PDA

View Full Version : Animation legend Joe Barbera, 1911-2006

One Radical Dude
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
The other half of the Hanna-Barbera animation duo passed away at the age of 95. Read all about it here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061219/ap_en_tv/obit_barbera).

Sad to see him go :( , but at least he went peacefully and quietly (which isn't something that's found in every death). He's done so much for the animation industry. Tom and Jerry will remain my favorite work he and Bill Hanna were involved in over the many years. Thanks for the memories, Joe. R.I.P.

Nyo
12-19-2006, 11:52 AM
*pats Tom and Jerry on the head* :(

Dude, that's so sad.

Howard
12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
I am taking this very hard right now. I was the same way when Bill Hanna died 5 years ago.:(

Jabberwocky
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Aw Joe. :( :'(

Happy belated deathday, I guess. Thanks for all that you did.

InsaneFan
12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Aw man...Dude, this is depressing. Dx Especially since I *just* today handed in my research paper on the history of animation. I read all about Barbera, Hanna, Disney and ALL thems.

This SUCKS.

Voxxyn
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Rest in peace, man.

kageri
12-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Aw man.... rest in peace, Mr. Barbera. It's so sad that so many animation greats are gone. D:

taranchula
12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Joe Barbara was one of the true pioneers of the industry, and he will be dearly missed by all lovers of animation.

JB, I salute you!

Imaginary Light
12-19-2006, 01:11 PM
:(

R.I.P.

CG
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
All the animators who paved the way for today's shows are now thinning out. Disney, Hanna, Barbera, those whose names represent not just the people, but the life they brought to the characters they created. It is a sad day for animation that one of the forefathers has passed on, but at least Mr Barbera went peacefully and wasn't ravaged by a disease like so many people suffer from in this day and age we live in.

Ninety-five years old, five years shy of living an entire 100 years. Imagine the things this man had seen. Germany air attacks, Babe Ruth, the car overpowering the horse and buggy, technology becoming more advanced, the trips into space, man walks on the moon; he's seen mankind change so much in his 95 years and now he's left us.

His work with Hanna will always be remembered fondly by those children who grew up when the Flintstones were still in black and white to those who caught the coloured re-runs of all their other shows in the 80's and 90's.

He had a style you could recognise too. You look from Fred Flintstone, to George Jetson, Huckleberry Hound, Snagletooth and even Shaggy and you know they were penned by the same man. He didn't stick to what was expected with styles, and he made us some of the most well beloved characters in animation. Heck, 'Yabba-dabba-do' has become one of the most recognisable catch phrases; and it wouldn't have happened without Hanna and Barbera.

Both these two legendary men are gone now, but the foundation that they lay, paving the way for animators not only now but in the future will remain strong. They won't be forgotten.

Partymember
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
well, as sad as it is, he was very old. Rest In Peace.

Mr. Marshmallow
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
That really sucks actually.

I actually wasn't aware Barbera was still alive, I thought he and Hana were dead years ago. Anyways it's still a shame such a great legend is gone.

It is good he died peacefully, I mean at that age and in that way, that's the best you could ask for in a passing.

Carlaz
12-19-2006, 02:11 PM
All the animators who paved the way for today's shows are now thinning out. Disney, Hanna, Barbera, those whose names represent not just the people, but the life they brought to the characters they created. It is a sad day for animation that one of the forefathers has passed on, but at least Mr Barbera went peacefully and wasn't ravaged by a disease like so many people suffer from in this day and age we live in.

Ninety-five years old, five years shy of living an entire 100 years. Imagine the things this man had seen. Germany air attacks, Babe Ruth, the car overpowering the horse and buggy, technology becoming more advanced, the trips into space, man walks on the moon; he's seen mankind change so much in his 95 years and now he's left us.

His work with Hanna will always be remembered fondly by those children who grew up when the Flintstones were still in black and white to those who caught the coloured re-runs of all their other shows in the 80's and 90's.

He had a style you could recognise too. You look from Fred Flintstone, to George Jetson, Huckleberry Hound, Snagletooth and even Shaggy and you know they were penned by the same man. He didn't stick to what was expected with styles, and he made us some of the most well beloved characters in animation. Heck, 'Yabba-dabba-do' has become one of the most recognisable catch phrases; and it wouldn't have happened without Hanna and Barbera.

Both these two legendary men are gone now, but the foundation that they lay, paving the way for animators not only now but in the future will remain strong. They won't be forgotten.

CG ~ that was very classy & beautifully stated.

I grew up watching mostly Hanna Barbera cartoons. They definitely made an impact in my life.

montitech
12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

I am so sad : (

Monty

koosie
12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
As I recall H&B's innovations made animation more affordable and therefore more of it got made. What a great contribution to have made to the world.
RIP friend!

GrimTheLost
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
When I heard about this I a piece of me died. He will be missed dearly.

fosters home fan
12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
This is really sad news.:( I love to watch Hanna-Barbera cartoons,too.
Rest In Peace,Joe Barbera. How many other animation legends are living anymore?

WiltFan
12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
This is really depressing...:(

Medikor
12-25-2006, 02:18 PM
I have to admit that Hana Barbera cartoons were never my cup of tea but I do respect the man and his work. He will be missed.:(

montitech
12-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I have to admit that Hana Barbera cartoons were never my cup of tea but I do respect the man and his work. He will be missed.:(

They Had many great cartoons in each Decade. for instance in the 80's my favorite Hanna-Barbera cartoons were : Smurfs, Shirt Tails, Snorks and Pound Puppies.
Naturally I also liked many of the older ones from the 60 and 70 as well

Monty :-/

some guy you dont know
12-25-2006, 08:06 PM
I actually wasn't aware Barbera was still alive, I thought he and Hana were dead years ago. Anyways it's still a shame such a great legend is gone.

so did i. always thought they died somewhere in the 80s or something. gonna be a sadder place now that the last of the two is gone. he was a god of animation.

RIP barbera, have fun wherever you are

Invader Bloo
12-26-2006, 08:01 PM
R.I.P.
The world wouldn't be the same w/o him.