PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasures

rukift
01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Come on, confess. We won't point and laugh (much) if you have the complete Wiggles series on DVD or if you're so obsessed with Chia Pets to the point where you dress yours up with frilly bows.

I think mine would have to be daytime-trash TV and super-sparkly-magical girl anime series. Something about "The mailman is your baby's dady!" certainly draws me in almost to the point of hypnosis-- as well as energetic fourth graders trying to save the world.

So come on, let's hear it.

some guy you dont know
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
as well as energetic fourth graders trying to save the world.

and by that you mean south park, right?

EDIT: sorry, i realize im wrong. i just noticed the word "save"

anyway, i really dont know the exact definition of guilty pleasures, but ill get back to you when i figure it out

Nyo
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
My gulity pleasure is Neopets and Subeta. I love those sites...

rukift
01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Neopets has a unique way of just sucking you in. They've developed it into an art, really.

pitbulllady
01-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Foster's Home is my guilty pleasure; right now it's the only animated series, and actually one of the few tv series, PERIOD, that I will make time for. It's one of those confessions that raises quite a few eyebrows, mostly among my students, who find it odd that their strict ole' teacher watches a "cartoon"!
Interestingly enough, I've found that quite a few of the STAFF I work with watch the show, and I've even met a few who are some pretty serious Wilt fan-women( I mean, one of these has kids of her own...in HIGH SCHOOL, so she's hardly a fan-GIRL, right?)like me! Still, though, when someone sees that Wilt figurine on my car dashboard, or his portrait that adorns the back of my ID tag I have to wear on school grounds, I do get this funny feeling when I answer them, knowing that I'm probably going to get that "you watch a CARTOON?" reaction.

pitbulllady

Voxxyn
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Professional wrestling.

Yes, you read that right. I'm a wrestling fan. Well, I'm not such a big follower currently, but I still get lots of enjoyment from it. Not from the admitedly insulting storylines and gimmicks the current WWE seems to love, but from the actual spectacle and action.

I can easily see why it's become such a major laughingstock in the entertainment world, and I respect anyone who dislikes it out of pure personal preference. But I find it extremely ignorant and offensive to dismiss it as being "100% fake". It's staged and it's scripted, but it's still a very physically demanding sport, and the actual wrestlers work very hard and often long schedules, and legitimately risk their bodies to entertain their fans.

some guy you dont know
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Professional wrestling.

Yes, you read that right. I'm a wrestling fan. Well, I'm not such a big follower currently, but I still get lots of enjoyment from the spectacle and action.

I can easily see why it's become such a major laughingstock in the entertainment world, and I respect anyone who dislikes it out of pure personal preference. But I find it extremely ignorant and offensive to dismiss it as being "100% fake". It's staged and it's scripted, but it's still a very physically demanding sport, and the actual wrestlers work very hard and often long schedules, and legitimately risk their bodies to entertain their fans.

yeah.. same here. im watching it right now actually. but then again, if you grow up in it, you pretty much grow into it. its not really all that fake once you think about it though, after all they go throguh and stuff, plus the emotional pain of always being away from family every day of the year almost.. but yeah, pro wrestling = guilty pleasure.

other than pro wrestling, i cant really think of anything thats a guilty pleasure for me. most stuff i dont really care about what people think of it.

Cassini90125
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I, uh, watch "The Price Is Right".

Partymember
01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
uh, this is a family friendly forum, right? Nevermind then.

Subzeroace
01-12-2007, 07:09 PM
My gulity pleasure is Neopets and Subeta. I love those sites...

Ack, thats me too... Those sites are so great :)

Mr. Marshmallow
01-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I watch the animated series "W.I.T.C.H."

on Toon Disney.

DoubleLatte
01-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Reality tv shows. I am ashamed.

Jabberwocky
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Endless hours of What Not To Wear.

Unfashionable wardrobes amuse me!

Carlaz
01-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Watching the original Japanese series Iron Chef. I find this show entertaining.

Nyo
01-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Ack, thats me too... Those sites are so great :)

What's your account on those 2 sites?

My Neopets account: neogirl4567908

My Subeta account: NyoSon

rukift
01-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Reality tv shows. I am ashamed.

Well come on, they have their moments... remember the God Warrior (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoSI_7CilnE) on trading spouses?

(Sorry, whenever someone mentions reality tv I just have to bring her up. :D;;)

taranchula
01-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Watching the original Japanese series Iron Chef. I find this show entertaining.

You and me both, Chairman Kaga was and forever will be......... The Man.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Taranchula/8321d1c2f7aaee71f1f598c62a4ed83e.gif

Allez Cuisine!

Medikor
01-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Fosters WAS a guilty pleasure of mine but know all my friends and family know how much I love it and have even been known to watch it themselves.8D
I think my real guilty pleasure now is... uh... hmmm. You know, it's hard to say. I collect transformer toys and Starwars stuff but I'm known for that. I think my guilty pleasure is 80's music.
I can't rock or hiphop or that kind of stuff and I'm a lover of orchestral music (John Williams and Nobuo Uematsu are my faves) but after my rekindled love afair of the 80's that I remember as a child has caused me to listen to a lot of 80's music. I'll always love the two songs from the transformers movie Touch and ofcourse Dare.

One Radical Dude
01-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Mainly before I began to watch Foster's, I always watched "Lilo & Stitch: The Series." Even though it's not as great as the first film, of what I saw, I enjoyed the series. What else? I'll admit that I enjoyed Weakest Link, when Anne Robinson hosted the US version for about a season or so. I happen to enjoy "Last Comic Standing" on NBC. I'll admit that I do listen to a bit of Top 40 music, though not as much as I used to. ;)

antgirl1
01-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I like Japanese songs. Even if I don't understand what the heck they're saying. :D

One Radical Dude
01-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I like Japanese songs. Even if I don't understand what the heck they're saying. :D

You don't have to understand a song to enjoy it, even though it helps (in few cases, however, it's better not knowing the lyrics of some music 8D ). I listen to quite a bit of music that I don't understand, including Japanese.

Mr. Marshmallow
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM

I do the exact same thing. I actually got a whole burnt cd full of Japanese songs, and a Japanese female artist CD that i got (I think) from a garage sale. Most of the Japanese songs I heard through fan made anime music videos.

SkittleMonkey
01-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I do the exact same thing. I actually got a whole burnt cd full of Japanese songs, and a Japanese female artist CD that i got (I think) from a garage sale. Most of the Japanese songs I heard through fan made anime music videos.

Ha! I can beat that! I've got *counts*...SIX cds of Japanese music!8D Which brings me to my first guilty pleasure, I looove this one particular group (that are broken up now and have been for a very long time...I mean a long looong time) that goes by the name of MINI MONI! Their songs were soo cute, even though the lyrics didn't make any sense!

Another guilty pleasure of mine...Well, you see, my mom babysits a two-year-old every weekday of the week. Umm, wellll, we turn it on to Playhouse Disney... Umm, yeah, I don't really wanna say anymore at the moment...:macwor:

frankie_fan
01-13-2007, 05:11 PM
My guilty pleasure... I have an undying love for Ami from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. *blushes* This doesn't mean that I like HHPAY more than Foster's, though!

