PDA

View Full Version : Foreign language Foster's episodes

bloonuggets
04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
So, I was browsing the youtube.com website a few days ago, and I stumbled upon three sets of Foster's episodes in Japanese.

EDIT: Removed by CN due to copyright issues.

On top of those (before the copyright removal issues), if you have ever done so, has you seen an episode in a language other than English?

Mulch
04-09-2007, 02:13 AM
I get the Scandinavian Cartoon Network here in Iceland, and it's in English, thank goodness, but you can switch the audio to Danish. I once watched Mac Daddy in that language (having seen it a million times already). Then, I'm also aware of an Icelandic dub, which starts showing seasons right after they've finished in the US (I saw a bit of Good Wilt Hunting in Icelandic about two weeks ago). It's called "Matta Fóstra og Ímynduðu Vinirnir," or "Madame Foster and the Imaginary Friends." I guess the name of the home in Icelandic is too long to fit in TV guides. They could have put some other name on it though, as that title sounds like some learning show for 2-4yr olds, and the episodes rarely focus on Madame Foster:mfoster: .

HappyFoppy
04-09-2007, 05:44 AM
On top of these, if you have ever done so, has you seen an episode in a language other than English?
Yes, as I live in Belgium, I have seen every episode from S1-3 in Dutch at least 3 times. 8D

k0ugs
04-09-2007, 06:40 PM
the voices arent that far off... pretty awesome find!

bloonuggets
04-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Domo origato!

That's about as much Japanese that I know of...well, some of it.

Jabberwocky
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
That was weird. I don't like Bloo's voice but those were still really cute to watch. I mean, kawaii. Jabaawoki are kill the vernacular!

I watched the first season in French... XD

kageri
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Fun fact: the guy who does Bloo's Japanese voice also does the Japanese voice of Sasuke in Naruto.

Watching Foster's in other languages amuses me.

bloonuggets
04-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow. Can you tell us who does the other voices?

Master Knight DH
04-14-2007, 12:12 PM
There seems to be translation differences, like Mac says "iie" ("no") at the start of where his "That was weird" line was.

The titles certainly tell us that much. "suteki na GAARUFURENDO" means "Dreamy Girlfriend" if I'm not mistaken.

"wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru, wakaru"

(Please understand that I don't know much JP. But I know what the Kana becomes in becoming Romanji. And I know the location of a couple of good JP word translators.)

Addendum (9:30 PM): Whoa. Mac is even more overwhelmed by anger in the JP dub. He says "bakayarou" (which translates to "idiot!") where he said "don't you get it."

jekylljuice
04-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Eeee, Japanese Kip and Crackers! Thanks for sharing. :D

I'm surprised they even bothered dubbing Coco's voice, though. I'd always thought she spoke a universal language. ;)

MacAttack140
04-15-2007, 08:05 AM
OMG!!! I only watched the first part of Mac Daddy.... WOW...... That was so weird. I didn't like Bloo's voice, I was a little low....... but still, it was pretty cool.

Ub3rD4n
04-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Chokoreto Miruku daisuke!

ptps
07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I caught all three of the Japanese dubs before CN removed them from YouTube, and honestly I wasn't very impressed with the dubbing for Bloo or Cheese. The others (Mac, Wilt, Ed, Coco, Herriman, Frankie) were all spot on and likable, but Bloo?! He's the main character! Why wasn't more care taken to select an appropriate voice actor? Sure Sasuke's VA is popular and he's done a lot of main characters well, but pinching his nose and screaming out lines for Bloo isn't going to cut it. >>; Bloo totally lost all his appeal and charm in the show. (Hearing him sing in the dubbed Sweet Stench of Success... urgh)

I really liked Mac''s voice actor on the other hand. It's almost as if Sean was speaking Japanese. XD;

And Cheese omg I don't know what happened to him, but he was heck annoying in the dub. O-o; And Goo kind of lost all her character quirkiness in the dub too, I think mainly because the Japanese already speak damn fast anyway, so when her lines got translated it wasn't that big a difference when you heard it.

Sigh, ah well. English for me, lol.

Cassini90125
07-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Sigh, ah well. English for me, lol.

For me as well. It may be interesting to listen to different voices playing the characters for a minute or two but for me if it's in a language I can't understand then I'd rather watch something else.

FeDeReR
07-16-2007, 05:24 AM
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Cartoon Network, Inc.

antgirl1
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Gosh, Wilt sounds practically TERRIBLE in any language, except English, that I know of. XDD

Kippixel
07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
*would kill for an attempt to decipher an Italian version* 8D

ClessAlvein
09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Actually, Kippixel, on Cartoon Network . it (.it is for the Italian version of Cartoon Network .com) you can see a video clip of the Italian Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends .

Go to www.cartoonnetwork.it and click on Video.
Then click on the video that says "Gli Amici Immaginari Di Casa Foster" (The Italian name of the show) and the video will load.

