on-one, rather than just try to run away. Spider behavior is absolutely fascinating to observe. For an invertebrate, those are some pretty darn clever and personable little critters!

pitbulllady

Owennoreen
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Lots of times a see i image of a spider in my head and i scream!

Crash-N-Cortex
06-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Spiders can be a bit creepy. It can appear in a place where you least expect.

pitbulllady
06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Spiders can be a bit creepy. It can appear in a place where you least expect.

But that's half the fun, finding something cool in a place where you didn't expect it, like this big fat girl that crawled out from underneath one of our church pews last Sunday:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Spider%20and%20Other%20Arachnid%20Photos/DSCF4885.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Spider%20and%20Other%20Arachnid%20Photos/DSCF4888.jpg

She's a BIG Kukulcania hibernalis, or "Southern Black House Spider", or "Black Crevice Spider"-completely harmless and docile as a kitten. Fortunately, I tend to keep empty plastic vials and condiment cups in my purse, for just this sort of occasion, and I scooped her up before she could cause too much of a stir among the congregation! The preacher(whom I've mentioned on here before as a Foster's fan himself) already had gotten used to me napping multi-legged critters during the services, so he didn't even break stride in his sermon! He just joked about the spider being a better audience to his sermons than some of the church members at the other church he preaches at!

My female Daring Jumping Spider(Phidippus audax) is every bit as much a pet as a cat or dog. She actually pays attention to me when I talk to her, and will jump out of her container when I open it and perch on my finger, or follow my finger around the outside of her enclosure while she's inside. She learned quickly that I feed her using a pair of long forceps, and all I have to do to get her really wound up is to show her the forceps! But then, what would I expect from a critter of which 70% of its body weight is brain?

pitbulllady

Sparky
06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow, I want a pet jumping spider now! ;D Never thought of keeping one, I just look at them when I find them outside or whatever.