I just find Ami cute, sweet and lovable. I just can't help it!

Mr. Marshmallow
01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I really REALLY liked that show and I was SO mad when it was canned :( it was just when i was finally getting into the show. I didn't like it at first, I thought it was kind of lame and unfunny and didn't really catch onto it quickly.

But after I watched it, I enjoyed it for other reasons and really started to enjoy watching those cute two anime girl rockers going on weird ass adventures. Ami was cute no doubt, but I totally crushed on Yumi, I just wish she was developed more then just "rocker girl" image.

I would have liked to see her emotional side as pansy as that must sound, I loved when they would randomly curse or scream in Japanese.

Subzeroace
01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
What's your account on those 2 sites?

My Neopets account: neogirl4567908

My Subeta account: NyoSon

Subzeroace on both, because I'm OHHH so creative XD

some guy you dont know
01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
well.. lets see.. some guilty pleasures... id say playing yugioh, but that doesnt really bother me when people ask, so.. *trys to think of a guilty pleasure* oh ok heres a few more.

i watch full house.. sad yes. btw you can laugh now.

hannah montana. i only watch it because of my sister.. at first i hated it. and i really just will deny it up and down, but i like it anymore. again, laugh now.

fosters home fan
01-13-2007, 08:31 PM
well.. lets see.. some guilty pleasures... id say playing yugioh, but that doesnt really bother me when people ask, so.. *trys to think of a guilty pleasure* oh ok heres a few more.

i watch full house.. sad yes. btw you can laugh now.

hannah montana. i only watch it because of my sister.. at first i hated it. and i really just will deny it up and down, but i like it anymore. again, laugh now.

GAh,I watch the disney channel,too but(couldn't help this)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAAAHHAHA!oK I'm done.

Dark "DC" Chaos
01-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Watching child-oriented films and TV is nothing to be ashamed of. I think it's quite nice to go back to the cartoons I watched as a child and watch them through matured eyes.
Through that, I've seen a lot of jokes I missed as a kid, which makes it all the funnier for me. (Probably because now I pay attention to what they're saying, as opposed to my child age, when I just waited for things to happen.) Example: just yesterday, I watched a video of Animalympics, something I thought was a long-gone distant memory, and seeing all the announcer impersonations (not to mention recognizing all the names in the actors' credits) made it seem like a whole new experience for me.

Oh yes, and that's my guilty pleasure. But can it really be called guilty when I don't feel much guilt from it? :bloocross:

Fomalhaut
01-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I have billions.

- Totally Spies
- Shaman King
- Hellsing manga
-> when parents are not around, of course (mostly the last one... :p)
- Missing persons case files
- Real crimes
-> for aid in my novel, but according to Mom that does not justify the like, 8 hours a day I spend browsing through them...
- Drawing
- Drawing insane fanart
- Drawing horror!
- Lingering here while I have my exams next week!!!

Medikor
01-14-2007, 06:50 AM
My guilty pleasure... I have an undying love for Ami from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. *blushes* This doesn't mean that I like HHPAY more than Foster's, though!

I just find Ami cute, sweet and lovable. I just can't help it!

That wasant my favorite show but I do catch myself watching it on YTV from time to time just to see that adorible little girl Ami. :D

Carlaz
01-14-2007, 02:14 PM
You and me both, Chairman Kaga was and forever will be......... The Man.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Taranchula/8321d1c2f7aaee71f1f598c62a4ed83e.gif

Allez Cuisine!

Very cool photo of Chairman Kaga! You have great taste in shows Taranchula! :D

kaytea
01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
mine is watching little kid shows
for example:Lazy town

Subzeroace
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
mine is watching little kid shows
for example:Lazy town

Lazy Town is awesome XD Lets all sing the pirate song :D

kageri
01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I really REALLY liked that show and I was SO mad when it was canned :( it was just when i was finally getting into the show. I didn't like it at first, I thought it was kind of lame and unfunny and didn't really catch onto it quickly.

But after I watched it, I enjoyed it for other reasons and really started to enjoy watching those cute two anime girl rockers going on weird ass adventures. Ami was cute no doubt, but I totally crushed on Yumi, I just wish she was developed more then just "rocker girl" image.

I would have liked to see her emotional side as pansy as that must sound, I loved when they would randomly curse or scream in Japanese.

It got canned? I didn't even know that, but come to think of it, I haven't seen it on in a while. That show kind of confused me because it starred two characters who are supposed to represent real people but looked nothing like them, had entirely different voices in another language, and probably had different personalities too. But I like Puffy's music so it was always nice to hear it on HHPAY.

My guilty pleasures include:

carbo-loading (SWEETS YAY)
trash TV
dorky harem anime shows
Something Awful
Japanese songs, but a bit different from what has been mentioned -- I'm talkin' songs with high-pitched singing about kittens and ice cream and cupcakes and kissing and all sorts of horribly cute things. It's not all like that, but that's a fair chunk of my Japanese music. I don't listen to as much Japanese music as I used to though.
stupid gossip magazines about celebrities I don't care about
those medical shows about freaky diseases

Mr. Marshmallow
01-14-2007, 10:08 PM
It got canned? I didn't even know that, but come to think of it, I haven't seen it on in a while. That show kind of confused me because it starred two characters who are supposed to represent real people but looked nothing like them, had entirely different voices in another language, and probably had different personalities too. But I like Puffy's music so it was always nice to hear it on HHPAY.

I don't think the show was meant to represent them but merely to be an extension of them. I think the cartoon versions of Ami and Yumi were meant to be comical exaggerations of who the real Ami and Yumi actually are, who they see themselves as. Their own view of themselves.

Cartoons allow you to do the impossible and have the freedom to do whatever you want, the way I took it was the girls wanted to make themselves look how they feel on the outside into a cartoon. A sort of comical representation of who they are personality wise, or perhaps how they see themselves.

The reason they sounded different was probably because the real Ami Yumi would be too busy doing their REAL singing career, to take the time to learn English and constantly come to Cartoon Network and do recordings for the show. It's a hard juggle that most actors rarely ever attempt.

Consider the Jackie Chan Adventures show where Jackie Chan is the voice and star of the show, but his cartoon counterpart is probably very different then who he actually is (not to mention the fact it's a magic loaded show). Again, I assume it's a means of comical exaggeration of Chan's personality.

scary_dream
01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh man.. I can't help it... I LOVE LOVE LOVE JERRY SPRINGER!!!!!!!!

There's something about that show that's just... <3 Trash-tastic <3

SkittleMonkey
01-15-2007, 05:27 AM
My guilty pleasures include:

dorky harem anime shows

Japanese songs, but a bit different from what has been mentioned -- I'm talkin' songs with high-pitched singing about kittens and ice cream and cupcakes and kissing and all sorts of horribly cute things. It's not all like that, but that's a fair chunk of my Japanese music. I don't listen to as much Japanese music as I used to.

Can't be as bad as the stuff I listen to.

Like...
This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnpEXiU-l1k

...or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_5F_5dotE

...or even this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mviMPVAbg

I even learned all the dances...:'(

kageri
01-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Can't be as bad as the stuff I listen to.

