PDA

View Full Version : Bionic Woman

emperor26
05-22-2007, 06:17 AM
I was watching the Heroes finale last night when I saw a glimpse of a new version of the original show, the Bionic Woman.

For those who's unfamiliar with the original series, the Bionic Woman revolves around Jamie, who's life is changed forever when she became involved in an accident, resulting her to be part machine. She now uses these new abilities to work with an organization on the missions she's assigned to.

From what I saw, I actually say this looks promising, even though I have to admit I never saw the original. But, being open-minded, I rather give this show a chance than jump to conclusion about it once it airs this September.

If you're curious, check NBC to find out more.

Ditchy McAbandonpants
05-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I noticed this whilst browsing TV.com...this isn't a show that I would normally have any interest in, but I was astonished when I noticed that the lead role had been taken by Michelle Ryan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0752740/): I doubt that any Americans will have heard of her, but any Brit who's watched BBC One for more than about twenty minutes will instantly recognise her from the hugely popular soap opera EastEnders, on which she played Zoe Slater for five years. Should this show take off, maybe she'll start becoming as well known over there as she has been here since 2000...

From my perspective, this discovery simultaneously begins and ends my interest in this show. :P I suppose it's nice seeing well-known British faces making it big in the US (like Hugh Laurie on House), but that's tempered by the fact that I think that EastEnders is frankly pants, and that I find Michelle Ryan to be an incredibly shrill and irritating actress; I wouldn't be able to watch the show out of fear that she'd lapse back into her horribly overwrought Cock-er-nee accent and start screeching "YOU AIN'T MY MUVVA!!!" at other cast members. Still, at least Bionic Woman sounds like it'll have more credible plotting than EastEnders, who a couple of years ago tried to boost ratings by reintroducing a character WHO'D BEEN DEAD FOR MORE THAN TEN YEARS...or at least they did until audiences got bored of him, at which point they killed him off again. Uh, and then exhumed him. On the day of his daughter's wedding. To her own step-brother. ::)

So, uh, yeah, that's Michelle Ryan's pedigree for you. :P Who knows, maybe ol' Zoe Slater will prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mr. Marshmallow
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I think the main reason behind this decision is to bring back what has actually been missing, besides the program itself: science fiction. Most modern shows these days have all evolved past the now canned shows like Buffy the vampire slayer, Roswell, Dark Angel, and Veronica Mars.

NBC lost nearly all of it's new shows except for "Heroes", their biggest hit show to date and, surprise surprise, it's SCIENCE FICTION! Networks believe that if one show of that genre works, a dozen will. Bionic Woman is the first in a line of new super powered, science fiction like shows coming for the next line up.

I've read bout this for a while and they got some new shows about time travel, mind reading, super powered people, and even a temporary spin off for Heroes called "Heroes: Origins". Fox is also bringing out the "Sarah Connor Chronicles" which takes place between T2 and T3 in the Terminator movie universe.

To me, it's no surprise a show of Bionic Woman's type is coming out after the success of Heroes. The fact it's an older show coming back to life is a surprising move however. I personally think it looks pretty good and I'll wait after the first few episodes before I love it or loathe it, same with Chronicles.

It was a smart move to show it after Heroes since so many people watch the show, showing for a teaser for a TV show similar to Heroes after the finale was a smart move. I think it looks pretty good but I'm still more interested in seeing the Sarah Connor Chronicles personally, I'm VERY curious to see how they pull that one off.

emperor26
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Slighty off-topic, do you know when the Sarah Connor Chronicle will air on Fox?

Mr. Marshmallow
05-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Fox will air the Connor show along with all the other networks new shows in the fall after the summer. Since everyone has pretty much done their season finales, the summer will be full of reruns and what not until the new fall lineup arrives in the well....fall :P.

The Connor Chronicles follow Sarah and a teenage John Connor after the 2nd Terminator movie ends, it involves them on the run from the government, the police, and yes, REAL terminator robots. I've been hearing about this show almost as long as I have Bionic woman.

Also on a semi related note, Bionic Woman's trailer aired after Heroes finale and the actor who plays John Connor played Claire's friend Zack on Heroes.

emperor26
05-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks, Mr. Marshmallow. :)