PDA

View Full Version : The Price Is Right: who will replace Barker?

Ccook50
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Most of western civilization is aware that next month, Bob Barker will retire as host of The Price Is Right after 35 years. Consensus speculation seems to indicate that whoever the production company (Fremantle) and CBS get to replace him that the show will tank in the ratings.

When CBS brought The Price Is Right back to TV in 1972, nobody thought Barker could host it as the original version (1956-65)* was hosted by Bill Cullen and he was associated with the show by name alone. Barker proved the naysayers wrong. There have been some speculation as to who will be the new host based on tryout tapings, some reasonable, some way out in left field.

Rich Fields, Price announcer. The audiences love him and he seems to bring some enthusiasm and knowledge of the show.

Todd Newton. He's had seasoning from the Harrah's Price Is Right shows he's done in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and San Diego.

George Hamilton, actor. They claim he's testing well, but fans say he's too laid back and could be unfamiliar with the set-up.

John O'Hurley, actor, currently hosting Family Feud. He's already off the short list, but his future on Feud is unclear as the show's renewal for fall hasn't been announced.

Rosie O'Donnell's name has even been bantered. She'd love the job but Fremantle isn't interested. She's become too much of a polarizing figure of late.

Whoever gets the gig will have to give it the best shot they can and maintain the same enthusiasm Barker has. 'Tain't gonna be easy.

*--This version was done from New York City and had the contestants participating in auction-style bidding. Quite far from the current show, it still had the same objective--come closest to the price without going over.

Cassini90125
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
If I had to pick from the listed choices, I'd go with George Hamilton. He's a likable guy, and I think he could potentially do a dang good job. Alas, whoever gets the job has a very tough act to follow; one has to wonder how long TPIR will survive without Barker.

AerostarMonk
05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm going to let you in on a little secret, the next host is me. They said they wanted a fresh face and to bring in the youth audiences. So after a long auditioning process they finally decided on me. I'm so happy. I've watched Price Is Right ever since I was a little kid. And yes, I promise more Plinko.

Medikor
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
John O'Hurley... is he the guy who narrates the coarse light beer commercials? If I'm thinking of the same guy then I think he would be great for the role.
But why would they even keep the show running after Barker leaves? They know it will die out after he does, right? Oh and Rosie O'Donnell should not even be considered for anything. She has become such a bitter and hateful person that can't keep her feud with Trump from spoiling every appearance she makes and has no business on TV anymore. That's how I feel anyway.

Cassini90125
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I'd consider using her as an anchor or reactor shielding but that's about it. :P

If they want to have a woman host the show, I would love for it to be former TPIR model Holly Hallstrom. Barker and co. fired her for allegedly weighing too much, and put her through legal hell for years afterwards. Her replacing Barker would be wonderful revenge for her fans.

Medikor
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM
A female host would be neat. Good thinking Cassini! As long as the host is good and not just put in for the sake of change then it could be refreshing. I honestly can't think someone who would be good as a host but, for some unknown reason, I feel that Tyra Banks might be good.

Ccook50
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Not Tyra. She's an egomaniac.

A female host wouldn't be out of the question, though. Last year, Ricki Lake hosted the Price Is Right portion of CBS's Gameshow Marathon, and in the early 1960s, Arlene Francis filled in for Bill Cullen on the show.

Medikor
05-05-2007, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=Ccook50;42824]Not Tyra. She's an egomaniac.[QUOTE]

8D I'll have to take your word on that. I've never really seen her show. I guess no one can really fill Barkers shoes and do it justice.

Ccook50
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Keep in mind that three syndicated nighttime editions of Price had others hosting that weren't Barker. Here's how they fared:

1972-80 version: Dennis James. His tenure lasted four years. He retired in 1976 and was replaced by Barker.

1985-86 version: Tom Kennedy. Tom knew his beans about Price (especially since original Price host Bill Cullen was his brother-in-law), but this version lasted only one season. The juggernaut double shot of Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy! was taking firm hold in the syndicated arena at this point.

1994-95 version: Doug Davidson. He was one of the stars of the CBS soap The Young & The Restless, but on a game show he was a deer in the headlights. This version ran only four-and-a-half months, barely making a blip on the ratings radar.

One Radical Dude
05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Ugh, anyone but Rosie O'Donnell (why is she even being mentioned?). She has really lost it, and her radical statements are enough to make me be sick of her. I won't say anymore about O'Donnell than that.

Anyway, I believe it's going to be mighty difficult to replace Bob Barker.

fosters home fan
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Isn't this show ready to get cancelled? I mean, how popular is it?

One Radical Dude
05-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Nope. The game show will continue on, even after Barker retires.

fosters home fan
05-06-2007, 05:05 PM
hmm, ok. I honestly don't have an opinion as to who would best replace him.

Cassini90125
05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I can see Mr. Herriman as the announcer. Instead of calling out, "Come on down!", he says, "Please proceed to contestants row in a calm and orderly manner!" :herriman: 8D

Carlaz
05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I can see Mr. Herriman as the announcer. Instead of calling out, "Come on down!", he says, "Please proceed to contestants row in a calm and orderly manner!" :herriman: 8D

8D Good one Cassini!

I don't really know who can replace Bob Barker. He is a fantastic host.

I used to watch the show with my Grandma.

Ccook50
05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
At the moment, Price is one of network daytime's highest rated shows. For some odd reason, the Nielsens pare the show's ratings into its two half hours. The second half hour ranks #2 overall on network daytime.

emperor26
07-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I was searching around the internet, and as soon as I went to the Yahoo! website, I found an article that has confirm the new host for the Price is Right will be Drew Carey, the comedian best know for his own sitcom, as well as hosting "Whose Line Is It Anyway".

Even though I haven't seen the show or Drew Carey for a while, I might be looking forward to it as soon as CBS airs it.

Also, if Drew Carey does a fine job on the show, he might make it a must-see.

You can read more right here:

http://tv.yahoo.com/show/33016/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20070723:tv_price_carey__ER

AerostarMonk
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I always love it when an Ohio man succeeds. Go Drew!!

LaBloo
07-25-2007, 05:20 AM
I hope he's great for the Price is Right guy, becuase Bob did a great job.

Medikor
07-25-2007, 06:18 AM
After I heard that Drew got the job, something clicked. I honestly can't think of anyone more suited for the job. :D

Cassini90125
07-25-2007, 07:33 AM
I never even thought of Drew for the job, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Ccook50
07-25-2007, 02:10 PM
At Golden-Road.net (where Price fans are as fervid as Star Trek and Star Wars fans), people spent the better part of the last months either guessing who would replace Bob (Todd Newton, Mark Steines) to who they wanted personally (Cat Deeley, William Shatner). It's all moot now.

Shelltoon
07-25-2007, 08:42 PM
William Shatner hosting... I could see it happening.

"Ladies and gentlemen... welcome... to the Price is Right."
"Now then... I'm giving you... a chance... to win... this!"

On second thought, maybe that isn't such a good idea. XD

Can't wait to see this show with Drew Carey hosting. I think he's best suited for the job... well that, and I LOVE Who's Line.

taranchula
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
William Shatner hosting... I could see it happening.

"Ladies and gentlemen... welcome... to the Price is Right."
"Now then... I'm giving you... a chance... to win... this!"

On second thought, maybe that isn't such a good idea. XD

Can't wait to see this show with Drew Carey hosting. I think he's best suited for the job... well that, and I LOVE Who's Line.

It would have been even funnier to hear Shatner deliver Bob's and now Drew's end of the show catch phrase. "Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered." 8D