Like...
This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnpEXiU-l1k

...or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_5F_5dotE

...or even this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mviMPVAbg

I even learned all the dances...:'(

HA! You call those bad?! I'm pretty sure this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuPbe6JdIY) trumps them all. Prepare to get cavities!

Anyhoo, I never really get to see Jerry Springer but whenever one of those types of shows comes on it's like "For her entire life she has kept a horrible secret from her family. More after the commercial break!" and I'm always like "WHAT WHAT IS THE SECRET I MUST KNOW"

SkittleMonkey
01-15-2007, 01:05 PM
AHH! I LOVE it! The way she sings makes her sound inhuman, though. *suki suki suki, suki suki suki XD*

frankie_fan
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Another guilty pleasure of mine...

I'm a Tinker Bell fan (yes, the Disney character herself!)

kaytea
01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Oh man.. I can't help it... I LOVE LOVE LOVE JERRY SPRINGER!!!!!!!!

There's something about that show that's just... <3 Trash-tastic <3
lol same here
I watch it everyday at 5:00 am XDD

Nyo
01-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Another guilty pleasure of mine is watching American Idol. There's something oddly amusing about Simon Cowell making fun of the bad singers. O_o;

Mr. Marshmallow
01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Guilty pleasure of mine, and this is one I RARELY have told anyone:

I listen to the Pokemon TV soundtrack CDs, and their movie soundtracks.

Cassini90125
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better I recently bought the soundtrack to the Sailor Moon series, and for the past week the opening theme has been slowly ripping my eardrums to shreds. ;D

Medikor
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Guilty pleasure of mine, and this is one I RARELY have told anyone:

I listen to the Pokemon TV soundtrack CDs, and their movie soundtracks.

Nothing wrong with that. The original themesong was magic! And I still find myself listening to the original Power Rangers themesong.8D

Mr. Marshmallow
01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
If it makes you feel any better I recently bought the soundtrack to the Sailor Moon series, and for the past week the opening theme has been slowly ripping my eardrums to shreds. ;D

Appreciate it but to be honest, there's much more to it then just the theme song. In fact the theme song is the LAST reason why i listen to them. A lot of the tracks on those CD's are very inspirational and have encouraging lyrics.

Sometimes I've been in such rotten situations, they all go away when I listen to one of those CD's (4 total, that i have anyway). They are very uplifting music and if you ever feel down or doubt yourself, I suggest listening to one of these CDs.

It's amazing how much these cds have helped me through out most of my life. I also admit being "guilty" to seeing Pokemon Live! when it came around to theaters. I only got a few pictures but that was an AMAZING show.

some guy you dont know
01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Nothing wrong with that. The original themesong was magic! And I still find myself listening to the original Power Rangers themesong.8D

i see myself constantly watching the show. but thats not really a guilty pleasue, because i dont care if anyone knows(otherwise, id have a diffrent avatar)

hmm.. another guilty pleasure? cant think of any right now.. oh yeah, i still read dr suess books(btw, the only books i read besides manga too.)

Cassini90125
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Years ago I saw Scooby-Doo live on stage. All the silliness you'd expect, but the in-person aspect gave it a whole new dimension, particularly the part of the show where the characters left the stage and wandered into one of the audience sections. My section. I was estatic. :)

rukift
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
It's amazing how much these cds have helped me through out most of my life. I also admit being "guilty" to seeing Pokemon Live! when it came around to theaters. I only got a few pictures but that was an AMAZING show.

I saw that too, actually. I went with a friend and made sure to stock up on pokemon lightsabers at the end. :B

Mr. Marshmallow
01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I really wished they would have released a DVD of that Pokemon Live show, or at least a musical soundtrack CD. I really enjoyed that show and I treasure the few pictures I got of it before they told me I couldn't take anymore.

The flash distracts the actors and all that jazz. But kid or adult, I loved that show and it's one of the few rare like stage shows I was amazed by, even if it was intended for kids. Can you imagine if Foster's got one like that?

Medikor
01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Appreciate it but to be honest, there's much more to it then just the theme song. In fact the theme song is the LAST reason why i listen to them. A lot of the tracks on those CD's are very inspirational and have encouraging lyrics.

Sometimes I've been in such rotten situations, they all go away when I listen to one of those CD's (4 total, that i have anyway). They are very uplifting music and if you ever feel down or doubt yourself, I suggest listening to one of these CDs.

That's very true. One song that almost broght me to tears was the song at the end of Jirachi Wismaker (the one that was half english and half japanese and was about how you don't need to wish on a shooting star to make wishes come true). That is another guilty pleasuer of mine. I would watch that movie every time I found it on tv so I could listen to that song!:D

rukift
01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I really wished they would have released a DVD of that Pokemon Live show, or at least a musical soundtrack CD. I really enjoyed that show and I treasure the few pictures I got of it before they told me I couldn't take anymore.

The flash distracts the actors and all that jazz. But kid or adult, I loved that show and it's one of the few rare like stage shows I was amazed by, even if it was intended for kids. Can you imagine if Foster's got one like that?

Actually, I know of a website that has all of the songs up for download. When I find it, I'll note you. 8)

Mr. Marshmallow
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Actually, I know of a website that has all of the songs up for download. When I find it, I'll note you. 8)

Please do I would really, really, REALLY appreciate it. And in regards to what you said Medikor about Jirachi, I give my support and love to that movie because it really was one of the better Pokemon movies they have released as of lately.

Most of the newer ones have been seriously lacking the enjoyment and flare of the original Pokemon movies. My favorite being the masterful and incredibly eye dazzling 2nd movie "Pokemon 2000", I also loved "Pokemon Heroes" "Pokemon's First movie" and "Jirachi".

I was half pleased half disappointed with "Pokemon 4ever" and I HATED "Destiny Deoxys", I have yet to see the 8th one and I hope it's an improvement. Pokemon movies are a guilty pleasure of mine as well, I gave up trying to track the main series and still enjoy watching their anime films.

Carlaz
01-17-2007, 05:21 AM
This is a simple one ~ but I love to chewing bubble gum.

InsaneFan
01-17-2007, 07:07 AM
*wanders in* Man, you'd be surprised how many threads I have never been to!

I don't have any guilty pleasures. I am in no way ashamed of the things I like. Well, watching anime shows was my GP for a while...But then I remembered "screw it, it doesn't matter what other people think!" Heh.

Medikor
01-17-2007, 07:15 AM
I was half pleased half disappointed with "Pokemon 4ever" and I HATED "Destiny Deoxys", I have yet to see the 8th one and I hope it's an improvement. Pokemon movies are a guilty pleasure of mine as well, I gave up trying to track the main series and still enjoy watching their anime films.

I havant really watched many of the movies. I seen the first two in theaters and the one with Jirachie and the one with Latias and Latios on the movie network. Pokemon always has this cute charm to it.:D
And this leads me to another guilty pleasure of mine. I am a May fan. Many fans dislike her and want Misty back in the show but I watch the show off and on and I have to say that I really like her more than Misty. She brought a refreshing change with her since she's new to Pokemon. I rarely let people know about this because Misty fans will eat me alive!8D

Mr. Marshmallow
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm one of em. I LOOOOVE Misty and I was super pissed she left, I have been a long time supporter of the whole Ash/Misty love thing (which you have to be blind not to notice at this point). Jirachi made a great reference to this love thing, and "Pokemon 2000" is probably the biggest flag alert on this.