Oh! One more thing, the episode clip is from "Mac Daddy"

Tell me what you think of it.

Zeitgheist
09-15-2007, 01:14 AM
We have Foster's in Swedish over here... but, it's actually not a bad dub. I'm usually very critic to dubs because I make myself used to the English version first. But aside from name changes (Wilt = Ville. Mac = Max), the voices are very close to the original... only that Bloo's might be a LITTLE too high pitched. I think the best voices are Wilt's, Frankie's and Herriman's

I suppose you can see videos here:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.se/microsites/fosters/index.jsp

antgirl1
09-15-2007, 09:27 AM
I can't believe they arn't loading. Errors come up.

Nem
09-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I can't believe they arn't loading. Errors come up.

Same here D: I even downloaded Windows Media Player, and still nothing :3

ClessAlvein
09-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Here is the link to a clip of an Italian Foster's episode.

http://www.cartoonnetwork.it/videos/index.jsp

The good news is- it is the Episode "Mac Daddy" and you will get to hear what Cheese sounds like in Italian for the 1st time!

Tell me what you think of it.

RocketBabyDoll
09-16-2007, 03:13 AM
I know Foster's in German, but I prefer the original. They used to show Foster's at a reasonable time, but then they just stopped someday, moved it to 10 am few weeks later, stopped again and now I'm not sure if it's shown again. Might be even earlier.

I'd like watching the Italian version (I'm starting University next month, going to be an Italian teacher), but it won't play.

ClessAlvein
09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Maybe I can help you out, RocketBabyDoll.

1st off, you cannot see the videos on the microsite of Foster's because it requires an Italian version of Windows Media Player.

Secondly, on the link I have given to you last night, the videos will play on the English version of Windows Media Player.

I know it seems a little awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

Good luck to you being an Italian language teacher! Or as the Italians say:
Buona Fortuna!

Frankie_4_Prez
05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Apparently in the Spanish DVD dubs, Eduardo occasionally throws in a word or two in English :weirded: Probably counts in English, too...

What I'm wondering now is, what became of the Japanese-speaking Bloo created by Goo in "Bus the 2 of us"? Logic would assume she creates an English-speaking Bloo, though, that's just boooooooring. :bloocross:

Prutnick
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
http://www.kreskowka.pl/category/196

If anyone's interested, here's the first season of FHFIF in Polish. As I mentioned in other thread, I don't like the voices here. I mean, Frankie sounds more like a child, Wilts voice is tragic and there's Max not Mac in this version.

WiltsAKGirl17
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Gosh, Wilt sounds practically TERRIBLE in any language, except English, that I know of. XDD

Oh, c'mon Ant, be fair-- I thought he sounded pretty good in Japanese. :) I watched Where There's a Wilt... on a Japanese site called nicovideo.jp. I'd learned about it on the forums (here) and tried it out. You have to sign up, and I needed to keep going through translate.google.com, but it worked, and I enjoyed it. Only I couldn't understand a word of what was being said except for (please forgive my mispelling) Uilto-- Wilt in Japanese.

Shelltoon
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I think Wilt's voice has been the toughest to get right in a foreign language. Bloo sounds great in the Polish dub, but Mac sounds a heck of a lot younger in the Polish dub, and did you ever notice that in the first season episodes Coco's not dubbed over, but they dub her in seasons 2 and beyond? XD

Lynnie
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Haha, I just cannot understand why anyone would feel the need to dub Coco. 8D Maybe the original voices are muffled when dubbing voices are used, and they figured it would sound best if all the characters were dubbed? Eh, I dunno. But I still find that funny. ;)

antgirl1
05-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh, c'mon Ant, be fair-- I thought he sounded pretty good in Japanese. :) I watched Where There's a Wilt... on a Japanese site called nicovideo.jp. I'd learned about it on the forums (here) and tried it out. You have to sign up, and I needed to keep going through translate.google.com, but it worked, and I enjoyed it. Only I couldn't understand a word of what was being said except for (please forgive my mispelling) Uilto-- Wilt in Japanese.

Here's the languages I liked Wilt in:

English
French
Japanese
Polish

Am I being fair now? :D

WiltsAKGirl17
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Here's the languages I liked Wilt in:

English
French
Japanese
Polish

Am I being fair now? :D

I suppose-- I've never heard French or Polish. I have crappy video-veiwing capacities. :P

But I probably misinterpreted your original post. And if that's the case, I'm sorry about that.

WiltsAKGirl17
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry about the double post.

Does anyone know where there may be some Korean translations of Foster's floating aorund? I have this weird thing for Korean language (especially the written aspect, since I can read it), so hearing Foster's in Korean would absoluetly rock my socks. Thanks! :D

Natty
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Ah yes, Dutch dubs... the rottenness...

They've named Cheese 'Brie' :( all jokes like 'Mac & Cheese' and 'Bloo Cheese' are now gone... the only joke that DOES work better is 'Nu zijn we brietjes!' ('Now we're brother-ladies' ?)

