PDA

View Full Version : ever seen a game that was too hard for your liking?

some guy you dont know
12-27-2006, 08:03 PM
well, like the title says. there are those games out there that will annoy anyone that cant beat? personally, i find most racing games to be hard. like right now, sonic riders. i cant even get past the 3rd race in story mode, and the controls are to hard for me to figure out.

but alas, i still love it for many unexplainable reasons. so how about you guys? anything to hard for you?

montitech
12-28-2006, 07:11 AM
yes and no. All good games should be solvable, but there are many that are very chalanging. All gameplayers(no matter how good they are) have eventually either abondon a game or use a Cheat/walkthrough to help them. I have finished many games in the past, without Helpers, but I do sometimes resort to helpers to keep the game entertaining before abandoning it.

Curently I only play a fraction of the games that I use to play ten years ago, also I have not played many console games since the early 90's (my last consol machine was the Saga CD)

I love games that take only a few days to complete, mostly adventure games. I use to like RPG but they just take too long to build up characters ( with the exception of Might and Magic series)

I would agree that most driving games are hard. with some levels/missions next to imposible to complete. However I found GTA3 not bad(If that counts as a racing Game)

Also sometimes System Hardware makes a big difference in Gameplay. I've played some old games that just run to fast on newer hardware. and I have seen many games that run very poorly on the recomended Hardware. Noctropolic by EA was the best example of this, it either ran too slow or too fast there was no Ideal hardware for that game.

back on topic, Two games I recently abandoned, uninstalled and may reload eventually are Comandos 3, and Midnight Club 2. commandos 3 is so hard compared to the eirlier comandos titles. and midnight club 2 was good, I made it about half way through, but I unloaded it to free Disk space becasue it was getting anoiing to rerun the same race 20 times before passing it.

Monty :-/

Voxxyn
12-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Devil May Cry 3. I rented it over a year ago, and I didn't get past the very first part of the first level. :-[

Partymember
12-28-2006, 07:28 AM
any Legend of Zelda game

montitech
12-29-2006, 06:25 AM
any Legend of Zelda game

Event the first one for the original NES???

monty :-/

Partymember
12-29-2006, 07:37 AM
actually i got the 4 Zelda games in one disc w/my Cube, but yeah...its really not very straightforward at all. I'm almost there, though, i haven't played it in about a year. I really don't get Majora's Mask or Ocarina. When i get my Revolution i'll pick up the new one. I need to get Wind Wakers, too, i'm guessin' thats about $20 now.

some guy you dont know
12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
actually i got the 4 Zelda games in one disc w/my Cube, but yeah...its really not very straightforward at all. I'm almost there, though, i haven't played it in about a year. I really don't get Majora's Mask or Ocarina. When i get my Revolution i'll pick up the new one. I need to get Wind Wakers, too, i'm guessin' thats about $20 now.

dont you mean the wii?

anyways, back on topic, i also find the GTA games hard to beat. all of them. i just die to easily in them.

Partymember
12-29-2006, 08:53 AM
oh..yeah. Wii.

Another hard game is Tetris, how do you win? That and Battletoads for the NES.

BlooCheese
12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Splinter Cell Double Agent was kind of hard for me at first. I could never figure out which button did what, and whenever I tried jumping from high places, I always ended up killing myself. But now I can do it all. Fun game.

taranchula
12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Another hard game is Tetris, how do you win?

You can win if you're playing B-Type on the NES or Gameboy Versions, I used to be able to do level 9, height 5 all the time. 8D

One Radical Dude
12-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Tetris, man. Tetris. Loved that game. :)

montitech
12-29-2006, 07:31 PM
anyways, back on topic, i also find the GTA games hard to beat. all of them. i just die to easily in them.

I hated playing GTA 1 and 2, I never even finished the first Island on them. but GTA 3, and vice city were not so bad, It is Hard to get everything in the game, but provided you are able to get it running smooth enough then it just takes a LOT of practice, and knowing what car to use for what race, and were to find that car. Once you know where to get the cool stuff, it becomes a lot more fun.

The bloo
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Tetris

Kzinistzerg
01-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Crazy Tetrix. God that game is so annoying.. and addicting. it's tetris, except, instead of max 4 blocks, there's a max of five, AND each block can be divided into four minitriangles so your pieces are NUTS.

Partymember
01-01-2007, 03:25 PM
how do you beat Pac-Man? WAKAWAKAWAKAWAKAWAKA

Jabberwocky
01-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Couldn't get past the part in Xenosaga where the monster hologram things come aliiiive.

I suck at turn-based fighting in general.

@Partymember: I got a high score on Ms. Pacman at the mall. Considering my scores are always high scores, I think I'm the only one who has ever used that machine. XD

Partymember
01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
LOL +1

i rock the ANCIENT Pac-Man machine at the local bar/hotel/golf course. Great game.

Jabberwocky
01-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I want a really old one for my rec room. That would be rad.

Oh, and DDR is possibly the hardest game ever invented by anyone, ever.

Partymember
01-01-2007, 04:53 PM
would you believe me if i said i've never DDR'd? And yes, owning a Pac-Man machine is a goal of mine.

I'll take a picture of this old thing next time i go, i think they're closed for the winter. This machine is absolutley the oldest unit i've ever seen...well, i saw an older one at a CiCi's in Rochester. The thing had a stained wood frame and a plexiglass top, you sat down and rocked the little joystick, i think it cost a nickel or a dime to play.

montitech
01-02-2007, 06:50 AM
would you believe me if i said i've never DDR'd? And yes, owning a Pac-Man machine is a goal of mine.