Latios and Latias were in "Pokemon heroes" which is VERY similar to "2000", actually, there's even a direct reference to that movie in the end credits, when the Rocket girls, Annie and Oakley are looking through a book in jail.

I don't mind May, she's all right, I wish they kept her Pokemon phobia a bit longer but Misty's still the girl for me. Here's another guilty pleasure of mine:

I'm a BIG BIG BIG Buffy the vampire slayer fan.

Howard
01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I love the Wizard of Oz stories (the original L. Frank Baum ones). I have ALL fourteen of the ones he wrote, and they never grow old!:frankiesmile:

HappyFoppy
01-21-2007, 05:59 AM
- Listening to cute Pop'n Music songs (read: Japanese songs that are like lalalalala happy happy all the time)

- Watching TV shopping stuff

- Likeing Pokémon

- Being afraid of the dark :D

- Being addicted to eating candy.

YuckieDuck
01-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I like to watch old music video countdowns I taped in 1997 and 1998. They're still awesome! When I was five, I could remember which videos they showed and I used to talk to my relatives about them. 8D

kageri
01-21-2007, 11:53 AM
- Being afraid of the dark :D

Wow. I didn't know a fear was a pleasure. You learn something new every day!

HappyFoppy
01-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow. I didn't know a fear was a pleasure. You learn something new every day!

Snap, right. It ain't a pleasure. YAY I'm AFRAAAAIIID! :D

SkittleMonkey
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I enjoy watching Lazytown, Charlie and Lola, and Johnny and the Sprites...

Nathander
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
The fact that I enjoy Shoujo Manga/Anime. For those who don't bury themselves in Japanese Nerd Jargon, Shoujo is the term used for manga and anime aimed at girls. And I don't mean Shoujo that has action elements in it either, necessarily, like Fushiga Yuga; I mean ROMANCES and such like Pita-Ten. I'm a helpless romantic at heart, really....

That, and I love the Child's Play series of movies. You know, with the killer doll Chucky? I know a lot of people find the character hokey, but....jeez, he's easily my favorite horror icon, with Freddy of course being a close second.

scary_dream
01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Chucky isn't my favorite horror icon, but I LOVE the Child's Play movies.

I know some people think it's gross, but another guilty pleasure of mine is..... peeling sunburns. It's just so satisfying to do it!

Howard
01-23-2007, 01:02 PM
While I enjoy reading my fair share of fiction books - I prefer non-fiction (History) that covers early Americana, military, ancient civilizations, and Civil War - boring huh?:frankiesmile:

some guy you dont know
01-23-2007, 01:45 PM
The fact that I enjoy Shoujo Manga/Anime. For those who don't bury themselves in Japanese Nerd Jargon, Shoujo is the term used for manga and anime aimed at girls. And I don't mean Shoujo that has action elements in it either, necessarily, like Fushiga Yuga; I mean ROMANCES and such like Pita-Ten. I'm a helpless romantic at heart, really....

i always thought that was spelled shojo, not shoujo. oh well, learn something new everyday..

mostly another one would be probably just stupid. i love just sitting in the rain. cant really explain it, so yeah.

Wendi
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I personally enjoy random science books. When I was little I always got books on asrtonomy and chemistry. Now i like reading my sister's biology book, if its there.

AHHH...

Carlaz
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I've always enjoyed reading fantasy fiction (knights, dragons, damsels). :herriman:

One Radical Dude
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
That, and I love the Child's Play series of movies. You know, with the killer doll Chucky? I know a lot of people find the character hokey, but....jeez, he's easily my favorite horror icon, with Freddy of course being a close second.

I remember watching the first three films of the Child's Play series, which were pretty cool.

Jabberwocky
01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
My friend's brother scared the crap out of us when I slept over once, he had a Chucky doll and stuck it between us and then dumped water and flour all over us and I woke up like ahh water AHHHH CHUCKY.

Voxxyn
01-24-2007, 01:47 AM
I once remember going to a in-mall restaurant and seeing a Chucky doll displayed alongside the menu, for absolutely no reason other than the restaurant workers being huge fans of him. Pretty weird and cool.

SkittleMonkey
01-24-2007, 04:15 AM
I remember seeing this truck that actually had a Chucky doll strapped standing up to the top of it. It scared the crap out of me until I figured out what it was...

Medikor
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
While I enjoy reading my fair share of fiction books - I prefer non-fiction (History) that covers early Americana, military, ancient civilizations, and Civil War - boring huh?:frankiesmile:

Not weird or boring at all, Ducky. I'm a big history buff and I can't get enough of the majore battles our race has waged. I even collect arms and armour!:D

Partymember
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
crappy old sci-fi books out-of-print since the 70's. Maza of the Moon, the Kane series. Anything with a Frazetta cover :)

Howard
01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Not weird or boring at all, Ducky. I'm a big history buff and I can't get enough of the majore battles our race has waged. I even collect arms and armour!:D

I treasure history. Sometimes I wonder if I got my degree in history, instead of Broadcast Journalism with a minor in History.:frankiesmile:

derangedperson
01-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Hair metal and a good ballad--"You Sang To Me" especially.

Nathander
01-31-2007, 06:03 AM
I love bad movies. I mean, just cheesy, over the top, poorly acted movies. I adore them, and I blame it on MST3k, which I watched since my childhood, for instilling a love of bad movies (or, at least, a love to make fun of and watch them) into me.

Curse you, Mike Nelson and Joel Hodgson! Curse you!

some guy you dont know
01-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I love bad movies. I mean, just cheesy, over the top, poorly acted movies. I adore them, and I blame it on MST3k, which I watched since my childhood, for instilling a love of bad movies (or, at least, a love to make fun of and watch them) into me.

Curse you, Mike Nelson and Joel Hodgson! Curse you!

ah yes, MST3k. i think i saw that once, wish i saw it more often. why doesnt anyone show it anymore? ah well, im off to youtube.

before i go though, i admit to enjoying some pieces of liteture, such as "parrot in the oven." which is a GP because i constantly deny enjoying any kind of reading.

evilhopscotch
01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Two Words:

MUSTARD SANDWICHES.

Mr. Marshmallow
02-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a food like that, but it's less logical and down right stupid but DAMMIT, I still find it tasty!

It's a "Chip sandwich". I basically take nacho chips and stick them between two slices of bread and eat it. It leaves the weirdest taste in your mouth, and yet I love doing it. I came up with this idea when I was kid.

The idea came from "All dogs to go heaven", the movie.

Nathander
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I was actually about to ask why you specified that "All Dogs Go To Heaven" was a movie, until I remembered there was a short-lived cartoon series made based around it....

Mr. Marshmallow
02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah that's why I put movie in there. It really was a stupid thing of me to do, even the idea behind it was stupid. There's a scene in the movie where Carface (the villain) has his sidekick, Killer, eat a big sandwich full of his used cigars.

