PDA

View Full Version : Hello, hello...

Ditchy McAbandonpants
12-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Ah, I like introductions pages. They're so cheerful.

First, a belated Merry Christmas to you all! I happened upon Never Forgotten via the link from Craig McCracken's lovely (though infrequently updated) BLOGregard Q. Kazoo production site, and I must say that it's really great to find a decent fansite for this wonderful show.

By way of an introduction, this is my own Foster's story...I've never actually had Cartoon Network at home, but I've always liked what I've seen, which is why I always relish holidaying with my relatives, who do subscribe to it. It was whilst I was spending the summer at my uncle's place in 2000 that I discovered The Powerpuff Girls, which I fell totally in love with, but from which I'd taken an enforced hiatus for a couple of years due to my own lack of cable TV. Therefore, when staying with the same relatives this summer, my first priority was naturally to catch up with the latest Powerpuff episodes. Imagine my dismay, then, when I realised that in the time I had "been away" from the show, the Girls had been cancelled, the loss of Craig McCracken after Season Four leading to a relatively weak final two seasons and a corresponding drop-off in interest. Just looking at the scheduling, it was clear that this show that I had loved, that had once been CN's flagship, was now yesterday's news, with little remaining to appease the dwindling loyalists other than reruns of the sub-par later episodes that had killed the show off in the first place.

I was upset by this. :'(

In the midst of my downer about the demise of Powerpuff, that other show that I had seen on sometimes (you know, that one that looked a bit like a Flash animation, with some shaggy-haired kid and a weird blue thing) didn't register on my radar at all...at least, I didn't think it had. In truth, Cartoon Network's policy of peppering ad breaks with music spots, character scenes and other random teasers had made me curious about a few things I'd seen, like that strange palm-tree-bird thing, or the harassed red-headed girl in the green sweater, or that catchy ragtime music...even so, it was nothing but laziness that stopped me just changing the channel when the announcer said "Coming Next: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends".

But then the opening sequence came up, with the lovely, dreamy beginning that segued into that crazy ragtime...then "Oh, so THIS is the show with the palm-tree-thing...AND the red-headed girl...and the blue thing..."...then..."CREATED BY CRAIG MCCRACKEN?!" It was like someone pricked me with a pin, and boy, did I jump to attention then! Even so, as I started to watch, I was a bit conflicted. I loved Powerpuff, and here was the show he left it to produce, thus effectively condemning PPG to its end; could this show possibly justify that to me?

The episode was "Bloo Done It". The first time I heard Wilt's voice ("But I put everything but the kitchen sink into that kitchen sink article!"), I knew I liked the show. By the time it got to Frankie-as-a-southern-belle, I realised that Mr McCracken is a bona fide genius.

Sorry to wax lyrical, but I got lost in my own reminiscing there. :frankiesmile: It's just that the Powerpuff Girls were (and are) a very ingrained passion; that show's demise felt almost like a personal loss. The emergence of Foster's cushioned that blow, and as it continues to flourish, it shows me that the wit, quality characterisation and innocent spirit that defined PPG live on. It's a worthy successor, and coming from me, there's no greater praise. ;)

To conclude; I love Foster's, and I'm glad sites like this exist.

One Radical Dude
12-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey, Ditchy. Welcome aboard. I'm ORD. That's such an interesting story. We are glad to have you here. :)

Voxxyn
12-26-2006, 06:32 AM
WHOA! That's such a great story.

Make yourself at home! :)

Cassini90125
12-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the Forum! :D

"C" the Dragon
12-26-2006, 07:19 AM
At least you can visit your relative's place to see the show!:) And welcome to NeverForgotten, Ditchy!:D And it seems that you already became a Wilt fan, I guess.:D So am I! Woo hoo!

some guy you dont know
12-26-2006, 07:23 AM
hey, welcome!

Imaginary Light
12-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Welcome to Never Forgotten!

taranchula
12-26-2006, 12:28 PM
You have one of the coolest screen names ever. :D

Welcome aboard.

Carlaz
12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello Ditchy! Hope you'll enjoy yourself here. :D

Howard
12-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Welocme and have a Happy New Year!:frankiesmile:

koosie
12-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeh I miss those Powerpuffs too...that was epic
but the world keeps turning and we're still in cartoon golden age thanks to shows like Fosters and it is so nice talk about it.
Hello!

Subzeroace
12-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey Ditchy! I'm SubZ, welcome to the forum! Awesome story, PPG was great o.o

Bloo2daMacs
12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the forums, Ditchy!

Partymember
12-26-2006, 04:28 PM
What's up dude!

You know, theres a rumor floating around that says if you listen to the powerpuff girls themesong backwards it says "Craig is a dead man. Miss him, miss him."

LOL :frankiesmile:

Sparky
12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Welcome! :terrsmile: I hope your username isn't an indication of what we can expect of you in the future. 8D

emperor26
12-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi Ditchy, and welcome to the forum.

Ditchy McAbandonpants
12-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Heh...cheers for the welcome, guys. The story itself really isn't that amazing - essentially, it was just a really long-winded way of saying "I watched Foster's this one time, and I really liked it" 8D - but I guess I just felt like gushing about how much I love the show. I saw the pics of Sparky and ORD meeting Craig McCracken and Lauren faust at Comic-Con - now THERE'S a story! :D

"C" the Dragon - well, those relatives actually live in a different continent, so I don't think it's worth the eight-hour plane journey each day. There's limits to my love. :P Still, thanks to the wonders of the internet, I'm working my way through the episodes now, free of concerns such as scheduling and air dates. I feel somewhat bad getting it for free, but it's not possible for me to see it any other way right now, and besides, I'll still buy the official DVDs as and when they come out.

Oh, and I do like Wilt. :D I just find it very refreshing to find a character, especially in a "kids' show", who can get by on sheer pleasantness and affability, who doesn't need over-the-top zaniness or some other crazy gimmick to be memorable. The wonky design and Phil LaMarr's laidback voice-over (still can't get over the fact he was Marvin in Pulp Fiction...8D) just top it off. I remain primarily a Frankie guy, though...she's such a likeable, sympathetic and relatable character, with lots of different, contrasting facets to her role, status and relationships making her endlessly flexible and versatile. And she's punk rock! :frankiesmile:

(I can see I'm in good comapny on the Frankie fandom, by the way - I just read over the "Goofball John Magee" topic in the Character Discussion board. Voxxyn scares me a little. :P)

(EDIT: Though having said that, I just went into that topic and typed out freaking War and Peace, so I can't talk. :P)

Invader Bloo
12-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Welcome! Oh yeah I'm a big fan of the as you first called her "red head girl".:D

Partymember
12-27-2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=Ditchy McAbandonpants;24968 Though having said that, I just went into that topic and typed out freaking War and Peace, so I can't talk. :P)[/QUOTE]

Is that a good book? Haven't read it yet.

Nathander
12-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey there! Welcome to the forums!

BlooCheese
12-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Hello Ditchy McAbandonpants!
I read your "War and Peace" in the Goofball thread. Excellent argument you put up.

kageri
12-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Welcome to our club! It's nice to have articulate people around! Frankie fans seem to be joining in droves. Which is cool, because she's so great.

Voxxyn
12-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I read your post on the Goofball thread as well. I promise I'll give a more detailed response in the following days, but I thought it was a very intelligent post. It doesn't at all change my personal feelings on Goofball and the episode, but you did a great job arguing both sides. There are a few points I'd like to counter-argue, but that can wait.

In any case, I appreciate seeing yet another Frankie lover. :frankiesmile: