PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Gave Me the Bird!

pitbulllady
01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, actually...I sorta did have to pay for the bird, but at least I can make payments, and the price was really good.

I went to get snake food from my friend who breeds rodents today. As it turns out, he also breeds Mini Dachshunds. Some people had come over on New Year's Day, wanting a puppy, and offered him a hand-fed, just-weaned baby Senegal Parrot in trade, since they breed birds. Since this guy deals with a lot of pet shops, he figured he'd be able to sell the bird to them, so he agreed to the trade. When I showed up to get rats and mice, there was this little green bird inside a folding wire dog crate, begging for attention, so naturally I had to take it home! The breeders told the guy that the bird is probably a female, based on width of pelvic bones, but that's not too reliable, so I will have to wait and see what color the adult under-tail feathers come in, since that is pretty reliable with Senegals. She/he is 11 weeks old, and really sweet! These are supposed to be fairly good talkers, though this one will probably learn to bark like a dog long before it can talk, lol! Fortunately, I already had a big cage, which had housed a ferret, so I had to just get some toys, perches and parrot food, and drag the cage out of storage, clean off the cobwebs, and rearrange the shelves and ladders to accomodate a small parrot instead of a weasel.

Anyway, here she is! Now, I just need a good name.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Other%20Animal%20Photos/DSCF3818.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Other%20Animal%20Photos/DSCF3821.jpg

pitbulllady

Cassini90125
01-03-2007, 01:52 PM
He/she's adorable! :D

koosie
01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
That second photo is incredible. That's a very lovely looking little Parrot. Congrats!

Partymember
01-03-2007, 02:08 PM
ha...after reading the headline i thought you were the person who tried to pass me on the right while i was turning right today...NOT COOL

some guy you dont know
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
actually getting a pet bird.. not what i thought the thread was about. but nonetheless, nice bird.

CG
01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Awwww, s/he is adorable! What a cutie! I love birds so much.

kageri
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Awwww, how cute! Coincidentally I got a bird a few weeks ago too, actually -- a Pacific Blue Parrotlet -- and the breeder also gave me a prediction of its gender (probably male) based on the width of the pelvic bones (which I didn't even know you could use to determine a bird's gender, I thought you always had to do DNA testing). They're probably even around the same age, too. Congrats! S/he is beautiful! I love the coloring of parrots, so diverse and mesmerizing to look at.

WiltFan
01-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Cute bird!:D I love the colors.

Sparky
01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Somehow I knew when I saw the title of this thread on the main page, I thought to myself that it must have been posted by pbl, who had just gotten another parrot. :)

Senegals are awesome! Good luck with her. I hate coming up with names so I won't be any help - I still haven't named the tarantula I got in September. :P

One Radical Dude
01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
That's a nice looking bird you've got there. :D

kaytea
01-03-2007, 03:59 PM
awww she's such a lil cutie =D

BlooCheese
01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Oooh! That's a really cute parrot you got.
Awwww, how cute! Coincidentally I got a bird a few weeks ago too, actually -- a Pacific Blue Parrotlet -- and the breeder also gave me a prediction of its gender (probably male) based on the width of the pelvic bones (which I didn't even know you could use to determine a bird's gender, I thought you always had to do DNA testing). They're probably even around the same age, too. Congrats! S/he is beautiful! I love the coloring of parrots, so diverse and mesmerizing to look at.
PACIFIC BLUE PARROTLET?! I've always wanted a blue parrotlet, especially since only one bird farm in my area sells parrotlets, and green ones at that, not that green's a bad color, but I like things beyond the norm.

pitbulllady
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Oooh! That's a really cute parrot you got.

PACIFIC BLUE PARROTLET?! I've always wanted a blue parrotlet, especially since only one bird farm in my area sells parrotlets, and green ones at that, not that green's a bad color, but I like things beyond the norm.

The blue parrotlets are beautiful, though they're a LOT more expensive than the greens! They are such tiny little things...even if THEY don't know that, lol!

Here's a picture of my still-nameless girl(?) on my hand, against the backdrop of my Wilt desktop(what else?), which is courtesy of Sparky's screengrabs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pitbulllady/Other%20Animal%20Photos/DSCF3822.jpg

pitbulllady

Jabberwocky
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Aww! She's so cute! I have a Senegal Parrot too, his name is Icarus.

They are very good talkers. The only things he says are shut up and whazzap, but he can imitate all sorts of animals because the people he used to live with had a lot of pets. If you pet him he purs. XD

pitbulllady
01-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Aww! She's so cute! I have a Senegal Parrot too, his name is Icarus.

They are very good talkers. The only things he says are shut up and whazzap, but he can imitate all sorts of animals because the people he used to live with had a lot of pets. If you pet him he purs. XD

Mine will probably be barking like a really big dog in no time flat!

pitbulllady

Carlaz
01-03-2007, 08:17 PM
She's simply gorgeous! Had you considered naming her Frankie?

BlooCheese
01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
The blue parrotlets are beautiful, though they're a LOT more expensive than the greens! They are such tiny little things...even if THEY don't know that, lol!

pitbulllady
For such small parrots, they sure bite surprisingly hard!

She's simply gorgeous! Had you considered naming her Frankie?

Hey, yeah! And if it's actually a male parrot, you can just call him Frank...or something.

Imaginary Light
01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
That is one beautiful parrot:)

Howard
01-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Pretty bird, pretty bird, pretty bird - AWK!:frankiesmile:

heartless95
01-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Omg its sooooo cute.I want a bird or a bunny but my mom has cats and they`ll kill any little animal besides a dog.

Carlaz
01-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Have you decided on a name for your parrot chick? :)

pitbulllady
01-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Have you decided on a name for your parrot chick? :)

Sorta. I'm calling her "DeDe" for now, unless I can come up with something better. It seems to suit her, though, and I figure it will be easier for her to learn to say it.

pitbulllady

Invader Bloo
01-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Cool parrot!

podpazie
01-06-2007, 11:30 AM
How about Rhiannon, Welsh Goddess of Birds, Horses, Enchantments, Fertility and the Underworld; or Freya , Norse Goddess of Love, Beauty, War, Magic and Wisdom?

TrickyDisco
01-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Aww so adorable! Just look at those doe-eyes in the last pic :oops:

How about naming it Duchess? ;) j/k

Ever singe I was a tiny girl I've wanted one of those big Macaws or an Australian Cockatoo...in the meantime I just foster wayward birds, my current adopted baby is a yellow parakeet (literally) grabbed out of a cat's mouth a couple of years ago. It's got an attitude to match! ;)

pitbulllady
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Aww so adorable! Just look at those doe-eyes in the last pic :oops:

How about naming it Duchess? ;) j/k

Ever singe I was a tiny girl I've wanted one of those big Macaws or an Australian Cockatoo...in the meantime I just foster wayward birds, my current adopted baby is a yellow parakeet (literally) grabbed out of a cat's mouth a couple of years ago. It's got an attitude to match! ;)

She doesn't act like a Duchess. She's actually a really sweet and affectionate bird, much nicer than the Quaker Parrot I had back in high school, but then, that bird was wild-caught, and this one is a captive-hatched, handfed bird that's "imprinted" on humans. She isn't "spooky" like my Quaker was, either. In fact, she's not afraid of even things that could be a danger, like snakes or cats. The only thing I've noticed that she's a bit leery of, oddly enough, are these red-orange price stickers with "$1.99" stamped on them, that I have to peel off the tops of the sugar-free energy drinks I am so addicted to! I often just stick 'em on the side of the computer until I get tired of looking at them, but for some reason, Ms. DeDe Bird is scared of the things! She's not loud, either-no screeching and shrieking like some parrots(and Quakers are among the worst), though she loves toys that make noise, like things with bells in them.

Her eye color, by the way, will change. It won't always be that dark brown you see now, since she is still very young. As she gets older, her eyes will turn bright yellow, which gives Senegal Parrots a bit of a menacing look. Back when these were still being imported(which thankfully was made illegal in 1992)these little birds had a reputation for nasty dispositions, and I have to wonder if those cold, hawklike yellow eyes contributed to that.

pitbulllady