When Killer ate it, it sounded like crunching and like he was eating chips or something. So being the genius I was at a child's age 8D stupidly imitated it and tried it out to duplicate the sound. It worked and it tasted very good actually.

And yes I know that probably sounds completely insane.

evilhopscotch
02-01-2007, 08:32 PM
nah, I've done that before. Tis quite good.

Spaghetti sandwiches are a more common one, and very yum.

But my sister eats her milkshakes with her french fries. She's gross.

SkittleMonkey
02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I can beat that! I put mayonnaise in my mashed potatos! Okay, I admit that's not all that weird... It IS tasty, though.

some guy you dont know
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
i eat chips with milkshakes. or ice cream. better than dip, mind you

Partymember
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
.........so ashamed to say this, i'm a rocker, future biker, gun-loving manly outdoor type, yet...

hello kitty

swear to God, i LOVE Hello Kitty!

Bride_Of_Lister
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
...Boy band music, Earl Grey tea with milk, re-reading really good fan fiction for the hundredth time, bad cyber/bio-punk novels, playing with action figures and reading Loveless.

As well as all those things a year 12 student shouldn't be doing like having a social life and spending time online. T_T

Mr. Marshmallow
02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
...Boy band music

I was just about to say the same thing, although mine is more towards pop love songs. Mostly emotional stuff from Christina Aguilera, Faith Hill, and occasionally Britney Spears.

I know it sounds super pansy of me but I also have a boy band CD, though there relatively unknown and I admit I am glad I bought the CD. From a band called Westlife.

Bride_Of_Lister
02-06-2007, 02:18 AM
I know it sounds super pansy of me but I also have a boy band CD, though there relatively unknown and I admit I am glad I bought the CD. From a band called Westlife.

They're rather well known outside the U.S, they did "My Love" right?

Carlaz
02-06-2007, 04:50 AM
.........so ashamed to say this, i'm a rocker, future biker, gun-loving manly outdoor type, yet...

hello kitty

swear to God, i LOVE Hello Kitty!

Partymember ~ I like this about you. You're not afraid to be yourself! Very cool! 8-)

I must admit ~ I still like "Hello Kitty" & "Hamtaro". :-[

GrimTheLost
02-06-2007, 06:10 AM
I have a strange food: Pepperoni pizza with Chocolate pudding on top. MMM-MM tasty!
And I like Marylin Manson's music.

Medikor
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Now that I think about it, I'd say that one of my guilty pleasures was watching the New Kids on the Block cartoon with my big sister way back.8D

Mr. Marshmallow
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
They're rather well known outside the U.S, they did "My Love" right?

Not sure, I only have one album of theirs and wasn't aware until recently that they made more. I had no idea if they were big outside go the US though.

Partymember
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Partymember ~ I like this about you. You're not afraid to be yourself! Very cool! 8-)

I must admit ~ I still like "Hello Kitty" & "Hamtaro". :-[

yeah, i'm also a Queen and The Birdcage fan. not sure what THAT means, but...

Voxxyn
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Wikipedia. I visit it nearly everyday.

I know that it's obviously not a truly reliable site, and that it's cool to hate it(::)), but it's still a fun site to visit.

koosie
02-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm totally addicted to the new version of Battlestar Galactica. Anyone else watch this? Colonel Tigh (?) is the best character ever!

I also love the song 'Oh Laurie' by the dreadful 70s duo The Alessi Brothers. I swear the first memory I have is hearing this song and wondering who the hell is singing this song I shouldn't like but totally do?

Partymember
02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm totally addicted to the new version of Battlestar Galactica. Anyone else watch this? Colonel Tigh (?) is the best character ever!

i haven't really watched the new one, but the old one is great. I have a soft spot (read: i absolutley LOVE) Men Without Hat's Safety Dance

We can dance if we want to, you know.

koosie
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
i haven't really watched the new one, but the old one is great. I have a soft spot (read: i absolutley LOVE) Men Without Hat's Safety Dance

Nothing to feel guilty about there! A powerful song! The guy singing has a very intimidating voice like those from Laibach and Rammstein.

frankie_fan
02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Not sure, I only have one album of theirs and wasn't aware until recently that they made more. I had no idea if they were big outside go the US though.

They did 'You Raise Me Up', 'I Lay My Love On You', 'If I Let You Go' and 'Flying Without Wings' (from Pokemon the Movie 2000, another guilty pleasure of mine! :bloogrin )

kageri
02-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Wikipedia. I visit it nearly everyday.

I know that it's obviously not a truly reliable site, and that it's cool to hate it(::)), but it's still a fun site to visit.

I love Wikipedia! I could spend hours on there just looking up random stuff. It's quite enlightening.

scary_dream
02-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Hah I love Wikipedia. Yeah, it IS really inaccurate sometimes, but it's got such obscure stuff on there. It's a good place to find pictures... it's where I found my Wilt picture for my hoodie!

I freaking love..... *gulp* Duran Duran. And most new wave music.

There I said it.

Sparky
02-17-2007, 09:16 PM

I *love* Men Without Hats. I transferred my Pop Goes the World cassette to my computer, but I lost my copy of Collection. :( (That's the one with Safety Dance on it.) But at least I have Pop Goes the World on my iPod now. For my money it doesn't get much better than "Moonbeam."

Partymember
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
hehe, i haven't heard their other stuff, but Safety Dance is great.

Sparky
02-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Actually, they now have "My Hats Collection" on iTunes, they didn't last year when I was looking for Collection. It's the same songs, on a new release. So I'm gonna buy it! :terrsmile:

kaytea
02-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Beaning babys and cutesy wootsy plushies

emperor26
02-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I watch Inside Edition, and sometimes, I watch Unwrapped on the Food Network channel.

Voxxyn
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Food Network's a great channel, IMO. :D

jekylljuice
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I tell you, pleasures don?t get much guiltier than Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers. I wouldn?t have the guts to play them too loudly whenever my friends or family are nearby, but whenever I?m home alone I totally crank up the volume and leap around my living room to them like a frenzied cat. I live in eternal fear that one of the floorboards will eventually give way, but I?ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Jetbaby
03-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Three cheers for New Wave music! I was a huge Duran Duran fan in the eighties.

Other guilty pleasures include:

"All-Star" by Smash Mouth
talking or singing in 'Engrish'; in other words, broken english with a Japanese accent. It's impossible for me to sing Shonen Knife's "Buttercup (I'm a Super Girl)" without raising my voice an octave.
My biggest 'secret shame' would be that I'm a member of an American voice-actor's fan group. I'm far too old to be nursing crushes on pseudo-celebrities.

Pawbah
03-15-2007, 04:04 PM
hmmmm.... so many too pick from.
For right now I'll say Digimon Fanfiction. I didn't even see the whole series, but there are times that I become obsessed with Digimon fanfiction. :cheese:

.~ART IS A BANG~.
03-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Wow Wow Wubzee :[

scary_dream
03-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Don't feel bad Jetbaby, I still have "Hungry Like the Wolf" on my iPod! Freakin' love Duran Duran...

A guilty pleasure of mine (besides the wondrous Jerry Springer) is dancing. I...dance...EVERYWHERE. Music or not, I dance all the time. And they're always REALLY stupid dances that I make up on the spot.