I'll take a picture of this old thing next time i go, i think they're closed for the winter. This machine is absolutley the oldest unit i've ever seen...well, i saw an older one at a CiCi's in Rochester. The thing had a stained wood frame and a plexiglass top, you sat down and rocked the little joystick, i think it cost a nickel or a dime to play.

I think most of the sit down ones, were created latter and mostly for Bars, because it gave space to put your drink and ashtray, a feature that the kids did not need. Of the 2 packman sit down versions I ever saw, one was a fake packman clone (this was back in 82-83) the other was in the 90's so it was proboly newer machine that was customized and not original.
(Naturally I could be wrong, I never worked for a video game company)

The way to tell if a game is really old (or close to original) is look for the ashtray and the cigarete burns. Many games at the old arcades had ashtrays mounted to them, since smoking was not banned from public places until around '87+/-5

Medikor
01-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the classic NES series Castlevania on the GBA and I play it on and of. I havent beaten it in the year or so I've had it. It is VERY hard. The thing is, I think I've become too used to the games of today. I grew-up on the NES and beat many of the difficult games because I stuck with them and games at that time were made for a differant breed: the old-school gamer. Granted, I am no sloutch at gameing but games today are made to be more accessable to the casual gamer. I'm not complaining, just pointing out how much the franchise has evolved.:D

Mr. Marshmallow
01-02-2007, 04:05 PM
I kinda don't get the point behind the question, is this for games you DO like and are very hard or games you want to play but can't because there too hard? Because I kinda got video games for both of those categories and I wanted to be sure.

I just want to know which is it?

some guy you dont know
01-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I kinda don't get the point behind the question, is this for games you DO like and are very hard or games you want to play but can't because there too hard? Because I kinda got video games for both of those categories and I wanted to be sure.

I just want to know which is it?

more or less, its both

Voxxyn
01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I need to get Wind Wakers, too, i'm guessin' thats about $20 now.

If you find the other Zelda games "hard", I recommend you get Wind Waker, since many fans agree it's one of the easiest games in the series.

One Radical Dude
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I have to throw in some of the Castlevania games (the ones for NES and Super NES). Not a die-hard fan of the series, but I loved the games, even with it being difficult.

Dark "DC" Chaos
01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd have to say Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Genesis. That game has one of the most ridiculous learning curves I've ever seen; as if you should know how to form 12-point chain reaction combos from the second competitor on.

Medikor
01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
The Megaman X series is often commented on as being too hard for fans of the original Blue Bomber. I find it the other way around. I can play through X1-4 blindfolded but I have trouble with the original megaman games, especially 2 and 3.

emperor26
01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know if any of you heard of this, but I find Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga too difficult to finish.

One Radical Dude
01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
The Megaman X series is often commented on as being too hard for fans of the original Blue Bomber. I find it the other way around. I can play through X1-4 blindfolded but I have trouble with the original megaman games, especially 2 and 3.

2 and 3 were awesome in my book, but yeah, they were pretty dang difficult, too. The first one, to me, was really hard. I don't believe I've ever beaten that one.

Mr. Marshmallow
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Megaman's X games were a glorified pain in the ass. I only successfully managed to get to the end of the first 2 X games, I never could kill the final boss Sigma in X 1, and I always died against one of the 3 robot mid bosses in Megaman X 2.

Okay, here's my game low down. The only games that I WANTED to play but couldn't because they were too hard, or not my personal choice, were Chrono Cross and Kingdom Hearts. I love BOTH of those games VERY very much.

But I hate rpgs, I just can't get into them and I never could get the hang of them. So I settled for watching my brother play them. Which was fine by me, Kingdom Hearts has one of the greatest stories I have ever seen in a game.

And I'm not gonna let my inability to play rpgs to prevent me from seeing such a magnificent storyline. Now, the only video game I do play and is extremely freaking hard would be Jak 2 for the Playstation 2. I LOVE the Jak game series.

But Jak 2 was insanely hard, talk about a controller thrower. Half the challeneges in that game are so unbelviably difficult and frustrating, I end up screaming and cursing at the screen till my voice dies out or something.

Jak 3 and even Jak X: Combat racing were no where near as difficult as Jak 2 was, still, I love the game to death and I love the Jak series no matter what.

scary_dream
01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Link's Awakening on GameBoy was REALLY fun and pretty easy until the last dungeon. It was like they realized "Oh crap, we're coming to the last dungeon already?? But we've programmed these other dungeons to be pretty easy!! We can't have the whole game be easy like that! Let's make this one MEGA HARD with a bunch of stuff they've never even seen before!"

Most of the other dungeons were relatively straightforward with a few good, challenging puzzles here and there, and then all of a sudden they throw a dungeon on me that's got like, 5 floors and you have to fall through holes in the upper floors to get to necessary areas. It's seriously like one big Rubik's cube.

I played the dungeon for like, 45 minutes and went in CIRCLES the whole time, so I turned it off and haven't played it since. It made me pretty angry that they'd do something like that.

Kzinistzerg
01-09-2007, 04:36 PM
... I never got past that gold robot dude on Jedi knight 2, even though I could do every other part of the game. Bah.

Fomalhaut
01-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Baldur's Gate! That was a pretty hard one...

Bride_Of_Lister
01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I never finished Ocarina Of Time, I'm too much of a sook to play the Shadow Dungeon. The hands that fall out the celing seriously freak me out. T_T

Me and my Dad (Yes, my Dad. It was our first console game ever!) spent over 100 hours on Banjo-Kazooie and then you had to go back and get all the notes so we gave up. ^^o