PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Beat and the rest of Band

GrimTheLost
08-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Okay this is my thread about Dr. Beat and being in the band (much like the title states). So here is what we'll do: What instrument did/do you play, was/is there a marching season, what seat were/are you, and did/have you suffered the greatness of Dr. Beat?

I was a 4th chair alto sax in marching and 1st chair tenor sax for Wind Symphony.
Mrching season was the greatest (we were the best in the area... proven fact YAY!)
Lastly, our instructors ALWAYS used the Dr. Beat. Tell me more.

Here is the bands current site: http://www.ehhsband.com

Kzinistzerg
08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I played clarinet untill 8th grade. I currently and did play recorder. There wasn't when I was in band but there is now since we're in high school, i was fourth seat but it's was pretty informal and no we didn't.

rukift
08-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Auhgck, I can't stand Doctor Beat. :macwor: My instructor last year was addicted to it as well.

I've been in band for a long time, and only until this year my parents let me quit. They were weird, they like, expected me to be in it. In fifth grade they kept asking me questions like "what instrument are you going to play" and "how much do you think you're going to practice a night." Not "hey, do you wanna join band?" but more like... they made me, like it was a requirement. :| Not cool, having to put up with a class you hate for four years that was so *easy* to get out of. During my stay there I played Clarinet, still do, and I was usually in the last row. :-[

GrimTheLost
08-19-2006, 04:21 PM
In the span of 4 years our band has gone through 5 or 6 band directors. Good times.

vannielou
08-19-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm originally an orch dork with the cello, for 4 years now, I still play that in the band on the non marching season

right now I'm playing bells/xylophone I'd say out of the three of us i'm third chair but...i did only start playing this month

band is not the same as orchestra and I miss it dearly.

our band just purchased Dr. Beat, I've had prior experience

so let's just say kill me now.

BlooCheese
08-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Um...who or what is Dr. Beat?

Well, I played flute for three years in my school's band. First chair, but that didn't really count because that band was...not good. And no marching season. We were a pathetic excuse of a band...
And my band director...*shudders* Three years with him is plenty painful. He would keep on repeating the same jokes (if you could call them jokes) over and over again, each time expecting us to burst out into contagious laughter. For the three years I had him, he never ever came up with a new joke.
So now I'm in an symphony, and I'm the second flutist.

vannielou
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
it's a death machine

in metronome form

BlooCheese
08-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Are all metronomes Dr. Beats?

GrimTheLost
08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Are all metronomes Dr. Beats?

No, Dr. Beat is a special breed of metronomes. There are two types. They are louder, and have a woman's voice in them. They are the greatest metronome of ALL!!!!!:bloogrin

BlooCheese
08-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Then I do not have the pleasure of knowing Dr. Beat.

rukift
08-20-2006, 07:03 PM
No, Dr. Beat is a special breed of metronomes. There are two types. They are louder, and have a woman's voice in them. They are the greatest metronome of ALL!!!!!:bloogrin

I never heard Dr. Beat's womany voice. Just the standard "clicky click click" thing.

The band directors liked hiding deep dark secrets like that from us. :[

GrimTheLost
08-20-2006, 08:19 PM
My directors never kept secrets like that from us. One of ours didn't know of the woman voice and he jumped off of the podium.

rukift
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I can see why, I'm still sort of in shock over this discovery.

GrimTheLost
08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
You'll get used to it. I hated it when I was a freshman I think, but now that I've graduated I really miss the clinks and clanks of the Dr. Beat.

Imaginary Light
08-24-2006, 09:03 AM
I've been playing the viola in my school's orchestra since 4th grade...and now I'm going into 12th grade, so it's been quite a while. Since I'm a senior this year, I get to go through the senior presentation at the last orchestra concert:( ::sniff::

GrimTheLost
08-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I kinda wish I would have taken more advantage of being a senior last year.

GrimTheLost
10-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I am rehashing this in a way, because Marching season has been here for a while and I really want to know how it went for all of you, and if you weren't in it how is normal band or orchestra?

vannielou
10-08-2006, 07:07 AM
we've gone to 3 competitions and haven't even placed

yeah, we're that bad

but, now I'm playing in the pit for our school play with my original instrument the beautiful cello!
yay!

BlooCheese
10-10-2006, 03:31 PM
My flute teacher got a new metronome.

And it's Dr. Beat.

GrimTheLost
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
That's good BlooCheese. Our marching band is having alumni night. This Friday will be interesting.

BlooCheese
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, I'm not in a marching band, though I wish I was.
But yesterday in my symphony, I got promoted from second to principal flutist.

GrimTheLost
10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
But yesterday in my symphony, I got promoted from second to principal flutist.

That is great to hear. Hope you do good.;D

BlooCheese
10-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Why thank you.