What of course, when nobody's looking... hehe.

Another guilty pleasure is that I cosplayed a computer game character once, and I still put the costume on just for fun because even though I've lost weight and it doesn't fit that well anymore, it's so freaking cute and it's so much fun to wear! I can't bear to part with it. Hah, I don't go anywhere though... I wait until nobody's home, then I just hang out in my house until I decide that I'm officially TOO dorky for words, then I change back into my normal clothes. 8D

What can I say? I'm almost 20, but deep down inside I'm still a little girl who likes to play dress-up.

Partymember
03-19-2007, 10:59 AM
deep down inside I'm still a little girl who likes to play dress-up.

me too! I mean...aww crud:o

beau
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't believe in the concept of guilty pleasures.

I mean, you like something. You should never feel guilty about liking anything.

That said, I'm the type of guy who likes punk, hard rock and metal... yet I turn on the occasional 80's new wave song.

Pawbah
03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
I thought of another one: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Kale
03-21-2007, 06:35 AM

They were really big here in the UK a few years back.
I'm ashamed to admit I have their first 5 albums. -hides-

scary_dream
03-21-2007, 09:34 AM

Pfft, that's a pleasure of mine, but it's not a guilty one 8D I'm such a nerd. I'm going to see the movie probably on Friday!!! I'm excited!!!

Pawbah
03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Pfft, that's a pleasure of mine, but it's not a guilty one 8D I'm such a nerd. I'm going to see the movie probably on Friday!!! I'm excited!!!

Yeah, I just don't tell too many people. But I saw the midnight showing. It was fun!

One Radical Dude
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Oh, come on! 8D Who wasn't into TMNT? I remember having TMNT PJs. :P

Pawbah
03-23-2007, 09:02 PM

OK yeah, everyone loved TMNT. I didn't ever have the PJs, but I never missed the old show when it was on. It's just not something I tell people. I finally told my brother that I watched the 2003 cartoon too and nobody else knows that... well except for the people on this forum now.

scary_dream
03-23-2007, 10:55 PM

AWWW little ORD in TMNT pjs! 8D

I loved TMNT when I was little, but I never had any merchandise except for the videos. I had a REALLY cool Ghostbusters sleeping bag (you know the kind... the sleeping bag that EVERY kid had with the red inside that snagged on EVERYTHING). It was of the cool Ghostbusters cartoon, too! The one with Lorenzo Music as Venkman! I was so angry to hear my mom lost the thing. I'd love to have it now just for memorabilia.

I was also into Transformers, as well. I rented the Transformers movie every single time I went to the video store and never got tired of it. My grandma would always be like "Kiki, don't you want something different this time?!" and of course I'd always say "NO!! I WANT TRANSFORMERS!!!"

Anyhow.... back on topic. Another guilty pleasure of mine is attention. Not negative attention or pity, but just attention in general. I'm always loving to sing happy birthday to customers at work, and in high school I was in every single production. I'm kind of a ham lol but not in a bad way... like, I don't fake illnesses or do anything pathetic for attention, but if a time comes in which I'm required to perform in front of an audience, I'm there! No shyness here.

One Radical Dude
03-24-2007, 03:04 AM
AWWW little ORD in TMNT pjs! 8D

Yep. :cheesegrin:

In around 1990, I was taped lip syncing to one of the "Coming Out of Their Shells" (some sort of concert deal with the TMNT, Pizza Hut sponsored this, I believe) songs (click here (http://www.mikeystmnt.com/media/sounds/songs/coots/) to listen to them, if you wish 8D ). I was lip syncing to the "sing" file (or "Sing About It").

Enjoy. 8D

frankie_fan
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
I have to explain this new guilty pleasure:

In Australia, the Art Gallery of NSW is currently having an exhibition on the artwork of Osamu Tezuka. One of the artworks there is on a classic shojo manga/anime called Princess Knight (aka Choppy and the Princess). It looks great, and I've heard that Right Stuf International is trying to release the English version of this onto DVD. If it ever comes out in Australia, this will be my new guilty pleasure: Princess Knight!

Hope that made sense!

Sparky
03-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I loved TMNT when I was little, but I never had any merchandise except for the videos. I had a REALLY cool Ghostbusters sleeping bag (you know the kind... the sleeping bag that EVERY kid had with the red inside that snagged on EVERYTHING). It was of the cool Ghostbusters cartoon, too! The one with Lorenzo Music as Venkman! I was so angry to hear my mom lost the thing. I'd love to have it now just for memorabilia.

Lol I had a Garfield sleeping bag. Used it for all my sleepovers. It's actually still in my dad's garage, but I'm sure its super-nasty now. :P

Pawbah
03-31-2007, 02:21 AM
I had a My Little Pony Sleeping bag, I was so upset when I out grew it. I think my mom gave my sleeping bag away... Getting older sucks. I'll never grow up though! Never! :bloocross:

Voxxyn
03-31-2007, 03:23 AM
I've been a fan of Celebrity Deathmatch almost since it's original premiere. Yes, you read that right. As a child, my favorite cartoons were Looney Tunes, The Simpsons and CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH.

To me, that's a guilty pleasure in the truest sense. Putting aside the fact that I had no business watching and thoroughly enjoying such a show at that age, it has a lot of things that I currently despise in mainstream media entertainment; graphic violence, sleaziness, crude humor, stereotypes et al(not to mention that I hate MTV). But I watched it anyway, watching every new episode up until it's original end in 2002. I did lose interest on the show afterwards, and have only sporadically caught the new episodes airing on MTV2. But from what I've seen, despite the change in voice actors and my current lack of tolerance for shows of such type, I STILL GET A HUGE KICK OUT OF IT.

Admittedly, the novelty of real-life celebrities doesn't appeal to me now and the violence is gross instead of entertaining. I watch it mainly for the witty dialogue and the hilarious Nick Diamond. :scaryberry:

Partymember
03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
who did Jerry Garcia fight, was it Hendrix or Elvis? One of them reffed i think.

good show!

Bloonan
04-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Well, to tell the absolute truth...
I LIKE WATCHING ARTHUR!!!!!!
Alas, it's true. It's really a good show! :D

Mr. Marshmallow
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Okay, this is probably the most incredibly, maniacally, insanely, beyond all comprehendable guilty pleasure I have ever had and probably WILL ever have. It really doesn't get anymore embarassing then this.

I watch....the Care bears. I loved the cartoon series, and I loved the movies, I'm even re-watching old episodes of it through a channel on Youtube that has LOTS of old Care bear toons.

:-[ This is as embarassing as it gets.

GrimTheLost
05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I am obsessed with musicals. I love them... except for Cats, Phantom, and Les Mis (not my cup of tea). I especially love West Side Story. It fills me with joy.

Vampyre
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Hmm... Lets see... Oh yes, I am currently sat in front of the TV, watching 'Nick Jr Classics' which is a collection of old, normally stop motion, little kid's TV shows that comes on after 8:00 PM, including things such as Bagpuss, the Clangers and The Wombles. Some of my favourite shows when I was little and I still haven't grown out of them, I think it's quite obvious since I have all thriten Bagpuss episodes on DVD.

koosie
05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Hmm... Lets see... Oh yes, I am currently sat in front of the TV, watching 'Nick Jr Classics' which is a collection of old, normally stop motion, little kid's TV shows that comes on after 8:00 PM, including things such as Bagpuss, the Clangers and The Wombles. Some of my favourite shows when I was little and I still haven't grown out of them, I think it's quite obvious since I have all thriten Bagpuss episodes on DVD.

I was raised on those shows. Especially Bagpuss which is beautifully animated. I like to think they're all still asleep somewhere and one day I'll be in some sleepy little town in the Chilterns or something and there'll be this odd little shop...

Why don't they show Chorlton and the Wheelies again? That was really brilliantly made too.

Okay, this is probably the most incredibly, maniacally, insanely, beyond all comprehendable guilty pleasure I have ever had and probably WILL ever have. It really doesn't get anymore embarassing then this.

I watch....the Care bears. I loved the cartoon series, and I loved the movies, I'm even re-watching old episodes of it through a channel on Youtube that has LOTS of old Care bear toons.

:-[ This is as embarassing as it gets.

The Care Bears were ok. Not the very worst thing in the world. Just not very gritty, that's all. Personally I prefered them to those ewok vermin. Bad enough they were in the film let alone their own horrid cartoon show. I suppose none of you would remember The Wisdom Of The Gnomes? It was a euro-toon I think. Their 'wisdom' really didn't stand up to scrutiny.

My Guilty Pleasure is the Bee-Gees. I don't own any but I'm always happy to hear them on the radio, sadly.

Pawbah
05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
I thought of my ultimate embarrassing guilty pleasure, though it's been a while since I watched it... I used to baby sit this little baby and sometimes TV was the only thing that would get him to shut up. I spent the majority of my time watching Sesame Street and Blue's Clues.... and I actually enjoyed myself. I would have long conversations about Blue's clues with my friend and I even looked it up online. After I was no longer babysitting that baby anymore I still found myself turning to Blue's Clues... I don't really do that anymore, but sometimes when nothing else is on.... ;D

vinny
05-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I thought of my ultimate embarrassing guilty pleasure, though it's been a while since I watched it... I used to baby sit this little baby and sometimes TV was the only thing that would get him to shut up. I spent the majority of my time watching Sesame Street and Blue's Clues.... and I actually enjoyed myself. I would have long conversations about Blue's clues with my friend and I even looked it up online. After I was no longer babysitting that baby anymore I still found myself turning to Blue's Clues... I don't really do that anymore, but sometimes when nothing else is on.... ;D

thats how i came on to fosters lol. but a few days ago i was watching my brothers and this kid show called lazytown came on. that is a cool show, watch it. same with peewee's play house....*love*

jekylljuice
05-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Wanna know one of my biggest guilty pleasures? I actually get real kicks out of spending hours flicking through my trusty dictionary and seeing what fresh words, phrases and definitions I can discover. I may be an English student, but this is geekery on a whole different level. Bless you, Samuel Johnson.

As for the Care Bears, the Care Bears Movie was probably my favourite film as a nipper (not that my film-viewing experiences had been particularly varied at the time). Every now and then I do like to dig out my old videotape and relive those memories, and I can actually find myself getting sucked in by their facile but still very warm-hearted message, even if the endless animation errors are a tad jarring.

I wasn’t particularly thrilled by the Care Bears’ early 00s revival though. Remember how they changed Share Bear’s emblem from a milkshake with two straws to a couple of lollipops? So great was my bewilderment that I was compelled to visit the official website in search of an explanation, and they actually had one embedded in their FAQ. Something about how they wanted to update (read: sanitise) certain emblems for the contemporary age and, given that people these days tend to be more health-conscious, they felt that two pieces of candy set a healthier dietary example than the milkshake. Erm, did I miss something there? :terrconf:

Ditchy McAbandonpants
05-05-2007, 03:19 AM
jekylljuice: Ah, but you're a lady, are you not? For a girl to get a nostalgic kick from Care Bears doesn't have quite the same stigma attached to it as it would for a rough-and-ready man's man like Mr Marshmallow; we men supposed to like things like cars, beer, wenches and killing. ;D

vinny, Bloonan: Right on! :bloocross: Arthur's a quality show, and as for LazyTown, I used to rely on that to wake me up in the morning; something about the shockingly bright colours, ludicrously peppy music and vaguely disturbing puppets really kick-starts a sleepy brain, you know? We're not alone, either; LazyTown has a surprisingly large following amongst UK students, often involving the deification of Robbie Rotten. I can understand why, too; his "You Are A Pirate" song is amongst the greatest artistic achievements of the early 21st Century. 8-)

Personally, there aren't that many things that I would say I felt guilty or embarassed about liking, but if I had to pick something out, I'd have to say Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z, the PPG anime, for one simple reason; I really don't think it's very good. It's twee, silly and largely incoherent, with the vast majority of the plots adhering to a frankly stupid formula (an everyday inanimate object comes to life and attempts to take revenge against humans for transgressions committed against it when it was still inanimate, which forces the girls to abandon whatever banal activity they were participating in in order to reason with it ???), and with unforgivably lazy action sequences that almost always rely on the standard "recycled footage of the characters attacking cutting to a shot of the baddie flying into the air and becoming a star" anime cop-out.:frankiemad: Most of all, unlike the original PPG, it's a show clearly that's designed exclusively to entertain little girls (which introduces the "wenches and killing" dilemma again :P).

Why do I even watch it, then? I could say it's because the art and animation is sometimes nice; that the girls themselves remain pretty likeable characters (Blossom in particular is an amusingly hyperactive nutcase); that sometimes the plotting and scripting is so ludicrous that it becomes entertaining again just for its bizarreness; or that the opening and closing sequences usually serve up some damn catchy J-Pop :P. But though those are contributing factors, I know they're not the real reason; the real reason is that I'm such a raving mad PPG fanboy that I feel compelled to watch anything with that relates to them regardless of quality, which also explains why I watched the Craig McCracken-less and therefore largely poor final two seasons of the original PPG. This is what keeps me watching despite all the evidence suggesting I shouldn't, and it's what makes it so gratifying when the show inexplicably produces freak episodes (almost always when the plot centres around Him, strangely) when the plotting suddenly becomes intelligible, the jokes start to work, the pacing clicks and the fight scenes are actually animated. :bloocross: We've had about seven or eight of those in the 36 episodes I've seen so far; I'm hoping we get a few more in the sixteen that remain...

jekylljuice
05-05-2007, 06:59 AM
jekylljuice: Ah, but you're a lady, are you not? For a girl to get a nostalgic kick from Care Bears doesn't have quite the same stigma attached to it as it would for a rough-and-ready man's man like Mr Marshmallow; we men supposed to like things like cars, beer, wenches and killing. ;D

I suppose that’s one the advantages of being female. We're allowed to get away with fluff-indulgence a lot more readily. :berry:

Apropos Share Bear, Wikipedia gives a slightly different account of the reasons for her makeover to the official site:

"Originally, Share Bear's symbol was a heart-sprinkled sundae with two straws. In 2004, it was changed to two heart-shaped lollipops, on the grounds that sharing milkshakes can spread germs, according to present-day distributors Play Along Toys. She is lavender in color."