Though it's pretty much only the translations that can suck at moments. The voices are pretty well done..

WestBunny:3
09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
I first saw Foster's dubbed to spanish ***, but I think it still works a lot better in english and I'll always say that that's what keeps the magic of the show :)

***Something that anyone has said yet, there is a huge difference between latin spanish and european spanish. The version discussed about two or three pages ago was the mexican one, but here I'm talking about the european version (in which Eduardo doesn't try to talk english). And it's always the same damn thing, everyone arguing about how horrible the other voices sound :(. It's just sad. Latin people just don't watch programmes dubbed by us, and neither do we. It's terrible to say it, but I myself find SO annoying mexican accent,but well, latin people keep saying that "you all seem to be talking with a potato in your mouth", so fine (hey that reminds me of cheese :cheese:)
What I wanted to say is that there is more than one spanish accent and you should try to watch the two versions, and that I'm really against this nonsense about which dub is better.

Fomalhaut
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I first started watching Foster's in Hungarian, given that I live in Hungary... some jokes play off really well, and the dub is great. The only thing that disturbs me is that they haven't translated too many names, and the ones they did fit quite well, except for Wilt, who's named "Boom" (wtf?), it sounds quite weird to say the least. I've also seen it in Italian, and though Italian dub is usually great, this is just... sick. Horrible.

WiltsAKGirl17
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I first started watching Foster's in Hungarian, given that I live in Hungary... some jokes play off really well, and the dub is great. The only thing that disturbs me is that they haven't translated too many names, and the ones they did fit quite well, except for Wilt, who's named "Boom" (wtf?), it sounds quite weird to say the least. I've also seen it in Italian, and though Italian dub is usually great, this is just... sick. Horrible.

Heh heh... nice one. I once got really bored and ran Wilt's thread through translate.google.com and seeing what his name came back as in English. I got some intersting results-- my personal favorite is Korean: "Pick up the cup." 8D Quite amusing at 2 AM really.

Another Castle
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
So far, I have seen little bits of Fosters in German (I liked it), Dutch, Polish, Irish and Italian. I've looked up the different European CN sites and they have the same clips for each language. I cannot really remember each of the voices (I don't think anything sounded particularly out of place), but it is funny when you see a sign/banner in English and sometimes a creepy voice translates it8D!

One thing that strikes me is that a lot of humor is based around wordplay and puns- take for example, from Cookie Dough, Bloo says:
"C'mon guys, we need that dough- get it kneed dough!"
A clever pun in English (and one of my favorite lines), but you need to know that 'dough' is slang for money, and since they are baking cookies, they kneed dough as part of the progress. How Does that translate? Especally taking into account Bloo's delivery

Lynnie
01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
So far, I have seen little bits of Fosters in German (I liked it), Dutch, Polish, Irish and Italian.
Irish, really? As in Gaelic? Or just English with an Irish dialect? I'm very curious. ;)

Another Castle
01-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Irish Gaelic, I get it confused with the Scots language. Here's a link (which may or may not work):
http://www.tg4.ie/stud/cula/prog.asp?PID=7

Like Welsh or Breton, it is one of those ancient Celtic languages that the minority speak as a first language, but heavily plugged by the local governments in schools and on road signs, to save it from extinction.

Chi'n Ta
07-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Since I'm from Brazil, I guess it's natural that I've watched FHFIF in brazilian portuguese a couple of times.
I've also watched the english version, which in my opinion is way better than the brazilian portuguese dubbed version. I mean, Bloo is really loud in the portuguese version and Cheese doesn't sound right (I'm used to watching the original version, so I've grown used to Cheese's original, creepy and incredibly funny voice).

Sorry for my bad english. XD

Here is the short called Pen Pal in brazilian portuguese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5eaCBTm8Z4

Note: I'm not sure I should be posting this, since there haven't been many new posts in this thread lately, and this is my first post here.

Fomalhaut
08-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Here goes House of Bloo's, part 3, in Hungarian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baIeCpQUjB4
I think the voices are really good, I especially like Wilt's one, it's so kind and sweet, and Duchess sounds more like a spoilt, elegant woman than she does in English.

But the Italian dub is still horrid. Wilt has an awfully deep voice, Eduardo sounds like a retard, Frankie has the voice of a 5-year-old and Mr. Herriman speaks in pidgin French, just to cite the most awful ones. :(

Lucky
09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
I've watched the episodes in french on the DVDs. Bloo sounds like Mickey Mouse ::)

Atrix
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
I've seen the show in spanish mostly, because here where I live they are aired like this, but I've seen the episodes in English at youtube, and the actors voices in English are really cool! :D

millaindie
08-08-2013, 05:28 AM
I first saw Foster's in Norwegian (I'm from Norway). In later years I've been able to switch languages(English, Swedish and Danish as well) and I've seen it in English. Actually I think Foster's is great both in Norwegian and English, but I do like Bloo and Herriman way better in English. Now I mostly watch Foster's in English.