PDA

View Full Version : Hairy caterpillars!!!

fosters home fan
12-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Since this is the off topic area of the forum I thought I should ask this.

Has anyone ever seen a Woolly Bear caterpillar before? They are about 2 inches long and covered with a bunch of hairs. My dad and I caught one earlier this year. :cheese:

Carlaz
12-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeppers! They're cute little critters aren't they?

SkittleMonkey
12-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Yep, we got lots of those where we live. My mom accidentally hit one with her car before. Made me sad...

Partymember
12-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, i always swerve to avoid them! They are adorable, and if they walk on you they tickle.

I almost hit a chipmunk, the little guy stopped and turned back RIGHT as i was about to hit him! Silly little bugger!

fosters home fan
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Yep, we got lots of those where we live. My mom accidentally hit one with her car before. Made me sad...

:( that's sad. But here is the little story about how the woolly bear I found was caught. My dad and I went driving on a country road looking for one and my dad spotted a woolly bear sitting on the road. A big truck almost squished him but luckily dad turned to the left a bit so the truck missed the woolly bear, thus dad and I caught it! It was a bigger one exactly 2 inches long! Another one spotted last year (In the yard) was about 1 1/2 inches long. Anyone heard of the myth that they can predict the winter? :herriman:

Partymember
12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
here ya go!

"According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, the longer the middle brown band, the milder and shorter the coming winter; the shorter the brown band, the longer and more severe winter will be."

Yes, i've heard of it. Oh! One time i had to avoid a turtle on the road. A couple of guys had stopped to help him, and you should have seen the look on their faces as i come ripping up the hill. I didn't hit the little guy, though.:-/