Doesn't that just fill you with the urge to go out there and start punching something?

I guess the Care Bears didn’t manage to install quite as much love and kindness in me as they'd hoped after all. Well, sometimes you’ve got to do things the Professor Coldheart way. :blooevil:

Cassini90125
05-05-2007, 07:03 AM
"Originally, Share Bear's symbol was a heart-sprinkled sundae with two straws. In 2004, it was changed to two heart-shaped lollipops, on the grounds that sharing milkshakes can spread germs, according to present-day distributors Play Along Toys. She is lavender in color."

Doesn't that just fill you with the urge to go out there and start punching something?

It does. That is absolutely ridiculous. >:(

Partymember
05-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Yeah we are!

I just got back from climbing a mountain. My buddy and i got totally lost for a few hours, but i found a stream which emptied into a pond, which we hugged until we found the trail again. Woodscraft baby.

Mr. Marshmallow
05-05-2007, 03:18 PM
A rough and ready man, gee thanks....I think :terrconf:. Anyways, I never watched the Care Bears for their messages, I know that's what they were designed for but I enjoyed them as a show and as characters more so then what they stood for.

Everything they said was stuff I already knew, and I just really fell in love watching the little fur balls interact with each other. My favorite was easily Brightheart raccoon. I loved the movies and even though I only own the 2nd one (which is REALLY good), the first one is an impressie film none the less.

Even if you hate the Care bears, I cannot ignore the fact they did such a wonderful job on their first movie. The cartoon show really got my attention when they introduced Beastly, Shrieky, and No Heart. Because by then, it was more then just making cutesy messages, it was about fighting evil.

They had villains and villains who STAYED villains which is rare to find in a Care bears series since most end up turning good. But manly man or not, I still always enjoy Care bears and will hold a special spot for em inside me.

Partymember
05-05-2007, 04:57 PM
A rough and ready man, gee thanks....I think :terrconf:.

the only way to be.

jekylljuice
05-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Everything they said was stuff I already knew, and I just really fell in love watching the little fur balls interact with each other. My favorite was easily Brightheart raccoon. I loved the movies and even though I only own the 2nd one (which is REALLY good), the first one is an impressie film none the less.

Heh, I bet you always joined in with the audience participation bit toward the end of the second film. :bloocross:

Don't worry, I won't laugh. I did exactly the same. In fact, I think I even remember crying during the scene in question, an uneasy little fact which will do my street-credit no favours, female or no. :-[

Mr. Marshmallow
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Heh, I bet you always joined in with the audience participation bit toward the end of the second film. :bloocross:

Don't worry, I won't laugh. I did exactly the same. In fact, I think I even remember crying during the scene in question, an uneasy little fact which will do my street-credit no favours, female or no. :-[

In the beginning i did chant, being older now I admittingly don't chant (thought kudos to you for remembering that exact scene :D). However the scene has never lost it's affect on me never the less.

Their music was actually very catchy, especially that "I care for you" baby/clean up segment with the 2 kids taking care of all the cubs.

Cassini90125
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Gulity pleasures?

i will only mention this once. If asked about it later, i will deny ever saying it:

Duran Duran

Too late; I made a screencap. :blooevil:

bloonuggets
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Feel free to LOL on this one.

Teletubbies.

Sparky
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I lived in Los Angeles when Teletubbies first came out. The ad campaign involved a GIGANTIC mural of the characters on the side of a skyscraper in LA, with something like "Coming Soon" on it. People had no clue what the hell it was for. The creatures seemed to be aliens but when it turned out to be some toddler show a lot of people were annoyed, lol. Guess they were expecting an action movie or something.

Partymember
05-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Too late; I made a screencap. :blooevil:

I JUST deleted it!

You dirty, rotten...8D

Cassini90125
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I JUST deleted it!

You dirty, rotten...8D

I'll be PM-ing a copy of my power bill to you later. Excuse me while I go visit my Photobucket account... :blooevil: 8D

Does "Blackmail" count as a guilty pleasure? 8D

Partymember
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
you're an animal! :wiltshock:

bloonuggets
05-18-2007, 02:57 PM
"Too late; I made a screencap." :blooevil:
"I just deleted it.

"You dirty, rotten..."8D
"I'll be PM-ing a copy of my power bill to you later. Excuse me while I go visit my Photobucket account... :blooevil: 8D

"Does 'Blackmail' count as a guilty pleasure?" 8D

What have I done to deserve this?!

Cassini90125
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I fail to see where you're involved. :terrconf:

I sometimes talk to my computer while online. :-[

Lynnie
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Hmm, I think I'll bump this one too. Because I can. :bloocross:

I love PBS. PBS Kids especially. But I also love the British dramas they air and the comedies like The Red Green Show (which is from Canada). Antique Roadshow is another show I love. I even watch some of the concerts, like Sara Brightman.

I do enjoy reading, but I'm into kids books. I'm not talking about little kids, or teens. I'm talking about right in between. If you go to the library or book store, the section I hang out most is usually called something like "Young Readers". Books by American Girl, Magic Attic Club, and Stardust Classics are my favorite. Especially the first two because they deal with a lot of history. There's a brand new series out for American Girl, and I'm sooooo wanting it!! I'm reading the "Princess Diaries" series right now.

I also love antique books, of women's interest (so I'd find the topic interesting), printed pre 1920. I find them utterly fascinating! It's amazing how much we've learned as a society over the last 100 or so years, and how far we've come.

Cassini90125
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I also love antique books, of women's interest (so I'd find the topic interesting), printed pre 1920. I find them utterly fascinating! It's amazing how much we've learned as a society over the last 100 or so years, and how far we've come.

And, sadly, how far we have to go. :P

jekylljuice
07-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I do enjoy reading, but I'm into kids books. I'm not talking about little kids, or teens. I'm talking about right in between. If you go to the library or book store, the section I hang out most is usually called something like "Young Readers". Books by American Girl, Magic Attic Club, and Stardust Classics are my favorite. Especially the first two because they deal with a lot of history. There's a brand new series out for American Girl, and I'm sooooo wanting it!! I'm reading the "Princess Diaries" series right now.

Do you like "The Babysitters Club" books, Lynnie? They were among my favourites as a kid. I'm not sure what I did with the copies I had at the time, but in more recent years I've taken to re-collecting them from various charity shops and such, and I find that I get a massive kick out of reading them again. In fact, I think I've gotten far further with the series now (crikey, it's long!) than I ever did as a kid, lol. :oops:

Lynnie
07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh, my two best friends in Jr. High LOVED the Babysitter's Club. :bloogrin: I must admit I never got around to reading any of that series, though. But I can still picture them hanging out in the appropriate section of the library, swooning over the next book in line for them to read. The books were pretty popular too, it seemed. The covers were rather tattered. :cheese:

Major Abbey
07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I remember the Babysitters club. Back then, I would read anything I could get my hands on (I still do ;) )

My biggest guilty pleasure? Barbie movies. I love 'em. I'm 18 and I still love these movies. Heck, I write fanfiction based on the Nutcracker one.